Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

CZ FS 222

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

CZ FS 222

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:28 pm

The CZ FS 222 came in last Tuesday and my wife and I went to have a look at it. She really liked it and she thinks it is a nice match to her FS 452 22 LR in size and weight. So I told her she should get it instead of me as I already have a couple 222's. She has had some 223's and a 22-250 but never a 222. Still has her 700 Classic in 223. So she did the paper work on it and now it is hers. I took it out of the stock and cleaned all the shipping grease from it and then adjusted the trigger to 2 1/4 lb. on the unset and 8 oz. on the set. She only bench shoots and is no stranger to light triggers. She never hunts but has shot prairie dogs when we go to Wyoming and Montana. The rifle has no lottery winning wood but nice grain and medium-dark in color but the inletting is first class. The barrel channel is perfect from the action forward and that saves me from having to mess with a stock that doesn't have a lot of wood to work with. Checkering is not what the hand cut checkering of the older rifles were. I will fix that this winter for her to improve the feel and how it looks. I put a 3-9 Leupold on it in a set of Tikka T-3 rings. I had to move the recoil pin from the center of the rear ring to the left side for the notch in the CZ action. I doubt the 222 would move the scope under recoil but it was only a matter of drilling a hole for the pin to hold things from sliding on the dove tails. I will sight it in with the factory loads and she can shoot them up and I will work up a load for it soon. I sat on the back porch and cycled the action 500 times and it is very smooth now and my wife will start off with a smooth action before firing her first shot. :D I have a deal going now to get a CZ FS Hornet so maybe she will trade me the 222 if she likes the Hornet better. ;) Then again maybe she will want both. :shock: She might just let me use one if I am nice. ;)
4 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: CZ FS 222

Post by PT7 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:38 pm

Your wife sure has it good with an at-home-gunsmith, Bandit. :)
An interesting thread on your newest CZ rifle....thanks!

Oh yes. How long did it take you to "cycle the action 500 times and get it very smooth?" Gotta have some wrist power for sure! ;)
PT7
1 x

~Пока~

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:13 pm

Didn't keep track of the amount of time. Did a 100 then laid it down and watch all the deer in the field here at my home and then cycle it some more until I got the 500. I cycled it 200 more today while sitting on the porch wondering when the rain would start. Missed us so far. Any way her rifle action is smooth now. We had 34 deer in the field at one time a few evenings back. Several very nice eight points in with them. They are friends now but that will change in November. ;)
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:05 pm

One of the things I love about the CZ 527 is how that action smooths up. Sounds like the FS is ready to go. Let us know how it shoots for her. :)
1 x

rwortman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by rwortman » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:35 pm

I assume this is a 527?
0 x