Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Waiting to try my new trigger

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Waiting to try my new trigger

Post by ditto1958 » Mon May 09, 2016 8:38 pm

Last week I got myself a new BX trigger for my Ruger 10/22. I installed it, but haven't had an opportunity to try it yet. It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

Stock 10/22 triggers tend to leave a bit to be desired, though the one I replaced has seen LOTS of use, to the point where it's really not all that bad. The BX trigger from Ruger is reasonably priced. In think I found mine on sale for $53 and paid about $9 for shipping. We shall see. There are many excellent after-market triggers available for the 10/22, but the problem is that most of them cost more than a new 10/22 rifle. For the kind of shooting I do, I'm not going to spend $200 or more on a trigger for a $200 gun.

Hopefully I can get to the range Wednesday.
1 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Re: Waiting to try my new trigger

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon May 09, 2016 9:06 pm

Looking forward to seeing what you think of it. There seem to be a lot of different opinions on the BX. There are also some who I refer to as trigger snobs who swear that if it isn't their preferred trigger it is crap.
Hope it works well for you. And the price certainly was right.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue May 10, 2016 9:39 am

I would call the BX trigger a so-so trigger. Brimstone does a better job modifying the stock trigger for about the same price. Of all the custom 10/22 triggers I have the BX is at the bottom of the list. But its also at the bottom of the price list.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Wed May 11, 2016 5:30 pm

Well, I got to the range today to try my new trigger. Unfortunately, I forgot to check on my ammo situation, and only had 40 rounds with me. Still, that was plenty enough to confirm that the BX trigger is a substantial improvement over the stock 10/22 trigger. For what I paid for the BX I'm happy.
3 x

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Wed May 11, 2016 6:06 pm

Glad to hear that, ditto.

A "good" trigger is like a "good" deal. If you think it is "good", then it is, regardless of what anyone else thinks about it.
2 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Wed May 11, 2016 7:19 pm

Glad you like the new trigger.
I didn't know that my 10/22 trigger was bad till I started reading numerous comments about how bad other people thought it was. In reality it probably wasn't as bad as most of the ranters seemed to think. But I did start paying more attention to the trigger and found that it was stiff and there was a definite catch before the break. And when it broke I could see the front sight move just slightly.
So I became obsessed with making this bargain priced fun to shoot plinker into a small hole punching target gun. I tried the home remedy polish and tweak trigger jobs. The trigger did improve but still had that catch before the break and slight bobble of the gun. So I opted for the Brimstone Gunsmithing Tier 2 job and had them add a bolt release, sexy silver bolt handle, and Rimfire Tech pull magazine release. Adding about $120 to the investment of a basic $219 plinker.
One of the things I love about the 10/22 is the unending list of aftermarket goodies. You can tweak the basic carbine into whatever you want it to be.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Wed May 11, 2016 7:34 pm

Oh no... :) I'm not gonna start down that slippery slope!
0 x

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Thu May 12, 2016 9:24 am

ditto1958 wrote:Oh no... :) I'm not gonna start down that slippery slope!
What, you don't want to take a $200 rifle and hang $800 worth of stuff on it? :lol:
1 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu May 12, 2016 9:50 am

I have over a thousand bucks into several of my $300 Henry. I've done all my trigger work myself but adding scopes, custom large loops and buttstock wraps adds up.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Thu May 12, 2016 2:25 pm

White Squirrel wrote:
ditto1958 wrote:Oh no... :) I'm not gonna start down that slippery slope!
What, you don't want to take a $200 rifle and hang $800 worth of stuff on it? :lol:
Well... it is a terribly slippery slope. I think more like $2,000 is fairly common for guys who can't leave their 10/22's alone.

If I ever do make a custom 10/22, it will likely be a "stealth" build. I would find a walnut sporter stock with good wood, refinish it, and then upgrade everything with parts that are not obviously non-stock.
0 x