Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Modded 10/22

rwortman
Wrangler
United States of America

Modded 10/22

Post by rwortman » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:59 pm

I wanted to put a wild stock on it when I lived in CT but found out that a thumbhole stock on an semiauto of any caliber is considered an "assault rifle" and is banned. So now I live in Alabama and here it is now. It has a Green Mt tapered 20" barrel (I bought the tapered version because I had a Hogue stock that had the tapered barrel channel. BTW not in love with that rubbery noodle of a stock but it fit me better than the factory carbine stock) I tuned the trigger(hours and hours with fine stones and little bits of 600 grit paper) and drilled and tapped the trigger guard for an overtravel stop. It has a replacement bolt stop that releases when you pull the bolt back and an aftermarket charging handle. I just put on a Shooters Ridge extended mag release. You pull it toward you like a trigger and it drops the mag clear. Delrin bolt buffer made by me. (cutting off a piece of Delrin rod stock takes 2 minutes and costs almost nothing. I think I paid less than $10 for 3 feet of it. Anyone want some?) Leupold VX-1 2-7 x 33 scope, and the other recent addition is an Altamont Barracuda stock. $135 including the checkering and stippling. To get the same from that other stock maker costs $50 more. This one seems better finished than that other brand stock that I have on my .270. I just got back from checking zero on my backyard range and plinking a bit and I really like it. Seems to shoot better than it did in the Hogue stock. Won't know for sure until I drag my rest and a chair back there. I have a couple of factory 25 round mags on order for it that were also illegal where I used to live.

0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Modded 10/22

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:22 pm

Love that snazzy looking, modern style thumbhole stock. I'm a traditionalist in my gun tastes, but I do like the looks of that stock. Has a flowing streamlined look to it. Been awhile since I modded a 10/22, but I know how much fun int can be. Can't wait to hear how it shoots. Nice work.
0 x

rwortman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by rwortman » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:38 pm

All my other guns have traditional lines. This is my one exception. Thanks for the nice words.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:19 pm

Great workmanship inside and out, it looks and sounds like. The wood is beautiful and it looks like a serious shooter. What Leupold do you have mounted?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

rwortman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by rwortman » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:57 pm

Leupold VX-1 2-7 x 33
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:07 pm

You sure did an excellent job with the mods on your 10/22. Looks great!
As always for me, my eyes gravitate immediately to wood stocks on rifles, wood grips on handguns. That's my favorite part of any firearm.

The wood color and grains you have are top-notch. I wouldn't mind that color/look on either of my carbines. Thanks for showing us your work and those fine-looking photos. Enjoy shooting it, too. ;)
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:44 pm

WOW!!!
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

rwortman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by rwortman » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:56 pm

PT7 wrote:
The wood color and grains you have are top-notch. I wouldn't mind that color/look on either of my carbines. Thanks for showing us your work and those fine-looking photos. Enjoy shooting it, too. ;)
PT7
FYI This stock is made from wood laminate. Layers of stained birch bonded with high strength epoxies. High tech plywood. More stable than plain wood. I have another rifle with a gray laminate stock that is just ok. Incomplete stain penetration in some layers left unsightly light spots. It's still strong and stable but not as pretty. This particular laminate along with the way curves of the stock reveal the layers is quite striking to my eye. I am glad you like it too.
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:06 pm

Looks great! Love the 10/22 for the multitude of options to make it personal.
I need to get mine out of the closet and feed it.
Looking forward to a range report on your new beauty.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)