Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

CZ 527 Varmint

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

CZ 527 Varmint

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:24 am

I had this CZ Varmint with the walnut stock on hold at my LGS. I contacted the shop owner and he said he had two gun smiths waiting on a used Remington 700 to get an action. So I took the walnut stock off the 700 that I had put on it and put the original synthetic stock back on because I already knew the walnut stock would not make a difference in value to the gun smith. So he offered me $250 on trade and I had paid $275 for it so I didn't feel bad on that price because the CZ was priced well and I saved $15 in taxes by trading the Remington off. So I paid $150 difference and $15 in tax. Lose a little on some and make it back up some where else. ;) The CZ sells here for $630+tax so at $399 and supposedly with less than a half a box of ammo fired it sounds like a good buy. It has the box and everything with it and a new set of Leupold rings in the package unopened. Makes me doubt that the guy ever fired it. He traded another rifle in on the CZ he had less than a week. He said the CZ didn't fit him and the safety is backwards. Pretty well straight grained so no wood lottery winner here. Varmint and target rifles seem to do better with the straight grained wood for accuracy and holding zero better. Another reason I doubt it has been fired or maybe the reason he only had it 3 days is the trigger was terrible. I took it out of the stock and adjusted the unset trigger and it won't go lower than 3 1/4 lb. even with the adjuster screw removed so it needs a spring change for the unset.The set trigger I made it 6 ounces. Installed the leupold rings and made some ring liners for them to not scratch the tube on my new Leupold VX II 6-18X40. Have a little over a 1/4" of clearance at the barrel and the same for the bolt at the eye piece. All is well there with the complete Leupold set up. The head space is the same as my Tikka 223"s so no need for separate dies. :D Hope to fire it this week or next and maybe my grandson can get my picture problem fixed by then. I am hoping for 1/2"- 3/4" accuracy. I really don't care for the 1-9 twist and would rather have the 1-12. I know I am the odd man out with me liking the 1-12 twist barrels but I have had much more accurate 223's with twelve twist barrels plus I prefer 50-53 gr. bullets which I already have thousands of those weights. Every one have a safe and fun week end. :)
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:41 am

I wouldn't sweat the 1 in 9 twist. Have had several CZs 223s with that twist, including a laminate Varmint, and all did well with 50 to 55 grain bullets. Can't guarantee 1/2" groups, but I can just about guarantee you 3/4", based on all of our CZs in that chambering. We specifically bought our CZ 223s to shoot cheap factory ammo for range time fun and not have to reload. They do that very well.
1 x

rwortman
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by rwortman » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:08 am

I have a 527 American in .223 and it is a tack driver. With Black Hills 50g Vmax loads it will shoot sub MOA with a nut like me behind the trigger. I love the set trigger. With a rifle this accurate and a solid rest it's not that hard, but shooting 5 for 5 at golf balls at 100 yds is great way to show off to your non shooting friends.
1 x