Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Small but nice

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Small but nice

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:20 am

I was in my ammo cabinet yesterday evening and on the bottom shelf clear in the back were two gun socks with rifles in them. These are to short for in the safe and there is no empty space for them any way. They are CZ 452 Scouts that I set up for the kids to shoot but they are not really interested in them. So I got them out and gave them a good wipe down and a light oiled patch through the barrel as they have been in the cabinet at least a year in the gun socks. My ammo cabinet is wide enough to lay some rifles in there across the shelves. There was even a 39A in there in a sock on one of the shelves. :shock: Made this ammo cabinet from an older cabinet from a business that kept flammable items in it. It actually would have made another extra safe for fire arms as heavy built as it is. I may have a chance to get another one if I have room for it. Anyway the two Scouts have been fired since my wife and I bought them new and they are every bit as good shooting as the other 452's we have. I have the triggers tuned to a light pull weight since there was no interest from the kids to shoot them. 12 oz. for one and 1 lb. for the one I used for squirrel hunting. I added sling studs to one of them for carrying. Carrying one of these in the woods is like not carrying any thing with the light weight and short length. One is scoped with a M8 Leupold 4X and the one in the front on the picture has a Leupold 4X Compact on it. I thought about selling these but if I do and then they want to shoot there won't be one here and 452 Scouts are not seen often for sale. If the wind ever stops blowing we need to shoot these again.
6 x

Hunter2678
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Small but nice

Post by Hunter2678 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:12 am

I have a few cz's myself. Scouts are great for kids..In fact I've been looking for one for my 2 kids (1.5 & 3.5) so I can teach them, at least my 3.5 daughter in the next year or two how to shoot. If you ever feel like selling one let me know.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:09 am

If you dont hide them from yourself again Right Bandit?
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:14 am

I have a scout and it just doesn’t shoot straight. Bummer because I love it.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:47 am

Sir Henry wrote:I have a scout and it just doesn’t shoot straight. Bummer because I love it.
Hate hearing that Sir Henry and that may be the first one I have heard of that doesn't shoot well. I had the one pictured in the front at the range one day a year or so ago and there was some nice 22's there that day guys were shooting. I had the 6X Burris HBR scope on it from when I was testing different ammo and it shot better than a Browning A-blot 22 and a reproduction 52 Winchester Sporter that those two guys had there and a Savage bull barrel 22 that was as good as the CZ Scout but not really any better. I was shooting Tac 22 ammo. Now that was on that day and another day things could have turned around. On that particular day there was a couple of unhappy shooters there.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:08 pm

The crown on mine does not look right.
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:33 am

We have a couple of CZ Scouts at the club for the 'junior' members .... but it's surprising how many 'not so junior' members use them too. They are very accurate little rifles, with all the quality and endurance that CZ is known for. Definitely worth a place in anybody's cabinet! ;)
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:23 am

Sir Henry wrote:The crown on mine does not look right.
Be willing to bet that the problem. Have had guns with bad crowns right from the factory. Is your Scout a 455? If so, just get a different barrel for it.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:13 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Be willing to bet that the problem. Have had guns with bad crowns right from the factory. Is your Scout a 455? If so, just get a different barrel for it.
New barrel or just recrown it?

Yes on 455.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:04 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
North Country Gal wrote:
New barrel or just recrown it?

Yes on 455.
Sir Henry, Do the crown first that is the cheapest thing to try first. All you need is a round headed brass screw and a variable speed drill and some lapping compound or some fine valve grinding compound. I have done many older 22's that were not real accurate and saw a drastic improvement in their accuracy. Probably due to the crown getting bumped in to things over the years. The 455 had more crown complaints than a 452 ever had. The worst with complaints seem to have been the Varmint model never heard much about it on Scouts. If there is no improvement try some rubber strips under the barrel about 1 1/2 - 2" from the front of the stock. I cut them to fit across from side to side to apply slight up pressure to the barrel. About every CZ 452 except my FS models have up pressure under the barrel. Rubber from a bicycle rim liner will work or strips of aluminum from a soda can. Easy to get the rim liner for about a $1.00. Try it several different locations in the barrel channel to you see if there is a sweet spot where it shoots better. Use a torque driver and vary the action screw torque to different inch lbs. until you see if it reacts to less torque or more. The CZ's seem to like from 15-20 inch pounds. A few of mine are best at 16 and a couple like 18. Never had one that was better after about 20 inch lbs. Two screw actions seem to like the front and rear a few lbs. different. I believe my 452 Scouts have a single screw and the 455 may have two. Try these things and just think about how much more shooting you can do playing with tuning the Scout. ;) :D Have fun and believe me this stuff can pay big dividends in better accuracy.
1 x