Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

1956 Winchester 75 Sporter

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

1956 Winchester 75 Sporter

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:44 pm

I have another rifle to show that I did a freshen up on. Didn't have to have any bluing work done at the gun shop on this one. It was left in a closet with a rug on the floor that was damp and the only thing that was affected was the wood and the Metal butt plate. It had some mold /mildew on the wood and the butt plate was rusted bad. I stripped the stock and refinished it to as close as I could to what it looked like when I cleaned the mildew off. It gave me a starting point and where I needed to be on the finish look I needed to end up with. The mildew had stained the wood bad. This rifle is a very little used 1956 Win. 75 in the seldom seen Sporter version of the heavy 75 Target model. It came with the factory grooved receiver for scope mounting. Haven't yet located a replacement butt plate and that is why it is not a good fit because so much metal was lost due to getting the rust removed. Had to shorten the stock 3/16" to get rid of the black ring where it sat on the carpet and the moisture penetrated the wood really deep. I did a complete recheckering of all four panels and had to order the tool for the Winchester width border that didn't match my border cutters. Left the finish slightly grainy to match the original look of the rifles from this time period and the way this looked when I started. It turned out nice and my Son-in-law was very happy with it. Needs a better scope. He won't shoot it any way. This is one of my favorite Winchesters and I am not a Winchester guy but would take this one in a heart beat. NCG may have seen a few of these in her travels to gun shops.
Checkering turned out nice. Borders were rough and chipped out and were a challenge to get them right
These were a big step down in prices from the original 52 Winchester. Personally other than the 52 being worth more money I like this 75 better than the reproduction versions of the 52's I had. This 75 Sporter is quality enough to have had a machined trigger guard but the price point wouldn't allow that I guess.
3 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: 1956 Winchester 75 Sporter

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:43 pm

Have only seen on 75 Sporter in all my travels. Lots of 75 Targets, but only the one Sporter. It belonged to a co-worker and he inherited from his father. It was in immaculate condition and I was smitten. I found it to be a more graceful gun than the heavier 52B Sporter, which I always thought a bit clunky. Even if I found one, now, I doubt we'd spend the money. The 75 Sporters are bringing crazy prices. You did well on yours. Thanks for sharing.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:53 pm

Beautiful work on a beautiful gun, great job! Would REALLY like to hear how it shoots. Not much of a bolt-action guy, in either affinity or knowledge, but that is a fantastic looking rifle.
You've got mad skills with a checkering tool!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:24 pm

This belongs to my daughter and her husband but it stays in my daughters safe here. I can shoot it or hunt with it anytime I want to but I just use my own guns so if I mess one up it will be my own. I may take it to the range one day and run a variety of ammo through it. When we shot here at my home it didn't shoot as well as the 5-teen Remington's we were also shooting. But that was that day and the ammo of that day we tried. It by no means shot bad but it was up against some of my very accurate Remington's. If those old Remington's only had better triggers. They do have very good barrels for factory barrels.
1 x