Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Marlin spares.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Marlin spares.

Post by Mistered » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:01 pm

Cut a piece of strapping (banding) material to size, drill a hole slightly smaller, lay it on a piece of wood and run a taper punch through the hole to create the 'flare', chamfer the edges, give it slight bend to equate the original and eeasy peezy! - new guide spring!
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:32 pm

Les wrote:I have a Marlin 39A that needs a new cartridge guide spring. The agents here in the UK are out of stock, and they don't know when - or if - they will be getting any more.
Can you purchase the part elsewhere in Europe or has Brexit made that impossible?
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:45 pm

Looks like an auto parts hold down clip.
JEBar wrote:just in case anyone might be curious about what a Marlin Marlin 39A Guide Spring looks like
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:26 am

I never thought it was going to happen, but I finally managed to find a cartridge guide spring for my Marlin 39A. I knew that it was a rare species, but what I didn't bargain for was that it was probably the last one in captivity on this side of the pond, so I think we should now add them to the 'Extict' file here in Europe.

I fitted the spring on Wednesday, and went to the indoor range last night to put a few rounds through it to make sure it was still working OK. This target was the very first - and best - one that I shot. It is a group of six shots. The first was high, and the other 5 more or less went through the same hole. It is approx 3/8" ctc for the 5 shot group. Overall, I put around 90 shots through it without any problems. (breathes a big sigh of relief!) :D

It was shot at 25 metres indoors, rested at the front. I tried to repeat the group, it but it looks like it was going to be a 'first time lucky' type of night, but I was just delighted that the old girl was up and running again.

I'd forgotten how very different the Marlin is compared to my H001T. It felt quite stiff and agricultural compared to the silky smooth Henry, and the trigger was also quite heavy in comparison, but the accuracy was right up there with the best of 'em. I found the square edges on the underlever very uncomfortable at first, but soon got used to it again.

It must be the best part of 8 months since I started trying to get a new spring for the Marlin, but as I said earlier, I am just so happy that she is restored to full health again. It means I now have one more functional "Made In the USA" rifle in the cabinet to keep me company on the long, dark & cold Winter nights at the range. Happiness is! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x