Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Another over due project

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Another over due project

Post by bandit1250 » Fri May 06, 2016 10:10 pm

I started on a project that I have put off for two years. I needed to recut some checkering on a 39A Marlin of my wife's that is not very well done. Bad diamonds at the edges of the borders half cut and not pointed up and poor cut borders. I may have to pick up a couple different tools for the border. My border tool is the wrong size and I am not sure I want to use it. The curves on the borders is very nerve racking and tedious to say the least. One slip and it will be refinish the stock time. My wife thinks I am nuts for doing this stuff. I regret not doing it in the winter but just could not get into getting started. I need to find a way to mount my vise on the back porch to hold my checkering cradle and work out side where the light is better and enjoy the air. I will have quite a few hours in it when done but I will be more satisfied with it. At least I hope so. Next is maybe build a new checkering cradle. Mine is getting pretty beat up after 35 years of use. Here is her 39 AWL project stock.
My wife snapped this one.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Another over due project

Post by Sir Henry » Sat May 07, 2016 12:58 am

Please give us details all along the way with lots of pictures. This is something I've never done but have thought that it would be fun.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sat May 07, 2016 5:15 am

You must have a steady hand and loads of patience. Looking forward to seeing the project progress.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sat May 07, 2016 6:25 am

RetiredSeabee wrote:You must have a steady hand and loads of patience. Looking forward to seeing the project progress.
I hope my hand is steady enough to not slip out and run the tool across the stock out side the border. That can be a pain to fix. Don't ask me how I know! This stock is from my wife's rifle and it is a limited run made in 1997 for Wal-mart stores believe it or not. 2000 made and they are engraved and has gold inlays of squirrels on the side. I believe the AWL was for American Wild Life. They were half octagon half round barrels and to most folks they are beautiful to look at. I am more traditional and like the more toned down rifles. I have seen some eyes get pretty big when I pull one of these out at the range. This is her rifle in the front and my 1897 Century Limited in the back. It is the same as hers except mine has the gold fox on one side and John Marlin in gold on the other side. Who ever done the checkering on her rifle at Marlin should have went to Henry Firearms school and learned how to do it right. Henry gets it right with their wood work and checkering if they would just use a more clear finish and get away from that dark finish that hides the grain.
4 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sat May 07, 2016 8:22 am

Really pretty wood on both of them. By the way your table looks a lot like my kitchen floor.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sat May 07, 2016 10:32 am

Sir Henry asked for up dates on this project and pictures. I have two hours into it now and it is improving and after a while you just have to walk away or it gets to you. Standing on concrete doesn't help either. If you look at the original picture in this thread you will see at the bottom of the pattern at the edge of the pistol grip is where the major problem is with almost no border and lines to form the diamonds are not run to the egde of the border and no the right depth to give nice pointed up diamonds. I need to find a veiner tool to really work the borders right. I maybe can get it with what I have but if I can't I will need the other tool. I am not deep enough but just showing how things are moving along. This camera sucks at close ups.
Look at this picture on the lower part of the pattern and the border line is almost not visible and the diamonds are flat on the tops and the lines end to soon.
After two hours and feeling cross eyed this is where I am at so far. I figure 4-5 hours per side, hopefully.
Lots of lines still need deepened to be finished. Wish me luck on not messing up.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat May 07, 2016 11:28 am

I can see where you really have to be in the mood to work on it. Its not something you start with thinking I want to get this project over with.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater