Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Glenfield Model 60

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Re: Glenfield Model 60

Post by RetiredSeabee » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:09 pm

Ojaileveraction wrote:
RetiredSeabee wrote:Nice find, looks like you woke up the cat.
And the pink towel is a nice touch.
Remington (the cat) just wanted to know why I moved his pink towel.
Your cat is named Remington! I love it.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:38 pm

Took the Glenfield to the range. I did a light cleaning . The barrel was shiny with its microgroove self. Action was sticky
At the range I went through a full magazine 16 rounds reloa dad and I started to get FtFire. Lite marks on cases. Kept doing it and I stopped.
That first mag though. It's a shooter. It my become a favorite.
Got home and took it down to components.
15548674544771400545533.jpg
Balistol and a wire brush
Along with a YT video.
Tim
Used the last of my AMSoil gun cleaner to soak it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Pax at Justitia

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:06 am

I took my late sister's husband's (BIL) Glenfield 60 apart and was putting it back together when the guts just seemed "too wide" in a spot to go into the receiver housing. About the time I noticed all the e (c) clips were gone, something sprang out. :?

I got everything back, but now have to watch a YouTube or two to see how to put back together this one spring/spring guide. I swear it takes three hands :lol:

BTW, I had already replaced the trigger assembly on the gun due to a safety malfunction, so it's kind of an ongoing thing with these old Marlins. :)

BTW, I didn't shoot it much but it seemed to keep up with the other Marlins...some very small groups.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:14 am

Hope you got it figured out!
pinkchk_xsm.png
Ojaileveraction wrote:...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:26 am

Mags wrote:.
Hope you got it figured out!
Me too.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Pudsky
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pudsky » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:32 am

Those old model 60s are a fun rifle, nice score! Those are what I grew up shooting. If that rifle has not been gone through, take it apart and check out the buffer. It's probably in pieces. Part key 5 in the diagram on this page: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufa ... -new-model

Edit: shoulda read all the posts in this thread before I posted. I see you did take it down. How was the buffer? I recently cleaned and repaired 3 model 60s of various years that have been neglected at my dads place for a long time. A 64, 81 and 82. All 3 had disintegrated buffers. A missing spring or 2, but they all worked. A simple but sweet rifle
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:45 am

A gunsmith/gun dealer I knew used to take Model 60s in that weren't functioning and buy them cheap. He'd then do a complete clean, get them to shoot and sell for a profit. He really liked the Model 60, but wasn't bashful about taking advantage of the fact that the 60 is harder to clean than a lot of the competition.
1 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:41 am

Well the nothing was very dirty. The bore cleaned up with a few wipes. The action I spayed and let things soak in the wiped everything down. The closet varnish came off very quickly.
Looked like it was shot a little and the put in the back of a closet to be moved around for a few years.
Spings and other parts look good, the buffer is intact.
Can't wait to get it out again.
Tim
0 x
Pax at Justitia

MuddyWaters62
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MuddyWaters62 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:00 pm

i had a Marlin 60 in the M-1 carbine version. It had the 1970 commenrative medallion in the butt stock. That gun would shoot bug holes at ridiculous distances with cheap bulk ammo. I gave that gun to my grandson for his 12th B'day. He is a squirrel hunting fool. He lives in deep East Texas. My son is a Captain for TP&W game warden. Perks, you know!! I am very proud of both of them.posting.php?mode=reply&f=15&t=6524#http ... =15&t=6524#
MuddyWaters62
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:37 pm

I bought a brand new model 60 with a scope in the early 70s. I think I paid $21 for it.

Ended up kinking the recoil spring on disassembly, and eventually gave it to a buddy of mine, as I never shot it. He replaced the spring and one or two other small components, and it still works like a champ.

I prefer my H001, but got a lot of good shooting out of the Marlin. Especially for twenty bucks.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya