Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Remingtom 700 PCR Review

garryj
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Remingtom 700 PCR Review

Post by garryj » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:07 pm

Last week I bought a Remington 700 PCR (precision chassis rifle) which is Remington’s late entry (February 2018) into the affordable precision rifle market. I was going to get the Savage Ashbury, but the Remington was about $100 less, which meant I could use the savings to reload more ammo. The included test target was a very respectable .53” at 100 yards with 168gr match ammo. This was from their C.A.T.S. (Computer Aided Targeting System), not an actual holes-in-paper target. I won’t go into details about this system, but if you are interested, go to Remington’s website and look it up.

My first thought when I took it out of the box was, “Man, this thing is heavy.” According to the specs on the rifle, it weighs a hefty 10.5 lbs empty and even more now that I’ve added a scope, bipod, and muzzle brake. After fondling it for a while, I realized that the weak links on this gun were going to be the trigger and the magazine. The trigger pull out of the box measured 4.5lbs, but I was able to adjust it (using the instructions in the manual) to a satisfactory 2.8lbs. The magazine turned out to be a non-issue, much to my relief. Feeding wasn’t super slick, but it did its job.

From Remington:

Remington Model 700 PCR Features

Remington Chassis
24” barrel with 5R rifling
Threaded muzzle with protector
Tactical bolt knob, for swift, positive cycling
X-Mark Pro externally adjustable trigger
Aluminum handguard with SquareDrop
Picatinny rail
5-round Magpul detachable magazine
Adjustable Magpul PRS Gen 3 stock
Magpul pistol grip
3-shot sub-MOA assurance

Remington Model 700 PCR Specs

Mag. Capacity: 5
Barrel Length: 24″
Twist (Right Hand): 8 (10 for .308 Win)
Overall Length: 44″
Length of Pull: 13.25-15.25″
Drop (Comb): .25 – 1″
Drop (Heel):*.25 – 1.75″
Barrel Material: Carbon Steel
Barrel Finish: Matte Blue
Stock Material: Polymer
Stock Finish: Matte Black
Average Weight: 10.5 lbs
MSRP: $1,199

Big Green is offering 3 calibers: .308 Winchester (which is what I got); 6.5 Creedmoor; and 260 Remington. Note that the 3-shot sub-MOA is NOT a guarantee, but an assurance – big difference. Also, the going price for these on the web is $900 to $1099.

Range report to follow.

Garry
PCRR.JPG
PCRL.JPG
PCRMB.JPG
PCRHG.JPG
PCRSM.JPG
PCRSPG.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Remingtom 700 PCR Review

Post by JEBar » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:17 pm

fascinating .... we own 2 Remington 700's and neither of them looks anything like the one in your pictures .. :? .. sure hope yours serves you well ... looking forward to your continued reports
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:15 am

garryj, Hope it is a good shooter for you. Most 308 bolt action rifles shoot well with good ammo. Kind of strange Remington offering it in two 6.5 caliber cartridges especially in the 260 Remington that wasn't a great seller to start with. The Creedmoor I can understand as it is a hot seller. There is not much difference between the two 6.5 rounds but I would put my money on the Creedmoor as being more accurate. More went into the development of the Creedmore than just simply necking down a cartridge Remington already had to .264 diameter. If I was buying a new rifle in another caliber other than .224 dia.(which I am not) it would be a 6.5 Creedmoor but I don't need one with the very fine shooting Remington 700 Classic chambered in 250 Savage.
I am to much old school and stuck on rifles that are blued steel and walnut wood to buy a tactical style rifle. No problem with other folks buying what they want and that is why they make different models. I won't even buy a knife that is not an older traditional style knife like I grew up with. Sounds pretty bad to be stuck on the old stuff that much but that is just me.
You did pick a good caliber for your rifle and I expect it to shoot well and hope you enjoy it. The 5R rifling is supposed to shoot well and some say it is easier to clean but I don't have a rifle with it right now. I am a little surprised by how much it weighs.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:43 am

Thanks, Garry. I don't think you'll have any trouble printing 3 shot groups of an inch or less, especially with a 308 bolt gun. From my experience, that sort of guarantee is more marketing than anything else. Sooner or later, most rifles will do a three shot group of an inch if you shoot them long enough. :)

Have to say, the tactical look isn't my thing, but that is an impressive looking piece of armament. Also have to say, that despite my love of traditional looks on a gun, I'm also a proponent of "beauty is, as beauty does". Have had several less than pretty guns in my time and I forgot all about their looks if they could print nice groups.

Please follow up with a range report when you can. That's going to generate a lot of interest, I'm sure.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:57 am

Sorry not a fan of the MR.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

garryj
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by garryj » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:09 am

Unfortunately, the promised range report is going to be very late. I went to the range on Friday and just as I was getting my scope dialed in, the scope malfunctioned and I do not have a backup. The good news is that the scope has a lifetime warranty so, even though I've had it for six years and have no receipt, the company that makes it is going to either repair or replace it. I may try a scope off of one of my other guns, but the weather doesn’t look like it’s going to cooperate on the days I can get to the range.

Garry
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:48 pm

I'm looking forward to your Range Reports; distances, target size, ammo used, etc. My son-in-law purchased a Ruger Precision Rifle in .65 Creedmore a couple of years ago, and participates in some national competitions. I've handled his rifle, but not shot it yet although he has offered. Almost a little much for me as an elder gent, who chambers his Henry SGC or BBS .357 with a lever-action twist-of-the-wrist!

During last year's final meets, he and his partner (spotter position) were shooting out to +1200 yards. Almost hard to imagine what it takes to land a round in a smaller-than-15"-target at that range. But these fellows do it....impressive shooting.

What will be your primary use for your 700?
Thanks for the interesting post. Enjoy!
PT7
Last edited by PT7 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

~Пока~

garryj
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by garryj » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:21 am

Hurricane Michael and a bout of the flu will delay RR even more. Hopefully some time in the coming week.

Garry
1 x

garryj
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by garryj » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:20 pm

Range report posted under Range Reports.

Garry
0 x