Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Pedersoli Reproductions

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Pedersoli Reproductions

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:03 pm

Dan, yeah, I'm in the same position now that I've gotten out of reloading. Right now, there's gorgeous Ruger 1S in 45-70 at our local shop, but I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money when I already have a couple 45-70 barrels for the TCs, especially given the price of 45-70 factory ammo.

You can NEVER go wrong with a 22 LR bolt gun.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:18 pm

RanchRoper wrote:Have a look at the Uberti 1885 hi or low wall.
Thanks

I think the low wall would actually be the better fit, but I’m also looking at a Anschutz 64 MPR or a 1903 currently.

The whole bench thing is new to me and I also need to figure out which scope to go with and rather I want to get a bipod or not.
Last edited by dddrees on Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:23 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Dan, yeah, I'm in the same position now that I've gotten out of reloading. Right now, there's gorgeous Ruger 1S in 45-70 at our local shop, but I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money when I already have a couple 45-70 barrels for the TCs, especially given the price of 45-70 factory ammo.

You can NEVER go wrong with a 22 LR bolt gun.
Yeah, even though I knew it wouldn’t be but maybe a few times a year, even then it would either be just a few rounds or it would end up being a more expensive day than I would care to spend.

Frankly it sounds based on the little research that I did and I could be wrong but it sounds more like a rifle for those into loading and firing black powder.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:06 pm

I think what kept me from buying the used Shilo Sharps 45-70 I was looking at a couple years ago was the need to start loading a new caliber and having to get everything that goes with that.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:08 pm

Mistered wrote:I think what kept me from buying the used Shilo Sharps 45-70 I was looking at a couple years ago was the need to start loading a new caliber and having to get everything that goes with that.
Personally I don’t reload and since it involves some things I’m generally not that good at I think it’s best I’m not doing that.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:29 pm

dddrees wrote:
Thanks

I think the low wall would actually be the better fit, but I’m also looking at a Anschutz 64 MPR or a 1903 currently.

The whole bench thing is new to me and I also need to figure out which scope to go with and rather I want to get a bipod or not.
Dan, I like bipods, but one big negative, in my experience, is that a gun on a bipod often shoots to a different POI than the same gun without a bipod, which kind of locks you in to using a bipod all the time. I like bipods for use in the field when a bench or other rest is not convenient at hand, but almost every bench shooter in pursuit of ultimate accuracy shoots from a conventional rest with bags. Those can be used with any gun, but not all guns are bipod friendly. Learning how to use a rest with bags at the bench is a skill that every serious bench shooter needs to learn. My two cents, anyway.
1 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:53 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
dddrees wrote:
Thanks

Dan, I like bipods, but one big negative, in my experience, is that a gun on a bipod often shoots to a different POI than the same gun without a bipod, which kind of locks you in to using a bipod all the time. I like bipods for use in the field when a bench or other rest is not convenient at hand, but almost every bench shooter in pursuit of ultimate accuracy shoots from a conventional rest with bags. Those can be used with any gun, but not all guns are bipod friendly. Learning how to use a rest with bags at the bench is a skill that every serious bench shooter needs to learn. My two cents, anyway.
Thanks NCG, I”ll put that on hold for now. I was thinking maybe the bipod would give me an option of going either way. I can see where that might get in the way however and I don’t really want to spend money on something best not to get in the first place.

I think the scope will be a bit more difficult. I have absolutely no experience doing that. I think I want something decent but I hadn’t planned on spending as much on the scope as I do the rifle.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:39 am

Dan, you can certainly spend as much on a scope as you want, but there is no need to pay as much for a scope as the gun, especially on a rimfire, even though some scope snobs will insist, otherwise. I've even used a lowly Simmons 3-9x 22 Mag scope which set me back all of $40 and it did the job. I usually move up into the Nikon Rimfire scope line for my serious rimfire rifles because the Nikons have excellent optics, but even the best of those will still be well under $200.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:00 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Dan, you can certainly spend as much on a scope as you want, but there is no need to pay as much for a scope as the gun, especially on a rimfire, even though some scope snobs will insist, otherwise. I've even used a lowly Simmons 3-9x 22 Mag scope which set me back all of $40 and it did the job. I usually move up into the Nikon Rimfire scope line for my serious rimfire rifles because the Nikons have excellent optics, but even the best of those will still be well under $200.

I'm completely a newb here, but I would like to make informed decision as best as I can. I'm not sure even if I know the right questions to ask.

For example what are the brands and what are they known for? Basically who all are the players and what do I get for the money. Is the Leopold brand the best if not who is? Who has the clearest glass and who has the best warranty? If I don't wish to go with the best who are the players right below and who still has a great deal but with a good warranty?

I'm not sure distance wise what I should be looking at but I am thinnking 100 yards sounds about right. Is that the range I should be expecting to be able to shoot or should that be any further? Based on something I saw that might mean I am looking at 4 magnification, I think.

I'm thinking rings maybe the next thing to consider. Not only size for scope and dove tail but maybe heigth as well. This may also require a bit of research but I'm not entirely sure. I do know eye relief is supposedly very important. Spotting scope may also become necessary as well.

Thanks again,

Dan
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:27 pm

Dan, you could write a book on the subject, but first thing to do is outline how you'll be using the gun, considering the type of gun, cartridge, target size and, of course distance you'll be shooting. Will you be shooting from a rest, at the range or will you be hunting and so on? The scope you use should be a reflection of all of these factors.

Lots of personal preference involved, too. For instance, I could in theory put a giant 8-32 x50 scope on my little Browning SA -22 and, yes, such a scope would maximize the accuracy of the little Browning, but such a scope with mount and rings would completely destroy the handling qualities of the little SA 22, not to mention aesthetics going out the window. Or how about putting the latest tactical scope with huge turrets, oversized bells, add on laser and highly complicated ballistic reticles on a traditional lever gun? Some folks do it, though. Yup, have seen some pretty unusual rigs in my time.
0 x