Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New from Ruger: Hawkeye Long-Range Target

PT7
Drover
United States of America

New from Ruger: Hawkeye Long-Range Target

Post by PT7 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:48 pm

For anyone interested in long-distance shooting.

Last evening I chatted with my son-in-law. He is a former Marine sniper, and regularly competes in long-distance shooting competitions. His current competition rifle is the Ruger Precision Rifle (RPR) in 6.5 Creedmore. He told me that he just bought one of the new Ruger bolt-action rifles: a Hawkeye Long-Range Target in 6.5 PRC caliber. Here are photos and the Spec Sheet: https://ruger.com/products/HawkeyeLRT/s ... 47189.html

I didn't know that the PRC caliber is fairly new to the market, too. I searched and found this review article about Hornady's entrant into this part of the shooting sports: https://www.shootingillustrated.com/art ... cartridge/ What I found interesting is that the following article paragraph really pinpoints my son's-in-law focus to constantly "reach out farther," and improve his accuracy skills. He has the skill noted here:

For those with the skill, drive and determination to reach out as far as they can, the Hornady 6.5 PRC is a better option. Still, it will never be as popular as the 6.5 Creedmoor looks to become. This is partly because “the Creed” has a running start, partly because it has a cooler name and partly because few shooters have the skill to realize its limitations. None of this changes the fact that there’s at least a veiled (if not obvious) connection between the “American Sniper” movie, the current long-range, precision-shooting frenzy and the 6.5 PRC.

My son-in-law is a pretty quiet and calm fellow. But I could tell on the phone how enthused he was about the challenge and opportunity this new rifle & new caliber have in store for him.

We've planned to do some shooting together at his range this summer. Both of us have new rifles, my being the Henry .357 Magnum All-Weather. He helped me sight-in and test the SeeAll MK-1 sight I got for the Henry. When he told me that he'll probably store his RPR for a while as he starts shooting the Hawkeye, he also had an interesting suggestion. He said we'll mount my SeeAll sight on his RPR for me to shoot. That will be a snap since the Hawkeye has the stock picatinny rail ready-to-go. Although it's impossible to reach the distance he can do with his scope, at least I'll be shooting the 6.5 Creedmore bolt-action. It sounds to be a fun range visit!

PT7
3 x

~Пока~

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: New from Ruger: Hawkeye Long-Range Target

Post by Henry88 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:59 pm

PT7 wrote:Last evening I chatted with my son-in-law...........We've planned to do some shooting together at his range this summer. Both of us have new rifles, my being the Henry .357 Magnum All-Weather
PT7, I'm sure you and your Henry won't have any problem keeping up with your SIL :? :D

BTW, kind of a crazy grip on that thing. Almost reminds me of a Bisley pistol grip.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:54 pm

If the rifle is the "hardware" and the ammo can be seen as the "software," then he's got one heck of an operating system there! That is one serious piece of hardware and the ammo looks very cutting edge.

I can see that Sig scope of his on it already!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:34 pm

Henry88 wrote:PT7, I'm sure you and your Henry won't have any problem keeping up with your SIL
Yup, the Henry MAW will hold its own. The yardage is not that great of a matter.
Thanks for the encouraging words, Henry!
ESquared wrote:If the rifle is the "hardware" and the ammo can be seen as the "software," then he's got one heck of an operating system there! That is one serious piece of hardware and the ammo looks very cutting edge.

I can see that Sig scope of his on it already!
ESquared, when you shot the RPR last summer, was the Sig scope on it? I don't recall. Anyway, he said he'll be moving the scope to the new Hawkeye. That's because the new rifle, in his words, "has my name on it." ;)

Appreciate your well-stated imagery. I'm certain my son-in-law will run the "system" well. :)
0 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:53 pm

Yes, I got to experience that Sig scope. It's a wonder of the modern world! More $$ invested there than in the two rifles combined, I'd guess!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357