Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Marlin spares.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Marlin spares.

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:24 pm

Mags wrote:.
Sometimes one can find a spring close enough at a local hardware store. One of the really good hardware stores that carry bins and bins of nuts, bolts, springs of all sorts and sizes.
I'm no expert, but this advice sounds good to me, Les. A spring is a spring, with or without an official Marlin part number. Take it to a hardware store and try to match it. Let us know how you make out, either way.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:49 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
Sometimes one can find a spring close enough at a local hardware store. One of the really good hardware stores that carry bins and bins of nuts, bolts, springs of all sorts and sizes.
I'm no expert, but this advice sounds good to me, Les. A spring is a spring, with or without an official Marlin part number. Take it to a hardware store and try to match it. Let us know how you make out, either way.
Our hardware stores are obviously two different things entirely! :lol:

Over here, most of them are Walmart-sized stores, where you can buy pretty much anything from wire to lawnmowers to complete kitchens etc etc, but the days of "goody boxes" full of nuts, bolts and other wonders are long gone..... sadly. :(
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:12 pm

Les wrote: Our hardware stores are obviously two different things entirely! :lol:
That's unfortunate and almost hard to believe, but if you can't locate one locally, maybe one of us in the States owns a Marlin 39A and is familiar with the Cartridge Guide Spring that you need and can find something in a hardware store that is an exact (or very, very close) match, who is willing to buy it and send it to you as a simple off the shelf, generic spring.

Anyone?
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:13 pm

Sometimes one can find a spring close enough at a local hardware store.
Yep - do a little 'scrounging' and try to find a machine parts supply or somewhere that has a good small spring supply. Maybe a local industrial wholesale supplier - this is what I do often for odd, little items.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:29 pm

If you click on the link from my earlier post, you'll see what we're talking about. While there's no reference for what the dimensions are, it looks like a slightly bent piece of steel with a hole in it. That's a gross oversimplification, I'm aware, but it someone, somewhere, ought to be able to reproduce it.
Or (and I keep going back to this), buy one and get a machine shop to reproduce it.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:39 pm

We have the Walmart sized stores here to (Lowes, Home Depot...), mostly in the larger communities and cities. More rural places we still have 'real' hardware stores. What do you have in your rural communities?
Les wrote:
CT_Shooter wrote:
Our hardware stores are obviously two different things entirely! :lol:

Over here, most of them are Walmart-sized stores, where you can buy pretty much anything from wire to lawnmowers to complete kitchens etc etc, but the days of "goody boxes" full of nuts, bolts and other wonders are long gone..... sadly. :(
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:45 pm

If you click on the link from my earlier post, you'll see what we're talking about.
Oh man - I thought a COIL SPRING was being referenced - Heck this would be easy to make
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:55 am

that's what I thought too.
Mistered wrote:
If you click on the link from my earlier post, you'll see what we're talking about.
Oh man - I thought a COIL SPRING was being referenced - Heck this would be easy to make
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:33 am

Mags wrote:We have the Walmart sized stores here to (Lowes, Home Depot...), mostly in the larger communities and cities. More rural places we still have 'real' hardware stores. What do you have in your rural communities?
A lot of the smaller firms have been forced out of business by the large DIY chain stores. There are probably still a couple of small, family owned businesses around, but they don't generally advertise nationally, so it's difficult to know where they are.

I'm fairly resourceful, so I'll get something sorted eventually. ;)
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:02 pm

just in case anyone might be curious about what a Marlin Marlin 39A Guide Spring looks like
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x