Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Marlin spares.

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Marlin spares.

Post by Les » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:49 am

Can anybody perhaps tell me what the rules are with regard to sending spares overseas from the USA? I have a Marlin 39A that needs a new cartridge guide spring. The agents here in the UK are out of stock, and they don't know when - or if - they will be getting any more.

I found a couple of places in the USA that have them, but they don't ship overseas. I can understand some parts being prohibited from sending overseas, but I would have thought that a spring would be OK.

Is there a general ban on posting spares overseas, or is it down to the companies themselves to decide where they post to?
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Marlin spares.

Post by ESquared » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:09 am

Surely someone here is knowledgeable about these restrictions on international shipping from the US, but it's not me. Simple rifle scopes, for example, are not eligible for international shipping from the online dealers, it seems.

All that said, would be happy to help you, within the law, get the spring(s) you need. I'll do some digging, too, to see what I can find.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:14 am

Here's what you're looking for, at MidwayUSA. Don't see anything right off about international shipping restrictions...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/19241 ... marlin-39a
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:18 am

Thanks, ESquared. I did find the Midway site, but unfortunately they do not do international postage. It seems strange for something as harmless as a ½" spring, but that's the rule apparently.

https://www.midwayusa.com/help/internat ... ders/12014

I received this reply to an email that I sent them:

Hi Les,
Unfortunately no, we can not ship gun parts direct to the consumer per Federal ITAR laws. We do sell export parts to certified dealers in quantity.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:56 am

It seems strange for something as harmless as a ½" spring, but that's the rule apparently.
It's not so much the part but the uncertainty. U.S. distributors simply do not want to take the time and effort to determine which parts MIGHT be legal to ship - or might not - so they simply have a blanket rule of no international shipping.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:13 am

I've done a bit of research on ITAR and I don't see how a private party in the US would be at much risk for buying a spring and sending it to a friend outside the US. It's not a commercial transaction and the part in question is likely not covered anyway.

Not that we wouldn't dig deeper, but I'm willing to see if I can help (again, within the law).
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:40 am

Mistered wrote:
It seems strange for something as harmless as a ½" spring, but that's the rule apparently.
It's not so much the part but the uncertainty. U.S. distributors simply do not want to take the time and effort to determine which parts MIGHT be legal to ship - or might not - so they simply have a blanket rule of no international shipping.
It's mostly this. I worked for an on-line retailer of sporting goods in my last job and the penalties for shipping gun parts to someone overseas, illegally, was met with huge fines. Even some scope manufacturers were dragged into court and fined for shipping their products, unknowingly, to parties that later were exposed as fronts for terrorists. Rather than hire and pay an expert on ITAR, most outfits just chose to forgo the business of foreign markets on gun parts.We had such an expert on staff, but only for large bulk orders. Every order required a ton of paperwork, so wasn't cost effective to do it for small quantity orders.
Last edited by North Country Gal on Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:10 am

Sometimes one can find a spring close enough at a local hardware store. One the really good hardware stores that carry bins and bins of nuts, bolts, springs of all sorts and sizes.
Les wrote:Can anybody perhaps tell me what the rules are with regard to sending spares overseas from the USA? I have a Marlin 39A that needs a new cartridge guide spring. The agents here in the UK are out of stock, and they don't know when - or if - they will be getting any more.

I found a couple of places in the USA that have them, but they don't ship overseas. I can understand some parts being prohibited from sending overseas, but I would have thought that a spring would be OK.

Is there a general ban on posting spares overseas, or is it down to the companies themselves to decide where they post to?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:10 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Mistered wrote:
It's mostly this. I worked for an on-line retailer of sporting goods in my last job and the penalties for shipping gun parts to someone overseas, illegally, was met with huge fines. Even some scope manufacturers were dragged into court and fined for shipping their products, unknowingly, to parties that later were exposed as fronts for terrorists. Rather than hire and pay an expert on ITAR, most outfits just chose to forgo the business of foreign markets on gun parts.We had such an expert on staff, but only for large bulk orders. Every order required a ton of paperwork, so wasn't cost effective to do it for small quantity orders.
So, it still makes me wonder how it works on a simple part like this, between private parties, without money changing hands. Not a commercial transaction.
Still in the "not worth the risk" category?
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:15 pm

Can't advise you, there. Not a legal expert by any means.
0 x