Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

I coldn't help myself

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

I coldn't help myself

Post by clovishound » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:35 pm

My buddy and I were out and about today and were talking about the issue I have with the barrel on my Mauser. I have been looking at replacing the barrel, but didn't want to spend close to $300 on it. We were making the rounds of several pawn shops, and I spotted a nice Weatherby Vanguard on the wall in 30-06. I had them take it down and looked it over. It has obviously been out in the woods many times, but did not appear to have been shot much, and no damage or heavy wear. It had a synthetic stock (practical, but not pretty) and a serviceable, if unremarkable Weaver 3-9 50 scope. Barrel looked good. Price was $250 on clearance.

It went home with me. Cleaned it and took it to the range and got nice three shot cloverleaves at 25 yds. Trigger was horrible. Got home and disassembled and adjusted the pull weight down, and it is much better. Barrel cleaned up with little to no copper fouling after 10 rounds.

This should make short work of a 100 to 175 lb hog this fall.

I might have to invest in a limbsaver recoil pad. Stock pad is way too hard for 30-06 recoil.
4 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: I coldn't help myself

Post by JEBar » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:51 pm

congrats on the new addition to your family .... it should serve you well .... recoil understood, both of our sons have Ruger M77 synthetic stock 30-06's .... to deal with it, we had them replace the OEM recoil pads, insert a mercury recoil suppressor in the stock and had them Mag-n-ported .... doing so tamed them down to were our daughter-in-laws can fire them
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:06 pm

Have shot a couple Vanguards, myself. They're Howa actions. Super guns for the money. Can't go wrong. Congrats.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:12 am

JEBar wrote:congrats on the new addition to your family .... it should serve you well .... recoil understood, both of our sons have Ruger M77 synthetic stock 30-06's .... to deal with it, we had them replace the OEM recoil pads, insert a mercury recoil suppressor in the stock and had them Mag-n-ported .... doing so tamed them down to were our daughter-in-laws can fire them
Well, my daughter seems to enjoy shooting "the beast", as we call it. That's the 30-06 Mauser. Don't know about compensated, or a mercury suppressor, but a new recoil pad is definitely in the cards.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:31 am

I have one in 240wby, shoots great. Son put a sub 2" group on steel with it at 550y using factory ammo, a bit of luck involved but it shot sub 1" at a 100y consistently with the same ammo and half that with reloads it likes.
Also have a S&W1500 in 222 that is the same action, it still shoots well despite nearly 10,000 rds down the barrel.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:57 am

clovishound wrote:Well, my daughter seems to enjoy shooting "the beast", as we call it. That's the 30-06 Mauser. Don't know about compensated, or a mercury suppressor, but a new recoil pad is definitely in the cards.
tip of my cap to your daughter .. 8-) .. IF a mercury recoil suppressor ===> http://www.mercuryrecoil.com/suppressors/index.htm <=== can be installed, it usually saves on labor to have it done at the same time as the replacement recoil pad ....
0 x