Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A general discussion on the future of lever action rifles

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

A general discussion on the future of lever action rifles

Post by wingnut » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:35 pm

From another board. "Mule Deer" is gun writer John Barness.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthrea ... 13634495/1
3 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: A general discussion on the future of lever action rifles

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:48 pm

Good read. Mostly preaching to the choir, though. The key comments for me were about who is shooting lever guns, now, and that's us, folks, the baby boomers. We grew up with lever guns and TV westerns. Yes, lever guns will always be around, but as we baby boomers disappear from the shooting market, we'll be taking most of the demand and interest in lever guns with us. Even in our very rural area, where deer hunting is a religion, it's rare for us to see young shooters or even middle-aged shooters using lever guns when we're at the range. In fact, as far as rifles we see being used at our range, it's all bolt guns and AR platform guns. Just a sign of the times.
7 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:53 pm

It is mostly bolt rifles at our range other than a couple of people shooting levers handed down by their families.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:28 pm

Ditto on a "good read." I've only read 1/3 of the discussion thread, but will finish it.
Always like to read about lever-action rifles.
And Mule Deer likes to write.

Even though my SGC or .357 AW Big Boy are always outnumbered at the shooting ranges, most often someone comments or is interested is this style rifle. And the ROs regularly make comments, and enjoy looking at them, too. Glad that Henrys are such good lookers. Makes those chats the more enjoyable.

Thanks for the post.
PT7
4 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:33 pm

North Country Gal wrote:The key comments for me were about who is shooting lever guns, now, and that's us, folks, the baby boomers. We grew up with lever guns and TV westerns.
Bingo .... a quick look at our forum's age demographics (link below) confirms it

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... t=age+poll
3 x

JayZuv
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JayZuv » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:14 pm

Thought I'd add a different perspective to this.

The generation I am a part of spends a lot of time in various forms of media. One of these is video gaming, and recently old western themed games have become popular. In these, you can carry a number of lever guns throughout. I would like to think that perhaps this might become a factor in getting younger people more interested in traditional style firearms, and away from some of the tactical stuff. Unfortunately, I think the bigger problem is that people my age are becoming less and less interested in guns, and maybe even frightened by them due to all of the bad press all over the internet. It would be nice have a way to get the younger generations involved, and educated on both safety, and the sheer enjoyment one can have with their favorite rifle.
7 x
H006 .41
H006 .44
Win. 94 30-30
Weatherby Mark V .300 Wby
Ruger .44 Carbine

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:29 pm

Not sure how one could improve on a lever action...seems like they hit paydirt back in 1860/1870's.
3 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:44 pm

JayZuv wrote:Thought I'd add a different perspective to this.

The generation I am a part of spends a lot of time in various forms of media. One of these is video gaming, and recently old western themed games have become popular. In these, you can carry a number of lever guns throughout. I would like to think that perhaps this might become a factor in getting younger people more interested in traditional style firearms, and away from some of the tactical stuff. Unfortunately, I think the bigger problem is that people my age are becoming less and less interested in guns, and maybe even frightened by them due to all of the bad press all over the internet. It would be nice have a way to get the younger generations involved, and educated on both safety, and the sheer enjoyment one can have with their favorite rifle.
AMEN!
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:28 am

North Country Gal wrote:Good read. Mostly preaching to the choir, though. The key comments for me were about who is shooting lever guns, now, and that's us, folks, the baby boomers. We grew up with lever guns and TV westerns. Yes, lever guns will always be around, but as we baby boomers disappear from the shooting market, we'll be taking most of the demand and interest in lever guns with us. Even in our very rural area, where deer hunting is a religion, it's rare for us to see young shooters or even middle-aged shooters using lever guns when we're at the range. In fact, as far as rifles we see being used at our range, it's all bolt guns and AR platform guns. Just a sign of the times.
I think you have summarized the situation perfectly, NCG. It is the same here. I don't know the exact numbers, but I would guess that lever-guns only account for around 1% of sales - the rest is made up of bolt-actions, semi-autos and AR lookalikes.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:27 am

Just finished reading the 24hourcampfire thread, which OP Wingnut pointed us to. Quite a number of interesting comments made....here are some of them.
PT7
If you are a horseman you will find a levergun fits a scabbard better, is more narrow and less affects your ability to keep your leg on your mount's side. It also pulls out of the scabbard easier . My 2 cents.
I know this for sure, if I go to the range and seated beside me are frustrated bolt action rifle shooters , I pull out a levergun and they smile a little . Oh....what do we have here! Leverguns are fun, including the big bores.
Heck, I don't know for sure, but, it seems there is a up tick in lever rifle purchases, especially in handgun calibers. Maybe they're just more fun to shoot[me], maybe it's another current fad with some shooters, or, shooters just plain like 'em. As for me, I no longer hunt "big game", deer elk. So, I bought a couple handgun lever rifles just to shoot and have fun with. Enjoying rifles and shooting. Nothing wrong with that. My bolt rifles would shoot further, if needed, probably more accurate; but, more fun? No way.
Yeah, pistol caliber leverguns are about the epitome of fun.
Finally, a helpful "signature" comment, if anyone sees one when in the fields...
"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills
2 x

~Пока~