Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

CZ FS 452

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

CZ FS 452

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:33 pm

We have been having some very hot and humid days in our area and I have been staying in my basement room where it is cool and catching up on some gun work I have been dragging my feet on getting finished up. I have been wanting to do the checkering over on one of my 452 FS 22's that has the worst checkering I ever saw on a CZ. It was made far enough back to have the hand cut checkering and I think the person that did this one it was on a Monday after being drunk all week end. The first few hours I worked on it I soon found it to be the most challenging one I have done yet. After the first panel was done I thought to my self about why did I have to start this job. This is one you work on until you can't stand it any more and throw down the checkering tools and find something else to do. After three days of on and off working on it I completed it last Sunday morning after waking up at 3:00 AM and couldn't go back to sleep I went down stairs and worked until I got it done. I stayed with it until I had a numb finger from holding the tool. I am very much satisfied with this one and maybe a little more than my Trainer and my Lux I have redone the checkering on recently. These Full Stock models are my favorite CZ's and I really wanted this one to look better and now it is satisfying to see the improvement. My wife and I have been in the bolt action shooting mode here recently and only been shooting CZ's. She loves her 452 Trainer I gave her and really takes a pass on shooting her 39A Marlin's now. I asked her why she doesn't take the Marlins out to shoot and she replied "This CZ is so much easier than the Marlins to hit small targets at 50 yards out and farther. She also said she loves the the 12 ounce creep free trigger I tuned for her. I find it hard to argue with her answers. Any one who shoots a CZ rim fire always seems to love the way they shoot and the workmanship in them for a price that won't break the bank. ;) :D By the way these are both scoped Trainers but we do have tangent sight model CZ's to shoot when we want to. Both have 2-7 Leupold scopes I set the parallax for 60 yards for rim fire use.
4 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: CZ FS 452

Post by Mags » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:49 pm

Do you have before and after pictures of your checkering work?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:51 am

It would be nice to see your handiwork. It has been very hot and humid here in Southern Ontario for the last week or two as well...haven't got much shooting in. I am awaiting delivery of my first CZ...a 512 carbine in .22WMR.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:17 am

The heat and humidity have slowed down our shooting, too. Hottest I've ever seen, up here in the north country. Been tempted to go back indoors with some airgun shootings Ike I do in the winter.

I do understand about bolt guns like the CZ (which we often convert to single shot) or single shots getting the call when it comes time to grab guns and head to the range. That slower shooting pace is a better match for our style of shooting, not to mention a better fit for this hot weather shooting. Now don't break out the flame throwers, Henry fans. Not putting lever guns, down. It's just that we don't need any degree of quick repeat shots for our rifle shooting. We do fine with the simpler types of actions. And, yes, the great accuracy that comes with these simpler rifle actions is nice, too.

Even our old vintage Winchester 67 single shot bolt action 22s do a good job for us in the accuracy department. Can't play Annie Oakley or step back in time to the Old West with this one, but it shoots great and is about as bombproof a 22 as it gets.
Imagescreengrab
4 x