Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Marlin 1895 STP video, and pics of my gun

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Marlin 1895 STP video, and pics of my gun

Post by John E Davies » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:06 am

I found this recent video of Hickock45’s son blasting away with their family’s very cool 1895 STP in .45/70. This is a JM (pre Remington) limited edition run of 500 with a very rare 16” Trapper length barrel. It was the last special made by the original factory before the takeover and it became highly collectable. I stumbled upon and bought one new for $720 in 2010, put on XS ghost ring sights, scout rail, and a Wild West trigger. I also added a Leupold Scout scope on Warn Quick Detach rings. I played around with it for four years, kept it with me for bears when camping, and eventually posted about it at Marlin Owners.

A guy PMed me to ask if I would sell it, and I told him I would take $3000 for it, to shut him up. He said OK and explained that he was moving to Canada and had the cash, and the gun was gone a week later. A rifle with a 16 inch barrel is legal there, but only if it came from the factory that way....

These guns became very valuable with Gunbroker New In Box sales prices as high as $4000...! I really miss mine but it was impossible to pass up that sort of insane profit on a gun that was just a toy. This just does not happen very often. Here is the video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LHZqBR2oidY

Hickcock45 also made videos with this gun years ago. Has Henry ever offered their .45/70 rifles in this length?

NOTE! The pics are squashed, Save Image to see them correctly.

John Davies
Spokane WA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John E Davies on Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:44 am, edited 12 times in total.
5 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Marlin 1895 STP video, and pics of my gun

Post by Mags » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:19 am

That was a nice rifle. Good looking metal and wood!
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:43 am

John E Davies wrote:...it was impossible to pass up that sort of insane profit on a gun that was just a toy. This just does not happen very often.
John Davies
Spokane WA
No doubt about that!

Got rid of the "squishing," and the rifle looks great...beautiful wood furniture, too.
What a "toy" that was. ;)
0 x

~Пока~

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:32 am

Yeah as cool as it might have been to own something like that I think you made the right choice.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:58 am

Thanks for the comments. Early last year the New Marlin started making a production version of this, the 1895 Trapper and it is similar to the Henry All Weather - black painted stock, dull metal, and big loop, and it comes with a Skinner sight. But it is about $950 street price and some of the finish that is not hidden by bead blasting is unappealling... the bolt is ugly and crude and reminds me very much of the one in a Ruger 10/22. And why did they not make the loading gate out of stainless? I think all of the current Marlins are no bargain and still have QC problems.

I know there is no politics allowed here so I won’t do any bashing, but I can comment that anyone worried about trusting any new products produced by the Remington group after its bankruptcy a year ago should be looking hard at a Henry instead.

John Davies
Spokane WA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:17 am

John E Davies wrote:Thanks for the comments. Early last year the New Marlin started making a production version of this, the 1895 Trapper and it is similar to the Henry All Weather - black painted stock, dull metal, and big loop, and it comes with a Skinner sight. But it is about $950 street price and some of the finish that is not hidden by bead blasting is unappealling... the bolt is ugly and crude and reminds me very much of the one in a Ruger 10/22. And why did they not make the loading gate out of stainless? I think all of the current Marlins are no bargain and still have QC problems.

I know there is no politics allowed here so I won’t do any bashing, but I can comment that anyone worried about trusting any new products produced by the Remington group after its bankruptcy a year ago should be looking hard at a Henry instead.

John Davies
Spokane WA

I think the unpainted areas would be a QC issue without doubt, but choices of material are more bean counter and buisness decisions. However when making choices with regard to where I'm spending my money the new Marlins are simply an unattractive choice in my opinion.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:59 am

About five years, back, I came across a similar gun in a Winchester/Miroku 1886 in 45-70. It had a 16.25" barrel. It was one of 500, a special edition. Despite the short barrel, it was still a heavy gun, as all 1886 Winchesters are. Balance and handling were a bit awkward, as a result. Not something I could carry for long. Still, I was very much into lever guns at the time, so I bought it. I remember cruising all the lever gun `forums to get info on this gun. Oddly enough, most of the comments were negative. Why would anyone put such a short barrel on a 45-70, blah, blah, blah or it's ugly and so on. In other words, it seemed the lever gun traditionalists hated it. Go figure.

It was truly a beast to shoot, despite my best efforts to endure the shellacking my shoulder took. Not fun at all with typical 45-70 factory deer/bear loads. Being an 1886 repro, no provision for adding a peep sight or a scope, either. Best I could do was a Skinner barrel mount peep. Finally got tired of getting beat up, so when an opportunity came to sell it at a break even price, I let it go. Beautiful gun, but just not a fun gun to shoot and definitely way more gun than I would ever need for defense against black bears in our area.
0 x