Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A general discussion on the future of lever action rifles

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: A general discussion on the future of lever action rifles

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:19 am

Any of you who have found a bona-fide gunsmith who knows how to work on those "antiques" should consider yourself lucky, indeed. Old school gunsmiths who made a living working on those now vintage revolvers and lever guns have been dying off for sometime, now. Before investing in expensive vintage guns that required a lot of hand-fitting to make, keep this in mind. You can't let just anyone claiming to be a gunsmith work on these guns.
4 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:29 am

Dang, lost my last post, so, I'll go again.
That long winded reply to lever guns from the 24hcf thread regarding an up-tick in lever sales is from your truly.
I've had a lever rifle for as long as I've been shooting. So, I defend 'em.
2 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:48 pm

Just getting into the game myself so my level of actual knowledge of the current gun market is little to none. However I would think North Country Gal is correct when she commented that those like I grew up on those Western TV and movies are getting older and unfortunately that interest maybe dwindling as we get older. We grew up at the time we were simply surrounded by lever guns. Also the only mattel guns were the one the military had just recently adopted. It wasn't even proven at the time. In fact it had numerous issues initially. I really find it sad as to the current state were fugly plastic seems to be king but at least I can be happy I'm part of the crowd that knows better. Because not only are those old school metal and wood guns still extremely functional they are also so very pleasing to the eye. Can anyone possibly show me any of those ugly plastic tactical wonder guns that look anywhere as nice as any of these?

At least for me one of the biggest appeal of a lever gun was how good looking they really are. Because after all how good the tool looks may not be as important as how it functions but it certainly doesn't hurt. For I grew up when plastic was considered cheap and ugly and I have yet to change my mind.
6 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:12 pm

I'm with you dddrees!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:23 pm

dddrees wrote:... I can be happy I'm part of the crowd that knows better. Because not only are those old school metal and wood guns still extremely functional they are also so very pleasing to the eye.
I couldn't agree more, ddd. You certainly have a great looking collection there.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:15 pm

dddrees wrote:
... I can be happy I'm part of the crowd that knows better. Because not only are those old school metal and wood guns still extremely functional they are also so very pleasing to the eye.
However, the subject concerns the NEWer eyes of a beholder.
Ana4-2012-7.jpg
precious0ou.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:19 am

markiver54 wrote:I'm with you dddrees!
:D
CT_Shooter wrote:
dddrees wrote:... I can be happy I'm part of the crowd that knows better. Because not only are those old school metal and wood guns still extremely functional they are also so very pleasing to the eye.
I couldn't agree more, ddd. You certainly have a great looking collection there.
Thank you sir.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:27 am

wingnut wrote:
dddrees wrote:
... I can be happy I'm part of the crowd that knows better. Because not only are those old school metal and wood guns still extremely functional they are also so very pleasing to the eye.
However, the subject concerns the NEWer eyes of a beholder.

Ana4-2012-7.jpg

precious0ou.jpg

And there I would agree. Your vote matters and so does all those others buying that type of gun. But even though I have 20 years of military (Ret) experience with that particular style of gun I currently have no desire to actually get one. It just doesn't speak to me nearly as much as the guns that I currently have and the ones I plan on getting. Hopefully the next one in que is the Original Henry by Henry Repeating Arms Company.
4 x

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Blackdog » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:26 am

JEBar wrote:
Flinch wrote:when I came in with my 94 he looked up and said - Oh, I don't work on antiques."

Guess I'll have to find an real "gunsmith" and not this self-taught wanna-be.

M
finding a real gunsmith would serve you well
There in lies the problem. Way way too may wanabe gunsmiths hammering on guns with minimal knowledge.
Worked for Cabelas for a while - in the Gun Library. We had a gunsmith who would fix the broken ones, but did such a bad job (Hit them with a hammer!) that we ran him off. We went through 4 "smiths" in less than a year and never did find one who was good enough to keep.

Hope you find one,

Michael
1 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:44 am

Blackdog wrote:
JEBar wrote:
Flinch wrote:when I came in with my 94 he looked up and said - Oh, I don't work on antiques."

Guess I'll have to find an real "gunsmith" and not this self-taught wanna-be.

M
finding a real gunsmith would serve you well
There in lies the problem. Way way too may wanabe gunsmiths hammering on guns with minimal knowledge.
Worked for Cabelas for a while - in the Gun Library. We had a gunsmith who would fix the broken ones, but did such a bad job (Hit them with a hammer!) that we ran him off. We went through 4 "smiths" in less than a year and never did find one who was good enough to keep.

Hope you find one,

Michael
I would guess that none of these people were school trained? Of course that's a guess but if your not willing to pay much than you kind of get what your willing to pay for.
0 x