Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Face lift for the lowly CZ 513 Basic

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Face lift for the lowly CZ 513 Basic

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:33 pm

My little 513 Basic (Farmer in some countries) is the bottom of the CZ totem pole in price and finish. It uses the 452 action to a certain extent except the bottom has different machining to accept a completely different trigger group. It has a non adjustable trigger that over on "the other forum" they said it was impossible to lighten the trigger. I took mine from nearly seven lbs. down to 1 3/4 lb. with no creep. I figured a trigger is made up of parts that can more than likely be modified to a certain extent and still be safe. The bolt and magazine are the same as a 452 and they have very accurate barrels from the examples I have fired. Mine will shoot with any CZ rifle I own except maybe my 452 FS 22's. It is the most accurate with the cold bore shots and that makes for a really fine hunting rifle. The stock always looked like a board that went through a planer with a dull cutter being that it had a waffled look to it and felt kind of crude handling it. So early this morning I decided to fix it with out doing a total stripping of the wood. The wood was in very good shape as far as dents and gouges because even though it is a cheap rifle I still am careful with how I treat it. I took the stock off (1 action screw instead of 2) and sanded it smooth with 600 grit wet or dry paper. Then I rubbed it down with an Armor-all wipe and put on a coat of wipe on polyurethane by Min-Wax. It dries super fast using the Armor-all and I was able to do several coats in a few hours and then late this afternoon I used a 3000 3 M sanding disk and rubbed it down with it and I have a low sheen stock smooth as a baby's bottom now instead a rough as a cob one like before. Maybe spent not much over three hours total work and back together ready to shoot. I am really satisfied by the low sheen and ultra smooth finish. :D I don't believe I have another CZ that is as smooth a finish as this one. :shock:
2 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Re: Face lift for the lowly CZ 513 Basic

Post by roddy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:37 pm

Smooth as silk, and probably feels like it too. What are the details on the scope?
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:50 am

Love what you have done with that CZ, bandit.

One thing I love about bolt guns is that it's almost always possible to do a nice trigger job on them. With your expertise, no problem at all. Yeah, I take anything reported about CZs on that "other" forum with a grain of salt. :)

That looks like a beech stock on that one. Reminds me of the beech stocks on some of my 452s and 455s. I like beech as a stock wood for target shooting and for hunting. Very tough wood that can survive a whack that would typically crack or break a walnut stock.

That one looks like a good candidate for a CZ single shot adapter, by the way. Would be in character for its utility or farmer gun status.
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:26 pm

roddy wrote:Smooth as silk, and probably feels like it too. What are the details on the scope?
The scope is an older 4X Redfield. Was gave to me by my SIL and is in brand new condition. Never been a Redfield guy but this is a perfect squirrel rifle scope and works perfect adjustments and very clear glass.
0 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:18 pm

bandit1250 wrote:
roddy wrote:Smooth as silk, and probably feels like it too. What are the details on the scope?
The scope is an older 4X Redfield. Was gave to me by my SIL and is in brand new condition. Never been a Redfield guy but this is a perfect squirrel rifle scope and works perfect adjustments and very clear glass.

It suits the rifle and its intended purpose perfectly. Nice pairing. I recently picked up a Ruger 77/22, and I have been keeping my eyes open for something like that, or a vintage K4.
0 x