Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Winchester 1873

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Winchester 1873

Post by dddrees » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:24 pm

Lyman wrote:Very nice! I need to figure out a way to increase my Gun Budget. I have my eyes on one of those model 94s.

Thank you sir. You can always get one without the fancy wood and and some of the other features for not much more than a Henry.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:30 am

I take it that is one of the Miroku Made Winchesters? I have one as well in a Uberti. They are fun to shoot. The wood on that is really nice. I know when you get a chance to shoot it you will be grinnin ear to ear. They are great. Congrats and enjoy I do mine.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:30 pm

BigAl52 wrote:I take it that is one of the Miroku Made Winchesters? I have one as well in a Uberti. They are fun to shoot. The wood on that is really nice. I know when you get a chance to shoot it you will be grinnin ear to ear. They are great. Congrats and enjoy I do mine.
Thank you sir and yes it's a Miroku.
0 x

shootinthecinders
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by shootinthecinders » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:44 pm

Beautiful rifle/wood. I have the Sporter model with pistol grip and crescent butt plate but unfortunately, no checkering and the wood on mine isn’t as nice as yours. It is an excellent shooter and very well made though. How did you find the model with checkering on the grip and fore end? I didn’t see that on any of the Miroku Winchester rifles I looked at.
EDIT: I found your model the Deluxe Sporting with shotgun butt plate.
Last edited by shootinthecinders on Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:29 pm

Very nice! I need to figure out a way to increase my Gun Budget. I have my eyes on one of those model 94s.
Keep looking - Mod 94s are not at all scarce but finding a nice one sometime takes a little time - depending on the particular variation you want.
If you are looking for a basic carbine you should be able to fine one fairly easily but you may have to be a little discriminating when it comes to the finish.
I see a fair amount of 70s era carbines that unfortunately were not well taken care of and the finish is less than desirable but are probably good shooters.
There are also a fair amount of the 'Commemoratives' out there and depending on the model can be had for pretty good prices.
My 're-entry' into a model 94 many years ago was in the form of a 1968 'Buffalo Bill' Commemorative with a 20" octagon barrel and is a FANTASTIC shooter. I have since acquired a 26" 1966 100 year Anniversary Commemorative which after some 'finish fitting' and tuning (which was most likely never done at the factory) is now shooting beyond belief - nearly one hole at 50 yards and just the other day I had only six rounds loaded with some bullets I had never used before and while out messing with my new 4Runner stopped to see what they would do and found an unbroken clay I set on a stump at about 125 yards - first shot dusted the clay and a small rock at about 100 yards disappeared on shot # 5.
I think it's fair to say I am a fan of the Mod 94!
The 1966 Commemorative on the left and an 'original', 1899 Mod 94 Klondike Sporting Rifle on the right.
100_1247.jpg
Buffalo Bill on the right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mistered on Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:44 pm

Beautiful 94s. Love 'em.
1 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:01 pm

shootinthecinders wrote:Beautiful rifle/wood. I have the Sporter model with pistol grip and crescent butt plate but unfortunately, no checkering and the wood on mine isn’t as nice as yours. It is an excellent shooter and very well made though. How did you find the model with checkering on the grip and fore end? I didn’t see that on any of the Miroku Winchester rifles I looked at.
EDIT: I found your model the Deluxe Sporting with shotgun butt plate.
Thank you sir. Yeah, I may have just lucked out based on the time I purchased mine considering that checkering came with a 2018 Shot Show Deluxe version. Frankly since I hadn’t really even looked at these in previous years I can’t say for certain. I do know that the Winchester 1866 was the rifle I choose to secure first but this is the one I purchased first because it appeared that it was becoming hardest to find. Now that I have it I can’t imagine the Winchester 1866 looking much better but I’ll know for certain in a few weeks,
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:03 pm

Mistered wrote:
Very nice! I need to figure out a way to increase my Gun Budget. I have my eyes on one of those model 94s.
Keep looking - Mod 94s are not at all scarce but finding a nice one sometime takes a little time - depending on the particular variation you want.
If you are looking for a basic carbine you should be able to fine one fairly easily but you may have to be a little discriminating when it comes to the finish.
I see a fair amount of 70s era carbines that unfortunately were not well taken care of and the finish is less than desirable but are probably good shooters.
There are also a fair amount of the 'Commemoratives' out there and depending on the model can be had for pretty good prices.
My 're-entry' into a model 94 many years ago was in the form of a 1968 'Buffalo Bill' Commemorative with a 20" octagon barrel and is a FANTASTIC shooter. I have since acquired a 26" 1966 100 year Anniversary Commemorative which after some 'finish fitting' and tuning (which was most likely never done at the factory) is now shooting beyond belief - nearly one hole at 50 yards and just the other day I had only six rounds loaded with some bullets I had never used before and while out messing with my new 4Runner stopped to see what they would do and found an unbroken clay I set on a stump at about 125 yards - first shot dusted the clay and a small rock at about 100 yards disappeared on shot # 5.
I think it's fair to say I am a fan of the Mod 94!
The 1966 Commemorative on the left and an 'original', 1899 Mod 94 Klondike Sporting Rifle on the right.
100_1247.jpg
Buffalo Bill on the right.
Those are some nice looking lever guns.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:08 pm

Wow some nice wood on that 1873! Very nice.

Here's my Uberti 1873 with 24 inch barrel in .45 Colt. Found this couple years ago at a LGS that normally sells black AR rifles.
Guy sold it for needed cash and it stood out like a sore thumb on the wall surrounded by above mentioned plastic fantastic...but I gave it
it's forever home!
Great rifles to shoot on a lazy Sunday afternoon!
1 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:25 pm

fortyshooter wrote:Wow some nice wood on that 1873! Very nice.

Here's my Uberti 1873 with 24 inch barrel in .45 Colt. Found this couple years ago at a LGS that normally sells black AR rifles.
Guy sold it for needed cash and it stood out like a sore thumb on the wall surrounded by above mentioned plastic fantastic...but I gave it
it's forever home!
Great rifles to shoot on a lazy Sunday afternoon!
Thank you sir.

That’s a nice one as well. Actually I had been considering another lever rifle the last couple days. In fact I was looking for something I 45 Colt and seriously considered getting a Marlin time.The main attraction being how easy they are to disassemble. In the long run after weighing various things such as overall length, fit and finish, smoothness of action, and nicer looking wood I decided to get another 1873 but this time in 45 Colt.
0 x