Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ruger PC Carbine Anyone Got One?

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Ruger PC Carbine Anyone Got One?

Post by Bugs » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:56 am

https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html
This was recently featured in the Dillon Blue Press magazine and looked interesting. What piqued my interest the most is the way it is built may lend itself to possible caliber changes on one platform. Plus the price is right. With some 9 mm carbines at $1500 and up this seems like a great deal. So who's got one and what do you like and not like about this gun?
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Ruger PC Carbine Anyone Got One?

Post by Mistered » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:32 am

I would like to get one as I have always wanted a 9mm carbine but the options are few but the PCC might fill the gap. I had a Kel Tec sub 2000 but not for long - don't ask! Reviews on the new PCC are very good with few to no negative reports. Seems like Ruger got it right with this design and they are selling as soon as they hit the shelves. With anything for me however it comes down to how it fits me and one thing I like about the PCC is it comes with spacers to adjust the length of pull which is important to me. I just wish one would stay in the LGS long enough to look at!
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:25 pm

I don't have one of these carbines, but would like to comment on it. It is not the style of gun I prefer, although my Savage Arms 320 Security shotgun looks somewhat similar with a pistol grip and made of black synthetic materials. Anyway, there are features on the Ruger PC Carbine that I like. If I were to get this style long gun, I'd consider it to be in the running.

My son-in-law has a Colt AR-15 Semi-Auto 9mm carbine, and it really shoots well. He uses night vision optics and has a suppressor mounted on his. He demo'd it for me one night as he was taking out some pesky coyotes at the end of his longer shooting ranges, around 400 yards. When he first picked it up, I told him I didn't have my ears in yet. He said I didn't need plugs or muffs with the suppressor. Absolutely right. The shot sound is almost a projectile "whisper." Cannot really describe it, but hardly audible. This Ruger has one model with the option of a threaded barrel. Cool to have a choice.

I really like the sights on this Ruger carbine -- adjustable ghost-ring rear with the protected front blade. Perfect choice for me. I think it's a good caliber for a carbine. 9mm doesn't recoil overly hard at all, and fairly inexpensive ammo to purchase. It would have to be for me since you can run through the 17+1 round magazine capacity very quickly! And to have the option to use Glock magazines with the converter base is a neat feature also.

In a review commentary I read on the Bud's Gun Shop web site for this carbine, one fellow mentioned that he is awaiting a company called Boyds Gunstocks to come out with a Walnut Stock to replace the synthetic version of this Ruger. With that as a possibility down the road, that also makes this an interesting gun to look at. Sharp-looking wood stocks are the best part of any long gun in my book.

BTW, some reviews I've read about the Ruger have been mostly positive. Finally, also found a shooting & review video of this Carbine done by 22plinkster. He has mostly kudos for the rifle, and also demos the fairly-simply take down process. Here is that video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gooz-sXA6fw You probably have already looked at it, Bugs.

Best on your search and decision.
PT7
1 x

~Пока~

Petey
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Petey » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:23 am

I just picked one two weeks ago.... Have yet to shoot it= busy busy.
But I can say this. I broke it all down, as I do every new purchase,and was amazed how clean everything was. ( sans the barrel) The bolt , trigger group everything. No production shavings , dirt ,crud or mystery muck.
Overall Design = Over the top. easy to break it down to smallest components. A job well done on Ruger's part.

Now if could just find some time to go shootin........

Good luck ,
Petey
2 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:52 am

Though it's in my caliber, not my cup of tea; but that's what makes living in a society where we are free to choose so great.

I think the way it takes Glock mags is ingenious and will be a HUGE selling point for folks that own Glocks.
0 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:31 am

My range partner has one. It is great. I love it. Sights are wonderful, extremely reliable and accurate. And, if you hand load for 9mm, extremely inexpensive and I can find lots of once fired brass at our range. I almost forgot one of the best things about it, the trigger! The PC Carbine is very much like a take down 10/22, but with an extremely nice trigger.
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:51 am

The consensus with nearly everyone who owns one, as well as reviews, is that Ruger really did their homework and got it right with this carbine. Seems they removed everything 'wrong' with the original PC (which is kind of 'clunky') and streamlined it. Naturally a lot of the 'AR' fanboys think Ruger should have designed it along those lines but I suspect there are some 'undertones' as to why they didn't and kept it along a more 'conventional' design.
0 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:55 am

I would be interested in one, but first it needs to come to Canada (in a non-restricted variant), and second, it needs a wood stock...too black for me.
0 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:01 am

Mistered wrote:The consensus with nearly everyone who owns one, as well as reviews, is that Ruger really did their homework and got it right with this carbine. Seems they removed everything 'wrong' with the original PC (which is kind of 'clunky') and streamlined it. Naturally a lot of the 'AR' fanboys think Ruger should have designed it along those lines but I suspect there are some 'undertones' as to why they didn't and kept it along a more 'conventional' design.
Yes, I think it is good that they kept it along the lines of a 10/22 rather than an AR. I love both platforms and it is good to have an additional choice. Plus, last round hold open. That is not common with 9mm AR's. My wife would prefer a 9mm AR and that is why I have not yet purchased a Ruger PC Carbine. But looking around at the prices, I may still get one. It would be a perfect companion for our 19's and therefore a great rifle to take with me every day in my truck. A Henry Single Shot may come first!
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

Petey
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Petey » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:24 pm

Shot mine today..... It's accurate enough for sure. Easy handling and no big surprises.
I will say this - The trigger sucks!
OH GASP!!!
I know so many say they love the trigger, but let's face it .....triggers are like pizza. What one person loves , another won't touch. So there.
It has so much creep and over-travel, it's amazing . Volquartsen is supposed to have a trigger unit available near the end of summer. Looking forward to that! But all in all , It's a fun package and will most certainly do the job as a house gun , plinker and small nuisance eliminator.

Happy Shootin!
Petey
1 x