Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

"10/22" Build

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: "10/22" Build

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:50 am

Very nice Soprter, there. Has always been my favorite 10/22 configuration.
1 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:39 am

Thanks. Mine too.
0 x

flat_topp
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by flat_topp » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:28 pm

roddy wrote:Picked up a Ruger DSP (Deluxe SPorter) walnut stock to add to the list...
I love the checkered walnut stock on the sporter 10/22s. I only have one 10/22 and it's a sporter version, chosen primarily for the great look of the stock. Did I mention that I really like the stock on the sporter version Ruger 10/22? Great choice, roddy!
1 x
H012M Big Boy Steel .357Mag/.38Spl
NRA, ISRA

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:10 am

As much as I love the 10/22, if I wanted to shoot CCI Quiet ammo in the back yard I would just find a long barrelled bolt action rifle or use a short bolt action with a suppressor. You will never get rid of the action noise of a semi...

I have a new stainless 16” Takedown Magpul Backpacker that I am slowly tweaking. I added a BX trigger, Volquartson bolt release, high quality Picatinny rail, Leupold 2-7 scope with Warne QR rings, and buffer. I haven’t tried the slow ammo yet, but if I can’t get it to function through polishing parts, I will just cycle them manually.

Go ahead and order these recoil buffers now, they are the best and have a forever warranty if you should happen to wear one out. They turn the clank clunk of the action into thud clunk. They are a little “fussy” to install but it is not hard.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Viton-Stainl ... 2749.l2649

If you don’t have one of the new Maglula loader unloaders yet, put it on your shopping list. ... http://www.maglula.com/product/ruger-10-22-lula-loader/

I haven’t decided yet if I want to start changing all the internals for my plinking gun, but if I did I would buy the Tandemkross bolt, and one of the sexy Kidd viton cushioned charging handles. Pretty stuff.

It’s a diesease.....

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:47 pm

Thanks John, and you're right on the action noise. I have a friend who is a machinist cut me off a few buffers out of some leftover Delrin he was working with. I've been using them up until now. The Volquartsen bolt came with a buffer made of some kind of soft (urethane?) material. Installing it was like trying to stuff a Gummy Worm through a drinking straw...
I like the Idea of the Kidd style buffers.

We do have a couple of other options for Quiet.22s and other low/quiet stuff like Colibris and CB Shorts (a couple of pumps and a break-barrel). The pumps have near-as-not a 2-foot barrel, and are a laugh inducing kind of quiet. I don't expect a semi-auto to be quite that quiet, but just being able to rapid-fire a round like that at some steels would be hoot: snap snap snap...wait for it ...ting ting ting, lol. My right thumb would probably appreciate that loader by the end of the day.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:28 pm

Great word picture! Love it. :P
roddy wrote:... but just being able to rapid-fire a round like that at some steels would be hoot: snap snap snap...wait for it ...ting ting ting, lol.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:15 pm

Posting the picture of my DSP over on Bandit's thread reminded me of this one. I'm starting another little 10/22 project today. My niece took her firearms course and Minor's Licence this past spring, and Aced it! Her birthday is next month, so I'd like to have something put together by then.

Last year, I picked up a bunch of new-take-off Ruger parts, and one of the bits I left behind was a 'Compact' beechwood stock. I called the seller yesterday, and he still had it. LOL, the conversation went like this... Me: "You still have that compact stock?" Him: "That little doorstop? I couldn't give that thing away if I tried!" Me: "Yes you could..." Him: "Ah, jeez. I walked right into that one, didn't I?... Come and get it."
2 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:25 am

I didn't even think about a 'before' pic 'til after I started stripping...Typical factory finish...'mystery' brown stain that covers up a lot and only hints at what lies underneath.
20190802_103015.jpg

Here it is after the first strip...
20190802_132400.jpg
20190802_132454.jpg

After second strip and a light 'wet' sand with a 3M maroon pad dipped in acetone...
20190802_172228.jpg

There are some really interesting grain patterns in this one...almost looks like a laminate in some places. I don't think this is beechwood...the grain is too twisted. Ruger only lists it as 'hardwood'. Birch maybe?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:11 am

Birch would be my guess, too. Ruger has used it got many years.

By the way, really enjoying these10/22 threads. May just have to pull out or SD next range trip.
1 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:30 pm

If it were up to me, I would rub a few coats of oil on it, and call it done. It's kind of light, but I like it. My niece's favorite color is blue, so I feel the need to experiment with some dye. Judging by the factory finish, this wood may be a challenge, and is probably going to get blotchy. Some woods just don't like stain, and I think this is one of them. :roll:
0 x