Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Any Savage fans here

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Any Savage fans here

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:39 pm

Don't see much on here about Savage rifles. I have always like the Savages for accuracy even if the cosmetics are not as nice as the other makes. Their way of head spacing is very accurate and they have good factory barrels with button rifling. They make very good rifles to make a switch barrel rifle on the Savage platform. I have a pair of Model 112 stainless varmint barrel 220 Swifts in the heavy factory laminated stocks. These are both very good shooters with the light colored stock one being the least finicky about loads. The dark colored one is coming around to be the equal of the older one but it wants to be fed loads that it likes. Both have very good non-accu-triggers that I have tuned to a little over a pound. At the time of this picture I just installed a after market trigger given to me in the front rifle but haven't shot it yet but feels no better than the Savage trigger. Slight amount of creep. I put the over size bolt handle on both. It is a big heavy rifle that I like with the big bolt and is easier to work. Here is both rifles. No targets from the range except some pennies that I shot at a 100 yds. I save all the pennies I find in parking lots and other places and drop them in my truck ash tray to have for the range. I get quite a few in the tray at times. This was an exceptional good day for accurate shooting. This was with the Swift in the rear. I still prefer it. Load was a stout load of H414 with a 52 A-Max Hornady. Velocity is high at 3994 FPS. The rifle in the rear has a 5-20x50 (Japan) Tasco and the front one has a Straight 12 Leupold. These rifles are both solid bottom action single shots. Very rigid actions.
Here is the pennies I shot with the Swift. The first penny was the left one. Two bullets through the same hole.

1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Any Savage fans here

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:03 pm

Savage fan here. Had a 112 in a 223 once that was a tack driver. I now have a Bear Claw in 338 Win Mag. I love that rifle and it shoots great with the Barnes TTSX factory ammo. Matter of fact I dont think I could get it to shoot any better with handloads.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:48 am

I have 1 savage, a 93R17BRJ. It is a .17HMR bolt gun with a laminated stock and a spiral fluted heavy barrel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:13 am

Haven't owned much for Savage rifles, but have always had a lot of respect for their rep for accuracy for the dollar with their bolt guns.

That's some awesome shooting with those pennies! Love it.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:23 pm

as with some others, I don't have any experience with Savage rifles .... years ago did have some experience with Stevens shotguns .... as I remember the ones I handled were nothing fancy but were solid enough
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:36 pm

I have three Savage rifles, all rimfires. 93r17gb, Bmag stainless, Markll 22lr.
They are all consistent sub MOA shooters.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

If1Hitu
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by If1Hitu » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:35 pm

Those are very nice looking Savage rifles bandit1250 & roddy.
1 x
A individual can't be a Army
A individual can't be a Navy.
A individual can't be a Air Force
A individual can't be a Coast Guard
A individual can be a MARINE! Semper Fi.

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:35 pm

Have a Savage 99 lever action in .308..some nice old rifle
1 x