Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Straight grip Marlins

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Straight grip Marlins

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:18 pm

My wife and I have four Marlin 22 lever actions with the straight grip stock. Two are 39M's and one is a 39 TDS and the other is a 39 Century Limited. The 39M's are in very nice condition with one being made in 1980 and one in 1982. I prefer the '82 because it doesn't have that cheap looking gold trigger. I just don't like the gold triggers on guns. The '80 is my wife's and right now is just open sighted after I took the red dot off and put it on a Ruger MK III. The TDS is a short 16 1/4" barrel model that came with a carry case to separate it in half and had a compartment in the case to keep each half separated from getting against each other. I have the carry case and all the contents for it even the seldom seen action holder to keep the bolt from coming out while being in the case. Most Marlin guys have never seen the action holder because most got thrown away when they were new with most folks thinking it was in the rifle just for shipping. It has a Lyman peep on it now. The last one is a 39 Century Limited I bought several years ago for a $185 because of the wood having most of the finish missing. Had some surface rust that I cleaned up with some bronze wool and Rem oil. Refinished the wood and it looks decent now with hardly any money in it compared to today's prices.
The two 39M's with the wife's 1980 in the front and my '82 in the rear with a 4X Leupold.
This pair is the 39 TDS in the front and the 39 Century Limited in the rear with a 2.5 Leupold Compact scope. I have never seen another 2.5 Compact Leupold. I like the octagon barrel on the Century.
5 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Straight grip Marlins

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Beautiful 39s, there, bandit.

Most of our 39s got sold off because they couldn't compete with our CZs or our Contender carbines, but we did keep one. It's our 1946 vintage 39A. Kept it because of its features unique to its vintage. Old enough to be drilled and tapped for a tang peep and the front sight was dovetailed in instead of bolted on like more recent vintages. It allowed me to set it up with a Marble's tang and and a Lyman Globe sight. Great, great shooter. Has the best trigger I've ever experienced on any Marlin 39. No gold trigger, either. :) This one stays.
4 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:06 pm

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/791388122

Heres one for you to look at Bandit. This guy has quite a few really nice guns and his prices reflect how proud he is of them also. Ive looked at this one several times but always thought he wanted to much. Yours are nice. You have a nice collection of the 22's
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:50 pm

I really like that CL, the octagon barrel always does it for me the with added brass forend and butplate finishes it.
1 x
Pax at Justitia

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:06 am

Nice lookin Marlin .22's ya got there.
I see a box of what looks 444 ammo.
What rifle ya got for that?
I have a SS, and a P.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:55 am

[quote="Vaquero"]Nice lookin Marlin .22's ya got there.
I see a box of what looks 444 ammo.
What rifle ya got for that?
I have a SS, and a P.

I have the Marlin 444 22" barrel model. I had a P and sold it and should have kept it. I also had several other Marlin 444's with the 22" barrel over the years and just recently sold one to a friend that is going to Ohio to hunt. I only have one 444 now but that is enough and I kept the pretty one. I have a few other center fire Marlin's I use occasionally if I deer hunt. Here is a picture of them. Not the best light.
Bottom one is the 444 I still have. Next up is the one I sold to my friend. Next up is a 1960 336 SC 35 Rem. that still looks new. Top is a 336 Zane Grey
30-30. It was made to commemorate the 100th birthday of Zane Grey. This is a nice 30-30 that is a nice match to the 39 Century Limited. I like the octagon barrel.

3 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:18 pm

Thanks for the pic. and that's a nice group of Marlins you have/had.
I own more Marlins than any other rifle, with Henry and Winchester tied for second place at 3 apiece. :lol:
Like the 35's also have a couple of those.

Sorry for the thread drift.

RP
1 x

H001, H006, H012

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:00 pm

I truly like end caps on lever actions.
The ZG has a unique look with the octagon barrel and pistol grip stock.
I know Winchester has some but their pistol grip is very different.
2 x
Pax at Justitia

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:26 pm

I like the end cap models more also, and for the most part than seem to be a little more accurate and consistent than the others.
i think the straight stocks are better lookin than the pistol grip, just looks more western.
But more of my Marlins have the PG than a straight stock.

RP
1 x

H001, H006, H012

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:21 pm

[quote="Vaquero"]I like the end cap models more also, and for the most part than seem to be a little more accurate and consistent than the others.
i think the straight stocks are better lookin than the pistol grip, just looks more western.
But more of my Marlins have the PG than a straight stock.

It is nice to have a choice of straight grip models and pistol grip models. I am different as I don't like the straight grip as well as pistol grip. They look more like Western movie guns but they put my wrist in a position that feels uncomfortable compared to my pistol grip models. I hate a straight grip in the 45/70 and the 444 Marlin with the heavy recoil they feel like I don't have as good as grip as the pistol grip and want to slid back through my hand. My 45/70 with the hard cresent butt plate and the straight stock was not fun to shoot with the heavy hand loads I loaded in it. Every one has their favorites and mine is a pistol grip JM Marlin. I could part with my straight grip models and probably never miss them except for the 39 Cent.Limited. I do seem to have better accuracy with a capped fore arm models than a barrel band gun and I don't care for barrel band models. But then again there is folks who like the banded fore arm for the "Cowboy" look. ;)
2 x