Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Pair of Tikka's

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Pair of Tikka's

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:04 pm

Back in January I bought a new Tikka Forest 222 and some wanted to see pictures of it and I was having trouble with pictures. Just kind of forgot about pictures for a long while until recently when I got some help with them. The two Tikka's I still have one is an older 595 Continental Varmint in 223 Rem. 1-12 twist. It is a heavy rifle but has a nice wide walnut stock that rests well on sand bags. The last one I got is the T-3 Forest. The Forest has the walnut stock with the roll over cheek piece. Both models are detachable mag rifles. Very nice rifle chambered 222 Rem. 1-14 twist. I could do with out the cheek piece but that is how they built it. The Forest T-3 has a smaller ejection port and makes it harder to single load. The 595 has a good bit larger port and is not a pain to single feed like the T-3. I found by mistake if I push the T-3 Forest mag follower down in the rear and pop the front of the follower up out of the mag and then leave it rest on top of the mag with the two little tabs one on each side of the follower I have a perfect single shot feeding ramp. Then if going hunting push it back down in and I have my standard mag back for repeat shots if necessary. Can't do this with the 595 magazine. I will try to make a insert this winter for the 595 mag to make it a single shot that will feed like the T-3 does. The earlier 595 to my eyes is the better build quality of the pair. Far superior checkering than the T-3. Triggers are the same and easy to adjust. The feel of the 595 just feels right for me. All Tikka stocks do suffer from the same problem of Sako and Tikka rifles with their to long 14 1/4 LOP. I can handle the length because these are both warm weather rifles for me. If they were heavier cloths winter time hunting rifles I would cut them both back at least 3/4" or maybe the full 1".
The 595 in the rear has a 6-24 Tasco(Japan built) scope and the T-3 has one of the last Leupold VX-II 4-12 AO scopes on it. Here they both are with the T-3 Forest in front and the 595 Continental in the rear.
Here is the magazine with the follower in the position to form a single shot ramp.
Hope members don't get tired of me showing off brand rifles. I only have one Henry but it has been a good one for me.
2 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Re: Pair of Tikka's

Post by roddy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:34 pm

Nice rifles...love the "triple deuce". Since I picked mine up, I hardly shoot my .17 HMR anymore.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:49 am

I NEVER get tired of your posts on bolt guns or, for that matter, any topic, so post away! Yeah, for all my classic single shots and Contenders, I still love a good bolt gun and those two are beauties. Thanks for sharing.
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:42 am

Bandit has all the cool stuff. Triple deuce has always been one of my faves but I dont have one now. No vermits here to pick on and my 243 and 223 are just safe queens anyway.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55