Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Savage 22 magnum

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

New Savage 22 magnum

Post by TNman » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:45 pm

A shooting buddy of mine showed me his new Savage 22 magnum and I was impressed enough to need one. It is a bolt action Savage B22 FV-SR 22 magnum. It has an accutrigger, 10 shot rotary magazine, 16.5” heavy threaded barrel with thread protector, and synthetic stock. The trigger is very crisp and fairly light, the bolt function is smooth and the accuracy is great. The cons are the mags are a bit difficult to load but with practice it gets much easier. And on my rifle it was very difficult to press the magazine into the locked-in-place position. After evaluating that issue a judicious bit of sanding on the bottom front of the mag well eliminated that problem. I put a Redfield 2x7x33 on it that I have had for a long time and it seems to suit it really well. I shot it first at 25 yards for sight in and then moved to 53 and 70 yards to evaluate different 22 magnum ammo. Accuracy is very good with a variety of ammo...it seemed to like the Speer Gold Dot and CCI Choot’em the best..giving about 1.3” groups at 70 yards. CCI A22 shot about the same but impacted about 1/2” higher at 70 being a 35g bullet. A22 is one of my favorite magnum ammos as it is a good compromise between bullet weight, accuracy, and velocity. IME that is in line with most 22 WMRs. All in all it is a light, handy, reliable, and accurate 22 magnum if one has a need or ’want’ for one. Larger steel is at 70 yards and smaller is at 53 yards and are 7 shot groups...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: New Savage 22 magnum

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:18 pm

Love seeing all this interest in the 22 magnum. Not that it was ever in danger of disappearing, but I think that the interest in rimfire shooting in general is on the increase and the 22 mag along with it. Excellent range report.
2 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:25 pm

Nice rifle, and good shooting. Thanks. .22wmr has been my go-to varmint round since '74. Been a lot of technological progress with that caliber in the last 15 years or so, by Hornady and others. I use the Hornady CD in my lcr also.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:25 am

There are lots of .22WMR ammo choices now.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:19 pm

0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234