Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

22 Rifles

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

22 Rifles

Post by dddrees » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:28 pm

Small but modest collection but since I started late in life the plan is to keep it so. A few have gone and others have replaced them as I've tried to discover what all is out there and what works best for me.

The latest addition is the SA-22 and I can't believe I wasn't even aware this was out there. Somehow I missed it but as I said I started late and I have one now. It replaces my Ruger 10-22 Takedown because overall I just find the SA-22 a more attractive package and better fit for me. No need for synthetics and metal and wood are more attractive to me and bring me more enjoyment. Besides the history and what I've read overall this gun is just more appealing to me.

The Winchester 9422 vintage 74 replaces a Henry Golden Boy because once I discovered the 9422 I found the old school metal and wood more compelling. I still have the Henry but I've already told someone I would be willing to sell it.

The Remington 121 Fieldmaster just happens to be something that didn't replace anything but when determining which pump 22 I also wanted to go old school metal and wood but something a bit more budget friendly than a Winchester pump 22. My understanding is that Winchester may have the better action and more desirability but the Remington 121 was an extremely good design as well.

Keeping it modest I feel that currently I have one hole but have yet to figure out for certain what I will get. At this point I think that will either be a CZ or an Anschutz but I have yet to do the research to figure out exactly which one that will be.

5 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: 22 Rifles

Post by wingnut » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:20 pm

Drooling here!
2 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:22 pm

Some beautiful and quality examples of 22 rifle artistry, there. Congrats. By the way, all the vintage Remington 22s like that 121 are starting to catch up to the old Winchesters as far as demand, so that 121 was a good choice.

As for a bolt 22, that's a must. So many good choices, there, but half the fun is the hunt for just the right one. Here's one I just picked up after a very long hunt for just the right one. It's the original Browning T bolt T2 (Deluxe) 22 LR, made in Belgium in 1966, complete with the factory supplied T bolt peep sight. Not a lot of these around, since they weren't made in high numbers. Makes a great addition to our new edition of the Browning T-bolt. Can't wait to get out and shoot it.

When it comes to vintage Remington bolt 22s, just wait till bandit shows you some of his. You're in for a treat.
4 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:41 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Some beautiful and quality examples of 22 rifle artistry, there. Congrats. By the way, all the vintage Remington 22s like that 121 are starting to catch up to the old Winchesters as far as demand, so that 121 was a good choice.

As for a bolt 22, that's a must. So many good choices, there, but half the fun is the hunt for just the right one. Here's one I just picked up after a very long hunt for just the right one. It's the original Browning T bolt T2 (Deluxe) 22 LR, made in Belgium in 1966, complete with the factory supplied T bolt peep sight. Not a lot of these around, since they weren't made in high numbers. Makes a great addition to our new edition of the Browning T-bolt. Can't wait to get out and shoot it.

When it comes to vintage Remington bolt 22s, just wait till bandit shows you some of his. You're in for a treat.
Thank you and based on what I read I'm not really surprised that the Remiongton might be gaining in value. I think the biggest knock although it might be just a smidge less good than the Winchesters action was that it didn't have the Winchester name.

Very nice Browning. Yeah as far as bolt rifles I'm completely clueless but I would like a really nice example to go with my other rifles. So far the CZs and Anschutzs are the only ones I am aware of only because those are the ones that I keep seeing when people recomend something. However if I come across something like your Browning from the past that speaks strongly to me then of course I would be willing to go there as well. The time to get one isn't now but since my latest incoming is due soon the time to start looking can be begin.

So I"ll wait in anticipation until bandit stops by.
1 x

ChefDuane
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ChefDuane » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:12 pm

Henry Classic Lever, Mossberg 715T, and a vintage Nylon 66. Have to say despite it's age the best shooter is the Remi.
0 x
Henry Classic H001
Henry AR-7 Survival

USCG '77-'83
NRA/TxLTC

There is no greater protection against evil on the rampage than a loaded firearm in the hands of a free man.

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:30 pm

wingnut wrote:Drooling here!
Thank you sir.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:12 pm

Don't forget the single shot 22 rifles. Lots of choices, anything from very affordable to very expensive.
1 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:13 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Don't forget the single shot 22 rifles. Lots of choices, anything from very affordable to very expensive.
I've also thought about that as well from time to time, so thanks for the reminder.
0 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:29 pm

Nice. As I've said before, I really like that 121. I can only hope mine looks nearly that good when I get around to rebuilding it. Have you had a chance to shoot the Browning yet? Tomorrow is supposed to be a few degrees above freezing here...I'm hoping to get out and put the first few rounds through the SA-22 I picked up last week.
1 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:48 pm

roddy wrote:Nice. As I've said before, I really like that 121. I can only hope mine looks nearly that good when I get around to rebuilding it. Have you had a chance to shoot the Browning yet? Tomorrow is supposed to be a few degrees above freezing here...I'm hoping to get out and put the first few rounds through the SA-22 I picked up last week.

Here's hoping you do, and I hope to see it when you get it done. I'm all thumbs so it surely wouldn't be somnething that I would execute very well.

Congrats on your SA-22 and no I have not either, however as the weather gets better I plan to do so soon. My first range trip of the year will probably be pistols but I"ll have to take a few rifles the next visit. My range has a separate outdoor pistol range with electronic targets and I spend more time on that side. Generally that side is mine when I go and I kind of enjoy having the range to myself and not having to wait on others or having to walk to check or change out my target.
1 x