Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ruger PC Carbine

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Ruger PC Carbine

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:16 pm

I know this gun has come up before and one of the members here has one. I just recently bought one myself. I buy a few guns online at Gunbroker. It has its advantages and it has its disadvantages. We don't have many gun stores in my area and the ones that are here don't carry that big of selection. I bought one of the new carbines in the camo stock. So I read quite often here about our Henrys and how people are not real excited about sending them in for warranty or repair. I get that, first of all when a guy takes a gun to UPS or FEDEX some of the shipping people that work in those places treat you like you are a terrorist or something because you are shipping a firearm somewhere. Or you are answering questions of whats in the box and is it okay to ship it. Then sending one in a guy is wondering about turn around time. So back to the carbine. Yes I have another gun Im sending back to this time Ruger. I discovered when I went to clean it that about 3 inches in from the end of the barrel there was what looks like a wide band in the barrel and then about another inch and one half there was another band in the barrel. In between bands was normal rifling. When I looked at it thru a bore scope there at those two spots it was like what you would see in the bottom of a new cast iron skillet and the rifling though it was faint went right through that cast like surface. Im not sure how this happened and how the heck did it ever get by an inspection. But back to Ruger it goes. Had this been for sale in a gun store I would have caught it. This time buying online was another gun back to a manufacturer. I sent it off today I will report back on its progress. I hope this is the last one for a while. Im tired of this game.
5 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Ruger PC Carbine

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:34 pm

hate you are having to send it back but looking forward to following your experience with obtaining warranty service from another company .... the last I heard, Ruger still has a good reputation for support after the sale
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:14 pm

I think there are a lot us that want to know more about this rifle. It is an interesting idea. And matches up so well with so many other personal firearms.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:23 pm

Personally I have NEVER and will NOT buy a gun that has to be sent via mail/UPS whatever etc. For me purchasing a gun is a personal undertaking I accomplish with the seller or LGS, hands on, and with a thorough inspection.
All I can say is when I removed the barrel from the Ruger PCC I bought in October - while at the LGS - and sighted down it - it was one of the CLEANEST barrels I have ever seen on a new gun and the rifling was sharp and well defined with no other issues.
It shoots Incredibly well and accurately beyond my expectations.
I just removed the barrel again and sighted down it and it is as clean and shiny as new - and this is after about a 1000 rounds through it.
Good luck with the gun you are sending back and I hope the problems are resolved for you.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:24 am

Hate to hear you had to send your gun in for warranty service, but really if you want it fixed it's what has to be done. I've only had to do it once and since it was the end of the shooting season I didn't get to shoot it like I would have liked. But it was the only option and besides they did pay for it, so it's an inconvenience which next year I'll pretty much get over. In my case it was for aesthetic reasons but I decided it bothered me enough I wanted it addressed. I saw the issue when I picked it up at my FFL but decided to address it via the warranty than refuse it.

I too purchase a good portion of my guns over the internet and do so because if I didn't I would have a difficult if not impossible time getting the firearms I want locally. My location would limit my choices if I only stuck to those products sold locally. But even if I lived in a larger market the internet would still offer much more than would ever be possible provided by any specific location. The internet not only provides me with this purchase power but all the research that I conduct about these products as well. So if your fortunate enough to either live where you have greater options than I or just find your needs are being reasonably addressed where you live than I'm glad to hear it. I like options and see no reason to limit myself.

Personally I purchase almost everything I buy but groceries on the internet so I see no reason not to purchase guns this way as well. This is no different than ordering something custom. You just have to wait until it's finished to see the final product. If there are issues you address them if and when they occur. Thing is you just have to do your due diligence and do your best to make sure you are dealing with people you can reliably trust. But for me this is no different than buying something in person as I do the same this way if there are unexpected issues after the sale I have a reasonable expectation that those issues will be addressed accordingly.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:43 pm

Update here. My PC Carbine made it to New Hampshire and has been logged into there repair system. They have told me I should hear something back in about a week. As soon as I have another update I will post again.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:42 pm

I had to send my S&W M69 back TWICE to get it in correct condition. Not matter the company...they use the customer as final QC !
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:00 pm

I had to send my S&W M69 back TWICE
What was the problem with it?
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:56 pm

Update. My Ruger PC Carbine is on the way back with a new barrel. But I have mixed feelings on the process. First and foremost Im grateful for the ending outcome. But Im not so sure about the rocky road to the happy ending. I sent this gun in thinking it would be a no brainer. I got a call from Ruger customer service last Tuesday at about 1pm mountain time. Lady in customer service was really nice and explained to me that they wanted 350.00 to fix my gun. I told her its a brand new gun. She mentioned she could see it was just purchased. I said Maam I havent even shot the gun yet. I found this when I was cleaning it in preparation for shooting it. She told me ok I need to go to the manager and see what they want to do and they would call me back. I never heard back from them and it was late in the afternoon of the following day I decided to give them a call. I got another nice lady who helped me by sending the first lady who helped me an email that I had called back and was inquiring about my gun. The following morning I got a call from a tech who said he believed the damage in the barrel was caused by an obstruction. I said hmmm I havent even fired it. He says yes that was mention to me and asked me if the gun was new. I said yes it was I had just bought it 2 weeks ago. He also explained to me that its possible to have an obstruction in the barrel and the barrel will not blow up. Since Im no gunsmith and havent played with obstructed barrels this is something Im not familiar with. Ive read that its extremely likely with an obstruction in a barrel its going to come undone. This tech claimed hes seen PC carbine barrels stacked full of bullets. He then offered to replace the barrel this time for free but if the gun showed up again there would be a charge. I told him thanks and he mentioned it would be about a week. Well this am I got an email stating its on its way home. So they were quick to repair it. I will post again when I have it here. Im not in anyway wanting to bad mouth Ruger. As I mentioned Im glad they fixed it. Im just a little puzzled at the process this time.
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:59 am

That does seem a little strange, and the tech's comment about seeing PC Carbine barrels (plural) stacked full of bullets is a little alarming.
The non-restricted version for Canada (10 rounds, 18.5" barrel) has recently arrived, and I almost brought one home this past Tuesday. They have a nice solid feel, and the lock-up on the barrel feels much more secure than that on the 10/22 take-down. I would like to see a wood stock available. The only gripe I might have isn't really with that firearm in particular, or even Ruger, really. There seems to be a trend developing with adjustable length of pull "spacers" that can be conveniently added for those of us with a 6'+ wingspan. Now, I'm usually a form-over-function kind of guy, but a stack of hockey pucks on the butt end of any rifle just ain't right.

I'm glad to see Ruger is attempting to remedy this for you, and look forward to reading about your inspection when you have it in hand.

Oh, if you're a big guy and need more "spacers", the aftermarket already has you covered...
lego.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x