Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Favorite 39A

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Favorite 39A

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:06 pm

I bought a 39A about 7 years ago from a private owner. I almost didn't buy it when I looked at it because it had a huge walnut grip cap on it that looked like a deer hoof. The rest of the rifle was in mint condition so I gave the man $300 for it. I had to put a ejector spring to get it to really kick the fired rounds out. Then the first winter I owned it I went to work on reducing the glued on grip cap down to a lot smaller in size and got rid of the hoof shape and refinished the fore arm and the stock. It has decent wood grain and it turned out very good and then like an idiot I sold it to my friend for the $300 I paid for it. I really missed it because it had a 1 3/4 lb. trigger and with the Williams FP sight it was a very fun rifle for off hand shooting and had great accuracy. A month or two passed and he called and said he needed to get his money back out of it and never shot it after buying it. I told him I wanted it back so I paid him and it will be here when I am gone. Well I was cleaning it up the other night after sending several boxes of ammo down the tube shooting shot shell hulls off hand I noticed how the gold trigger was looking wore to where there is little gold left on it. (I hate ugly gold triggers any way) While deciding about maybe just stripping it all off and leave it silver or cold blue it I noticed that the right edge of the trigger has been filed off perfect for the trigger finger to lay in there really nice. I then got another 39A out of the safe and tried it and there is no comparison on how much better the trigger feels with the squared off edge filed off. I can't believe I never noticed this in 7 years of shooting and cleaning this gun. The guy that had it shot in silhouette matches and probably done this to the trigger for better feel on it. I believe now this has been some of the reason this is my go to Marlin 39A all this time even with other peep sighted Marlins sitting right there to choose from. I feel really dumb for taking this long to notice what had been done. I think the guy had a great idea and I like it. ;) :D
2 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Favorite 39A

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:58 pm

bandit1250 wrote: I think the guy had a great idea and I like it. ;) :D
I love to read what you share with us about your firearms, Bandit. I always learn something. Thanks.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:56 pm

Now that you mention it, I have done the same to a couple of the triggers my guns, mostly on some 1911s with grooved triggers. Out of the box, a couple of those had triggers so sharp on the edges and grooves that they were actually uncomfortable to shoot after a few rounds. Ended up doing the same thing, namely, filing off the sharp edges, more so on one side than the other, until I got a nice, smooth, easy on the trigger finger fit. Not a fan of grooved triggers or triggers with sharp edges.
Last edited by North Country Gal on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:05 pm

NCG, Something entered my mind as I was typing that about the 39A. What entered my mind(what little I have left) was I bet NCG has already modified some triggers to fit her finger the way it feels best to her. :) I may end up doing some of my favorite rifles I shoot the most. Sounds like another winter project to put on the growing list of things to do when the bad weather arrives. I think this winter is going to be a dandy for snowfall. :(
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:59 pm

Neat story Bandit and when you got to the part about the trigger it immediately made me think about shooting the M&P H&K and the other polymer frame guns I have shot. For some reason when I shoot those my finger always gets pinched at the bottom of the trigger right into the trigger guard. Its an uncomfortable feeling and I dont like it. With the CZ I dont get that feeling. Now the shield model of S&W doesnt do that. I own one of those for carry and besides that CZ's and 1911's
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:07 am

bandit1250 wrote:NCG, Something entered my mind as I was typing that about the 39A. What entered my mind(what little I have left) was I bet NCG has already modified some triggers to fit her finger the way it feels best to her. :) I may end up doing some of my favorite rifles I shoot the most. Sounds like another winter project to put on the growing list of things to do when the bad weather arrives. I think this winter is going to be a dandy for snowfall. :(
Definitely shaping up that way. Here we go, again. Need to get my indoor air gun range cleaned up and ready to go.
1 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:56 pm

That's a great story, bandit, and it just goes to prove that it isn't always the expensive "bells and whistles" that make a rifle special. ;)
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:31 pm

Great story and, like others, it reminded me of taking some fine grit sandpaper wrapped around a dowel rod to the grooved trigger of a Sig 1911 I bought a while back. WAY too sharp, just like NCG described: just plain uncomfortable to shoot.
Once I smoothed out the ridges, it was great.
Yep, it can be little things, plus the curiosity and courage to tweak them, that can turn a firearm from good to great.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357