Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Marlin 39as golden

Swigs
Wrangler
United States of America

Marlin 39as golden

Post by Swigs » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:24 pm

Does anybody know if marlin 39as golden came with a rubber recoil pad. All the ones I ever seen had plastic.
0 x

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Marlin 39as golden

Post by Lyman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:32 pm

I don't know if they changed over the years but the older original ones that I have seen have a reddish brown rubber recoil pad.
0 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

Swigs
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Swigs » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:39 pm

Ok I just bought one and that is what it has. Thank you.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:54 pm

My wife has a 39AS made in 1990 with the brown rifle pad with a white line on it. I have a 2000 39AS with the brown rifle pad with a black base. It has the checkered wood on it and her '90 is smooth wood. They have the Marlin horse and rider on the back of the pad. Subtract the first two serial numbers from a 100 and that is the year of your rifle.
0 x

Swigs
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Swigs » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:43 pm

Thank you learn something new every time you buy a different gun
1 x

Swigs
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Swigs » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:05 am

So I finally get out to the range to shoot this fine looking gun and man was I dissapointed. Not only will it not feed but firing pin is not hitting primer. I start to read about the newer ones 1988 to 2008 and alot of people saying they had the same problem. Anyone here have any of these issues?
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:04 am

[quote="Swigs"]So I finally get out to the range to shoot this fine looking gun and man was I dissapointed. Not only will it not feed but firing pin is not hitting primer. I start to read about the newer ones 1988 to 2008 and alot of people saying they had the same problem. Anyone here have any of these issues?
Need a little more detail on what exactly it is doing when not feeding. Is it not sending one from the tube into the action? Or is it not lifting the cartridge up to go in the camber when closing the action? These Marlins are really not usually hard to solve the issues with the AS rifles. Just need more info so not taking shots in the dark.
Never had a feeding issue with any of our 39 AS models. Check to make sure the inner tube runs in and out freely and not gummed up. If it is gummed up inside it will need the locking pin at the end of the tube removed and disassemble and run a cleaning rod through it with some solvent to get it clean. Separate the receiver and check for any broken parts and dirt and dried out grease. You can cycle the action with the receiver separated in half and see how it operates.
The firing pin could be bent and not moving freely in the groove in the bolt. Check the end of the pin to see if it is broken and also check to make sure it protrudes enough to hit the rim. Give more info and we can try to sort out the issues you are having. I have fixed quite a few folks got rid of because of simple fixed problems and got good buys on them and got them working as well as the older ones. Another thing is if the firing pin runs free and has good protrusion pull the stock off and add a #10 machine washer to the hammer spring. I have seen a few take more than one washer. Possibly a previous owner installed a lighter hammer spring and left the rebound feature working. The hammer spring needs to have enough power to over come the force of the rebound kicking the hammer back. I will watch for your reply.
0 x

Swigs
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Swigs » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:28 am

The inner tube is hard to push in. As far as feeding it will not pick up the round. You have to hold it upside down and shake for cartridge to be loaded. Im working 16 hrs today. I will look at it on Sunday. Thank you
0 x