Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Pedersoli Reproductions

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Pedersoli Reproductions

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:55 pm

You never know when you might need to hit a wooden bucket 1200 yards away, 3 times, during a job interview....
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:12 pm

I'll just bet you could give old Quigley a run for the money, RR. :) That was such great scene.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:37 pm

North Country Gal wrote:I'll just bet you could give old Quigley a run for the money, RR. :) That was such great scene.
Selleck is rich, famous and good looking but he doesn't have that inner warmth that I have... :)
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:09 pm

I'll take inner warmth, any day. Really important, up here in the cold north. :)
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:48 am

North Country Gal wrote:Dan, you could write a book on the subject, but first thing to do is outline how you'll be using the gun, considering the type of gun, cartridge, target size and, of course distance you'll be shooting. Will you be shooting from a rest, at the range or will you be hunting and so on? The scope you use should be a reflection of all of these factors.

Lots of personal preference involved, too. For instance, I could in theory put a giant 8-32 x50 scope on my little Browning SA -22 and, yes, such a scope would maximize the accuracy of the little Browning, but such a scope with mount and rings would completely destroy the handling qualities of the little SA 22, not to mention aesthetics going out the window. Or how about putting the latest tactical scope with huge turrets, oversized bells, add on laser and highly complicated ballistic reticles on a traditional lever gun? Some folks do it, though. Yup, have seen some pretty unusual rigs in my time.

Not having the faintest clue what the Anshutz 64MPR 22 is capable of I think I'm looking at 100 yards from a bench rest. Me myself I'm an old man with eyes that now require +2 reading glasses. I can focus and read at a distance but that small stuff up close requires glasses or a magnifying glass. The rifle already weighs almost 9lbs so I doubt much that this will ever be used in the field or even off hand. Tom Selleck is my hero, but heck I can't even grow a mustache. You laugh but I smile because I never had that much of a problem shaving. Anyway, I doubt much that I will be trying to hit buckets at 1200 yrds and frankly I'm guessing but I think maybe that was just a bit of Hollywood magic.

Anyhoo, any help would be appreciated,

Dan
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:25 am

Dan, my opinion on the 22 LR is that it's at it's best as a 50 yard cartridge and though it can maintain the same MOA out at 100 yards, it takes a day of excellent shooting conditions to do so. If you really want to shoot at 100 yards on a regular basis under all conditions, there are better cartridges, usually meaning 22 centerfires like the 223, 222, 22 Hornet and so on. Any of those can produce excellent accuracy at 100 yards, even on a breezy day. I strongly recommend the 223 for those of us who don't reload and rely on factory ammo. 223 bulk factory ammo is the cheapest centerfire rifle ammo you can buy and it will do a fine job for practice shooting at 100yards, even going under an inch in some of our 223s. And, of course, the 223 is still a great cartridge at double and even triple that distance.

On any scope you choose for 100 yard work with a rimfire cartridge, I recommend an adjustable objective for the sake of dialing out parallax. If you're like most rimfire shooters, you'll be bouncing back and forth from up close to way out there at 100 yards and even beyond. An AO on a scope lets you shoot at any distance without the hassle of the parallax headache.

I do fine with a 3-9x on most of my rimfires, because I have the experience to squeeze out most of the accuracy a 22 LR has to offer at 9x. For 100 yard work, though, I like a touch more magnification, something like a 4-12x, 4-14x and such with an AO. Some folks like even more, but, keep in mind, that as you go up in magnification, a scope becomes increasingly hard to use, not to mention putting more demands on optical quality. Even cheap scopes can look pretty good at low power, but when you crank up that magnification to 9x and beyond, you'll quickly see the difference between a cheap scope and an expensive scope.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:19 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Dan, my opinion on the 22 LR is that it's at it's best as a 50 yard cartridge and though it can maintain the same MOA out at 100 yards, it takes a day of excellent shooting conditions to do so. If you really want to shoot at 100 yards on a regular basis under all conditions, there are better cartridges, usually meaning 22 centerfires like the 223, 222, 22 Hornet and so on. Any of those can produce excellent accuracy at 100 yards, even on a breezy day. I strongly recommend the 223 for those of us who don't reload and rely on factory ammo. 223 bulk factory ammo is the cheapest centerfire rifle ammo you can buy and it will do a fine job for practice shooting at 100yards, even going under an inch in some of our 223s. And, of course, the 223 is still a great cartridge at double and even triple that distance.

On any scope you choose for 100 yard work with a rimfire cartridge, I recommend an adjustable objective for the sake of dialing out parallax. If you're like most rimfire shooters, you'll be bouncing back and forth from up close to way out there at 100 yards and even beyond. An AO on a scope lets you shoot at any distance without the hassle of the parallax headache.

I do fine with a 3-9x on most of my rimfires, because I have the experience to squeeze out most of the accuracy a 22 LR has to offer at 9x. For 100 yard work, though, I like a touch more magnification, something like a 4-12x, 4-14x and such with an AO. Some folks like even more, but, keep in mind, that as you go up in magnification, a scope becomes increasingly hard to use, not to mention putting more demands on optical quality. Even cheap scopes can look pretty good at low power, but when you crank up that magnification to 9x and beyond, you'll quickly see the difference between a cheap scope and an expensive scope.

Ah, see I wasn't even sure what was a good expectation with regards to range. I'm in no way locked into a range and for now I'm still trying to keep it 22 LR.

I'm still such a newb with regards to scopes however. But right now the whole rifle choice has kind of been upended so I think I'll put this off for now. The Anschutz appears to have a known extraction issue that would be rather bothersome for me.

Thanks again and I hate to be such a pain but I have to thank you again for being so patient and so helpful.

Cheers,

Dan
0 x