Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Bolt action suggestions

JayZuv
Cowhand
United States of America

Bolt action suggestions

Post by JayZuv » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:46 am

Hello all, starting to shop around for a longer range rifle. Looking for something that will shoot 3-400 yards comfortably, and was curious what caliber you think is best. I was thinking .270 or 7mm-08. Also, any recommendations for rifle make/model? I see a lot of people on here rave about cz, but have never heard of them before I got on here. Looking for something with a wood stock, and preferably under 1000 dollars. Thanks!
0 x
H006 .41
H006 .44
Win. 94 30-30
Weatherby Mark V .300 Wby
Ruger .44 Carbine

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Bolt action suggestions

Post by JEBar » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:55 am

what type of long range shooting are you considering .. :?: .. examples - big game hunting / precision competition .. :?: .. in my world, 200 yards is long range .... my requirements at such a distance are pretty simple .... I have no interest in the level of shooting that requires consideration of the forces necessary for precision shooting .... at 200 yards if I can consistently hit a skeet, I'm happy .... I do like to shoot for a group but not with the intent of putting all shots in a single hole .... my longest range rifle is a customized 1992 Remington Model 700 BDL chambered in 300 WBY Mag .... I have no clue how far it is capable of shooting but do know that at every distance it is capable of smaller groups than my ability to .... rifles built to competition level, long range shooting ain't cheap .... in fact, when I've looked at them I tended to suffer from sticker shock .... out to 250 +/- yards our Browning BLR 308 with its locking rotary bolt is extremely accurate .... I tend to believe a Henry Long Ranger would be as well .... the fact is, our BLR is very accurate beyond that but my emphasis is that of a big game hunting rifle ....in the interest of making clean kills, I try to limit hunting with it where shots beyond 200 yards are likely
0 x

JayZuv
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JayZuv » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:41 pm

JEBar wrote:what type of long range shooting are you considering .. :?: .. examples - big game hunting / precision competition .. :?: .. in my world, 200 yards is long range .... my requirements at such a distance are pretty simple .... I have no interest in the level of shooting that requires consideration of the forces necessary for precision shooting .... at 200 yards if I can consistently hit a skeet, I'm happy .... I do like to shoot for a group but not with the intent of putting all shots in a single hole .... my longest range rifle is a customized 1992 Remington Model 700 BDL chambered in 300 WBY Mag .... I have no clue how far it is capable of shooting but do know that at every distance it is capable of smaller groups than my ability to .... rifles built to competition level, long range shooting ain't cheap .... in fact, when I've looked at them I tended to suffer from sticker shock .... out to 250 +/- yards our Browning BLR 308 with its locking rotary bolt is extremely accurate .... I tend to believe a Henry Long Ranger would be as well .... the fact is, our BLR is very accurate beyond that but my emphasis is that of a big game hunting rifle ....in the interest of making clean kills, I try to limit hunting with it where shots beyond 200 yards are likely
Thank you, I don’t do any target shooting, it’d be just for hunting. Most of my shots are within 200 yards but I’m just looking for something capable of further just in case.
0 x
H006 .41
H006 .44
Win. 94 30-30
Ruger .44 Carbine

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:32 pm

I've hunted with bolt actions for a long time, and now hunt a little with single shots, too. I hate to admit (on this forum) that I've never hunted with a lever action :oops: (yet). Anyway, back to the point at hand, the most accurate rifle I own is a Tikka T3 stainless .270, with a synthetic stock, which weighs 7 lbs 3 oz fitted with a Leupold VX 2 3x9. It shoots RWS H-mantle (similar to a Nosler Partition) 3 shot groups at 100 yards into 1/2", and does it every year when I fire a group to verify sight in before deer season. I've compiled a 7 year composite target just to admire ;). Tikka also offers a couple of Walnut stocked versions, which I have no doubt will shoot, too. There are lots of really accurate rifles out there these days, this one is right in, or maybe even under, your price range.

The good old .270 is hard to beat as a flat shooting, modest recoil, high performance cartridge, too, especially with all the premium bullets available. And ammunition is available just about anywhere. Yes, I read Jack O'Connor a lot ;) .
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:43 pm

We've owned a couple of the current production Winchester Model 70s. They're made in the U.S. and quality, trigger and accuracy are very good. Can't get more traditional than a Model 70 in a 270.

The 7mm-08 is a great cartridge, but I'd recommend reloading for that one. Factory ammo can sometimes be a little hard to find in local gun shops. Anyone who sells ammo will have 270.
2 x

JayZuv
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JayZuv » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:47 pm

Thank you both, so sounds like .270 is the way to go. Now just which one is the question! I prefer American made so I’ll definirely be giving the new model 70’s a look, and the tikka sounds like a solid shooter so I think I’m gonna have a lot of fun checking out all of these rifles
0 x
H006 .41
H006 .44
Win. 94 30-30
Ruger .44 Carbine

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:21 am

NCG it's looking like some Model 70 production/assembly is going on in Portugal, but apparently those guns are said to be indistinguishable from the USA guns. I haven't found any complaints about them.

From their website,

The origin of each Model 70 is marked on the barrel. Generally today, key parts are likely sourced in the U.S and the rifle assembled in Portugal. Some hunters and shooters have reasons for purchasing only Made In USA firearms. We understand. But it would be incorrect to base your decision to not buy a Model 70 from our Portugal plant due to a fear of poor performance. Model 70s made and/or assembled in Portugal have stellar quality, accuracy and overall performance that matches or exceeds any production Model 70s ever in our history.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/support/f ... tured.html
0 x

Bms
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Bms » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:03 am

Savage has some very nice, affordable, American made rifles
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:10 am

Henry88 wrote:NCG it's looking like some Model 70 production/assembly is going on in Portugal, but apparently those guns are said to be indistinguishable from the USA guns. I haven't found any complaints about them.

From their website,

The origin of each Model 70 is marked on the barrel. Generally today, key parts are likely sourced in the U.S and the rifle assembled in Portugal. Some hunters and shooters have reasons for purchasing only Made In USA firearms. We understand. But it would be incorrect to base your decision to not buy a Model 70 from our Portugal plant due to a fear of poor performance. Model 70s made and/or assembled in Portugal have stellar quality, accuracy and overall performance that matches or exceeds any production Model 70s ever in our history.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/support/f ... tured.html
Thanks for the update. Personally, it would not be an issue for me - a large percentage of our collection are guns made in Europe or Japan - but it might be for others. As for the Model 70 or, in fact, any bolt gun, my fav in the looks department is the Model 70 Featherweight.
1 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:55 pm

I'm with you on that assessment :). I originally bought my Tikka to be a dedicated bad weather rifle, even put a 3P #4 reticle in the scope. Pretty it's not. But it's so darn accurate, has a really good trigger right out of the box, and light weight, so it's become my go to rifle when I really mean business. Beauty is as beauty does, I guess ;) .
0 x