Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

CZ Lux 22 LR

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

CZ Lux 22 LR

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:01 am

I bought the CZ Lux 452 back in April from my LGS. The only thing I did to it was adjust the trigger after bringing it home. When I took it from the stock there was shims in the stock just ahead of the action. It was used so I just left them in for the initial shooting sessions. I never do leave the factory checkering alone for long so I took the stock off and recut the factory checkering to clean up it and straighten out the bad borders. The Lux is just a Trainer with walnut stock instead of the Trainer Beech wood. Old enough to have the factory hand cut checkering. While apart I removed the shims and laid them aside in case the accuracy headed south with them out. I had all my previous targets to look back on so I tried the same ammo with the shims out. Don't know why the shims were in there because my groups were all about 25% or more better than before. This rifle loves the Geco bolt action ammo and also the semi-auto marked ammo. We have a pair of very pretty Blue birds nesting in our bird box. We are over run with cow birds that won't leave the Blue birds alone and I shot some with the Sheridan pellet rifle. Then they wised up and would fly farther into the field when I went out side and out of pellet rifle range. So now with the CZ Lux back together and sighted in I had it sitting out of the safe to use it if I needed it. So I ranged the cow birds sitting on the tall weeds in the field at 102 yards. I used the Leupold duplex where it gets heavy as a hold over guide that I had already tried at the range for 100 yd. shooting. It was a good calm morning and I was lucky enough to go 11 for 11 on the cow birds. Then I shot one at about 35 yds. and for got to hold down a little and cut it across the back and it ran a short distance to the high grass and I shot it again to finish it off. There is still some cow birds around but they are not bothering the Blue birds as much now since the little ones in the box are hatched. This CZ Lux is one of my favorites of my 452's and now it looks better and shoots better than before. I don't believe the cow birds like it. ;) If you get a chance try some of the Geco ammo. Same stuff as the Norma Tac 22 and quite a bit cheaper at $205/ case and free shipping. Hope everyone is enjoying the Summer weather and getting in some shooting time. :)
5 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: CZ Lux 22 LR

Post by Mags » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:15 am

Very nice saga. Thanks for sharing it. Do you know if the cow birds were successful at laying an egg in the blue bird nest?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:24 am

$205 is a steal. Buy a pallet.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:55 am

Thanks for protecting the Bluebirds. One of my favorites. Used to go on a Bluebird nest route at a bird sanctuary and keep the nests free of Cowbird eggs and Sparrow nests and so on.

Those shims may have come from the previous owner buying into the myth that a barrel always needs to be free floated to shoot its best. My experiments to "improve" accuracy by free floating out of the box guns has been a disaster often enough that I stopped doing it real quick.

You did well to grab that 452. Still see some 452 Trainers around, since they were very common and only recently discontinued, but other versions like the Lux, FS and American are getting scarce, now.
2 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:13 pm

North Country Gal wrote:

Those shims may have come from the previous owner buying into the myth that a barrel always needs to be free floated to shoot its best. My experiments to "improve" accuracy by free floating out of the box guns has been a disaster often enough that I stopped doing it real quick.

You did well to grab that 452. Still see some 452 Trainers around, since they were very common and only recently discontinued, but other versions like the Lux, FS and American are getting scarce, now.
I never float a barrel on any rifle until it gets a very good work out at the range to see what it does. I have friends that float barrels on rifles before ever testing it to see how it shoots. How do you know if you are not making it worse? Much easier to try the barrel floating if the accuracy is sub par for the caliber and rifle. I bought the Lux for $279 in mint condition other than the poor (to me) checkering which turned out to be very nice after the re-cutting of it. This Lux is a very accurate 452 with a super nice trigger after working on it.
1 x