Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

scope a 10/22 or buy a CZ 455

bmsma
Wrangler
United States of America

scope a 10/22 or buy a CZ 455

Post by bmsma » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:28 am

All:
im wanting to start doing more bench shooting for accuracy.

i have a ruger 10/22 talo classic iii, 20 in that i was considering a optics on, a vortex or nikon 2-7 rimfire.

but there is a CZ 512 22wmr with weaver 3x10 locally for sale for about 150 more,

i had been thinking on a CZ 455,

how does the 512 compare to the 455 accuracy wise ??

22lr is half the cost per round and this would be a more plinking paper puncher but the 22 wmr has some added benefits

thanks
Troy
0 x
Troy Jones
N Oklahoma,

1/2 of a old hippy couple just trying to enjoy life.
proud son of a WWII Veteran, Proud Father of a Veteran, Veteran USAF 85-92

ride safe, ride free, never forget those who paid for our freedom

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: scope a 10/22 or buy a CZ 455

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:14 am

In my expereince, if we''re talking 22 LR, the 512 compares very favorably to the the 455. You'll have to deal with the trigger on the 512, which is NOT easily tuned like the trigger on the 455 or modded to a target grade trigger as on the 10/22.

I would not, however, recommend the 22 mag as a great choice for bench shooting accuracy. Some 22 mags have been very accurate for me, but those have been more the exception than the rule. It's always been a hunting round from the get go.

I would rate the 17 HMR, though, as being a better alternative to the 22 mag for printing small groups. Been a much more consistently accurate cartridge for us and a great choice if you plan to shoot out past 50 yards. Overall, though, going 22 LR gives you a MUCH wider range of ammo and gun choices for serious bench work.
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:42 am

Troy, If you want to get into bench shooting the 22 Mag. 512 would not be a good choice in my mind. You may get a 512 to be as accurate as a 455 with both chambered in 22 LR but usually the bolt rifle is better unless you do a very expensive build on a 10/22 that is no longer even a Ruger. No after market for a 512 CZ's as far as I know. For the cost of a Ruger build you could buy several CZ rifles and keep the best shooting one and sell the others. The 512 also don't have any where near the trigger pull needed for target work. The 22 mag. ammo has no real target grade ammo even though it is much better today than when introduced years ago with very few choices. The ammo cost is to high for target work even at today's prices. There is folks that like the CZ 455 but I am not one of them. I had three in a row that was no where near the accuracy of the 452's I still own. I now own no 455's. No use for the switch barrel feature. A 452 Trainer 22 LR would be a very good choice especially if you also want to shoot scoped and open sight matches. The tangent sights on them are very accurate and just plain fun to shoot. The triggers are very easy to work on to get a very good pull weight with them and still be safe. The long barrel Ultra Lux is another great choice and even better than a Trainer with the longer sight radius if open sights are going to be used. I lean toward the 452's because of owning over a dozen now and never had but one that took a little while to shoot great groups. It is a Trainer but with some tuning on the trigger and some playing with the action screw torque it will hang with any of the others I have for accuracy.
If there is one 452 that seems to have more complaints about getting it to shoot well for some reason it is the 452 Varmint. Don't ask why because I haven't got a clue unless the manufacturing for it is on a whole different line. Then again there is the 452 FS that should not be as accurate as the others having all that wood the length of the barrel will usually shoot as well or better. Some guys on RimfireCentral that shoot the monthly matches shoot with their 452 FS guns because of their accuracy and have plenty of CZ's to choose from. Both my FS 452 22's shoot with any 22 LR's in my house and that is over 50 that my wife and I now own. There is 452's on gunbroker even though they are supposed to be out of production. NorthCountryGal will have some fine answers to some of your questions. Good luck on your choice.
0 x

bmsma
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmsma » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:10 pm

thanks for the replys all,
im leaning towards the CZ in 22 LR more and more, i prefer the look of the FS.

the changeable cal on the 455 isint a huge concern but finding a fs 452 might be, how different is the 455 from the 452 in terms of bench shooting ??

Troy
0 x
Troy Jones
N Oklahoma,

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:36 pm

Troy, thanks for the PM. Sent you an answer.

As I answered in my PM, the biggest variable is going to be the barrel you get, regardless of the CZ model. Our absolute best bench shooter is our CZ 453 17 HMR with a fluted barrel. Not many of these were made, so doubt you'll find one. Have one 455 American that is close to it and one 455 American that is not.
0 x

bmsma
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmsma » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:55 pm

thank you all again

i had thought about the 17hmr, but the cost of ammo is so close to a 223 i have to throw that in the mix as well,
0 x
Troy Jones
N Oklahoma,

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:08 pm

I have a pair of CZ 512 carbines in .22 Magnum. Despite the short (for .22WMR) ~16" barrel, they will easily keep up with and (with the right round) better my 10/22 with its favored ammo. I would imagine the standard barrel length on a 'regular' 512 would be even better. For me, that's great because (as others have mentioned) the WMR is more of a hunting round. I have found the Aguila "Silver Eagle" 40 grain semi-jacketed soft point .22 WMR round to be the most consistent .22mag I have tried.

It really depends on what you are wanting to do with it...I like to plink, and get more enjoyment out of shooting a semi-auto .22mag vs. an LR. If it is more for bench work, a bolt gun in .22LR makes more sense. If that is what you want, keep your eyes open for a clean 452/453, or search out an Anschutz. The "Annie" option will be pretty spendy though, even on the used market.

As far as optics go, a lot will depend on the distance(s) you plan on shooting at. Most of my rimfire shooting is 100 yards or less, so I chose to go with a Nikon Prostaff Target EFR 3-9X40. The very fine reticle and tiny dot at the center, combined with the adjustable objective work really well for me. I liked it so much, I bought a second one for my .17 HMR (Savage 93R17BRJ).
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:56 pm

I vote for the CZ 455 full stock. I really like those myself just havent pulled the trigger on one YET!
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

bmsma
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmsma » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:26 pm

hey all thanks again, and yes i do like the look of a FS and enjoy the 22 wmr round, but i think tommorow i start looking for a CZ American combo, the 22 lr for 50 and in then once i have that the 17 hmr for longer range .

and this all started because i had thought about adding and optic to my henry 22 wmr

im hoping to do some driving tommorrow and go should a couple, then have my local lgs order

Troy
0 x
Troy Jones
N Oklahoma,