Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

CZ 452 Lux checkering

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

CZ 452 Lux checkering

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:32 pm

A while back I posted about doing the factory checkering over on my Lux and a very poorly factory checkered CZ FS. Don't have the before pictures unless they would be on another camera card in my room. I can show the after pictures of the checkering and the border modified from the flat top style to the better looking in my opinion round top. If any one has a CZ you can look at yours and mine and see the difference. Mine now has at least double the grip than the factory with the finish in the checkering. Plus I just like to play with my guns and change things to suit me. Now I am not a pro by any means with checkering and never claimed to be and these were poor examples of factory checkering to work with. So here they are. First is the walnut stocked 452 Lux.

This was the most awful CZ 452 FS checkering I ever laid eyes on. How it ever got past quality control amazes me. Terrible crooked lines not cut uniform in depth and borders that would make you sick to look at. So what do you do but try to make it better? Get the tools out and go to it I didn't think it could look any worse. My camera does not do close ups well at all.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: CZ 452 Lux checkering

Post by PT7 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:13 pm

Bandit,

I've watched some videos of wood handlers doing the checkering on ultra expensive s/g stocks. It sure does take much concentration and a steady hand. Whatever "poor condition" you brought these stocks out of, they really look great.

I always like to look at the different projects you've done with your wood furniture. Nice job.

PT7
1 x

~Пока~

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:51 am

Here is a not so good picture of the checkering before it is cut over and the borders being cut to round top from flat. The flat borders just look to artificial to my eyes. I like checkering that actually looks like hand done and not laser or machine cut. Also notice the lines are not very defined and not pointed up to be sharp and add grip.Image
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:47 am

Looks like expert work to me. You can redo the checkering on any of my CZs. Beautifully done.
1 x

If1Hitu
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by If1Hitu » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:31 pm

Nice work looks good.
0 x
A individual can't be a Army
A individual can't be a Navy.
A individual can't be a Air Force
A individual can't be a Coast Guard
A individual can be a MARINE! Semper Fi.