Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

22 Rifles

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: 22 Rifles

Post by dddrees » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:31 am

North Country Gal wrote:Don't forget the single shot 22 rifles. Lots of choices, anything from very affordable to very expensive.

I guess the 22 bolt gun will just have to wait. I think I have a new addiction to Winchester Lever Guns. I did look at the Pedersoli Sharps in rimfire as well but somehow it just wasn't the same attraction it would have been in 45-70. Besides I do really like the Winchester Mirokus and Browning SA-22 Miroku that I have so far. Although the Anschutz kept calling me somehow the Low Wall spoke to me more. By the way I went 22 Mag.

Thanks again,

Dan
Last edited by dddrees on Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:05 am

Only two .22s for me at the time - a JM Marlin Golden 39 and my dads old Mossberg M152.
The Mossberg 152 is one of the few semi autos that were available at the time my dad bought it and until rifles such as the Ruger 10-22 & Marlin Mod 60 came out it was a popular model.
While 'antiquated' by today's standards it is incredibly accurate and I would literally put it up against the so called 'best' match grade .22s.
1 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:25 am

Mistered wrote:Only two .22s for me at the time - a JM Marlin Golden 39 and my dads old Mossberg M152.
The Mossberg 152 is one of the few semi autos that were available at the time my dad bought it and until rifles such as the Ruger 10-22 & Marlin Mod 60 came out it was a popular model.
While 'antiquated' by today's standards it is incredibly accurate and I would literally put it up against the so called 'best' match grade .22s.

Although my gun knowledge is extremely limited I'm knowledgeable enough to recognize the Marlin 39 for sure and believe I've also come across the Mossberg M152 once or twice as well.

If nothing else what I have discovered from owning that lever BB Gun when I was a teenager is the deep ties one can often have to those items we had when growing up. I don't have it now but I have thought about it I don't know how many times. No substitute will ever be the same or can ever replace them. Besides that it's extremely difficult if not impossible to find the build quality that existed back then.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:42 am

Besides that it's extremely difficult if not impossible to find the build quality that existed back then.
While largely in part true there were a lot of poorly built guns 'back then' - as well as a lot of other items.
Low tech machinery & technology and a lot of manufacturers had to rely on highly skilled workers to make up the difference.
With regard to guns while some were very high quality there were many that were very poor quality and some were not even safe to shoot when new.
An example would be the early break open action revolvers. A lot of manufacturers were 'getting in the game' about the time this style of revolver became popular and with many of them were making guns of very inferior quality. Even Smith & Wesson has some 'hiccoughs' during this time with some of their break open models.
1 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:47 am

Mistered wrote:
Besides that it's extremely difficult if not impossible to find the build quality that existed back then.
While largely in part true there were a lot of poorly built guns 'back then' - as well as a lot of other items.
Low tech machinery & technology and a lot of manufacturers had to rely on highly skilled workers to make up the difference.
With regard to guns while some were very high quality there were many that were very poor quality and some were not even safe to shoot when new.
An example would be the early break open action revolvers. A lot of manufacturers were 'getting in the game' about the time this style of revolver became popular and with many of them were making guns of very inferior quality. Even Smith & Wesson has some 'hiccoughs' during this time with some of their break open models.

Thanks for putting into perspective.

Cheers,

Dan
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:52 am

I'll back up what Mistered is saying as to there being a lot of poorly made guns, back in the "good old days". Labor costs and materials cost went up, fast, in the 50s and gun manufacturers like Winchester were having a hard time making ends meet with their old style, labor intensive manufacturing methods and, in Winchester's case, the old tooling was getting worn and badly in need of upgrading. Any student of gun history knows what happened in 1964 when Winchester finally had to pull the plug on so many of those old guns just to stay in business.

It wasn't just Winchester, though. A lot of manufacturer's were struggling with the problem. I distinctly remember the move away from tool steel on parts to metal stampings and cast aluminum (not forged) and, of course, cheap plastic and I do mean, cheap. By the mid 60s, there was also an issue with the availability of walnut for making stocks, so we saw a lot of guns going to birch and other more affordable and more available woods.

As always, you need to do your homework when buying any vintage gun as to just what you are getting. Being an old model doesn't guarantee it was a quality gun.
2 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:58 am

North Country Gal wrote:I'll back up what Mistered is saying as to there being a lot of poorly made guns, back in the "good old days". Labor costs and materials cost went up, fast, in the 50s and gun manufacturers like Winchester were having a hard time making ends meet with their old style, labor intensive manufacturing methods and, in Winchester's case, the old tooling was getting worn and badly in need of upgrading. Any student of gun history knows what happened in 1964 when Winchester finally had to pull the plug on so many of those old guns just to stay in business.

It wasn't just Winchester, though. A lot of manufacturer's were struggling with the problem. I distinctly remember the move away from tool steel on parts to metal stampings and cast aluminum (not forged) and, of course, cheap plastic and I do mean, cheap. By the mid 60s, there was also an issue with the availability of walnut for making stocks, so we saw a lot of guns going to birch and other more affordable and more available woods.

As always, you need to do your homework when buying any vintage gun as to just what you are getting. Being an old model doesn't guarantee it was a quality gun.

Actually after reading mistreds statement the first thing that came to mind was Winchester and the after 64 cost cutting methods. Then I also thought of the numerous stories of manufactures and various things I had heard with regards to how they started cutting costs as well.

Yeah, Oops........
0 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Wed May 08, 2019 7:50 pm

Those are some beautiful rifles, saw a 6422 on auction yesterday asking $1500. Would like one but not for a while. I have mostly rimfire rifles and thought I would share 2 although they are not as nice as the others shown. Top one is a Steyer Zephyr ll and the bottom one is a Magnum Research version of the 1022 with their own aluminum machined reciever and carbon fibre wrapped barrel.Sorry for the picture quality I am just not a good photographer.
IMG_0208.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:05 am

Here is my Remington bolt action 22 rifles. The oldest one is a Model 34 made in 1933 and the newest is a 582 made in 1978. I keep saying I need to sell off some of these but it is like parting with a friend. :shock: I need to think about it a little more. :)
5 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Thu May 09, 2019 8:52 am

bandit1250 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:05 am
Here is my Remington bolt action 22 rifles. The oldest one is a Model 34 made in 1933 and the newest is a 582 made in 1978. I keep saying I need to sell off some of these but it is like parting with a friend. :shock: I need to think about it a little more. :)

WOW!!!

So I have to ask what appealed to you or made you choose to collect so many Remington Bolt Action 22 Rifles?
1 x