Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Side Gate Loading Lever Rifle which one?

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Side Gate Loading Lever Rifle which one?

Post by Mistered » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:18 pm

Ah, just forget the side gate and get a Henry.
Already have one.
1 x

MSUDAWG
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by MSUDAWG » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:12 pm

I have recently bought two marlin lever guns “remlins”, and they are both good shooters. The lever is not as smooth as my Henry’s, but they function and are very accurate. I have gotten 1.5 inch groups at a lasered 100 yds with both. One is a 1894 45 colt, and the other is a 336 SS. I will likely buy a 1894css if they ever make them again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:22 pm

I love your 336 in SS. The wood contrasts with it very nicely.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:09 am

clovishound wrote:Ah, just forget the side gate and get a Henry.

Somebody had to say it.
Yes. I understand and thought about it. It would probably make loading easier for my wife and the finish. But, I like the ideal of not taking the rifle out of service to load. Like I mentioned previously, one role I would like for the rifle to function in is self defense. No, I suspect I will not be in a shoot out. But, I like to have the option of the rifle being in service while loading.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:11 am

Mags wrote:I love your 336 in SS. The wood contrasts with it very nicely.
Yes, nice contrast.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:36 am

Have a couple of shooting pals, locally, who have bought Remlins and they also report great accuracy. Just a matter of finding a good one and not getting burned with a lemon.

My 1997 Marlin 357 with Ballard rifling is actually the most accurate 357 anything I've ever shot. Actually outshoots my 357 Contender carbine with a custom barrel.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:02 pm

My 1997 Marlin 357 with Ballard rifling is actually the most accurate 357 anything I've ever shot.
Gee thanks for mentioning this! Just one more reason to draw the 'short straw' with my decision on the aforementioned Marlin I am considering!
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:14 pm

GFK wrote:
clovishound wrote:Ah, just forget the side gate and get a Henry.

Somebody had to say it.
Yes. I understand and thought about it. It would probably make loading easier for my wife and the finish. But, I like the ideal of not taking the rifle out of service to load. Like I mentioned previously, one role I would like for the rifle to function in is self defense. No, I suspect I will not be in a shoot out. But, I like to have the option of the rifle being in service while loading.
First, I was just messing with you. I love Henrys, but I don't drink orange Koolaide. As to self defense use of a lever rifle. My take is that if I need more than 10 rounds for self defense, I am in trouble that I probably won't make it out of anyway. Now, if gang home invasions become more common where I live, I might change my tune. Right now, I'm content with the 7 loaded up in my 1911 for defense of my family and self. Of course, every one has a different comfort level.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:07 pm

My take is that if I need more than 10 rounds for self defense, I am in trouble that I probably won't make it out of anyway.
Pretty much - considering the average number of shots fired in self defense is less than two after reading some statistics a while back. While a lever action would be an EFFECTIVE self defense weapon I wouldn't consider it as PRIMARY but that could depend on one's circumstances. If in the outdoors and I found myself in need of a defensive firearm for either two, (or multiple legged creatures) then I think a lever (in well practiced hands) would be a good choice. If I were aggressed in any manner while in the woods and had one of my levers with me, and I had the opportunity to deploy it, I would consider myself on pretty good grounds knowing my ability with my levers. Given what I have experienced watching some people shooting with their 'assault weapons' I would feel pretty good with a lever at a 100 yards and with cover and concealment.
In a recent, first and only (and hopefully never again) 'situation' where I had to draw a gun defensively it was my CZ 75 9mm. While I could have possibly utilized a lever the situation was such that it would have taken more time and possibly could have been inhibited by the indoor nature of my encounter..
The bottom line is one is probably well served with the approximate nine rounds say in a Henry for self defense purposes and quick reloading would most likely not be necessary.
The side gate/tube load issue has become one of the most debated on gun forums - especially with the rise in popularity of Henry rifles. Chances are however most of the debate is carried out by those who most likely don't even own a lever gun - or any guns at all for that matter - but thats a different conversation.
Last edited by Mistered on Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:21 pm

I like the traditional look of the side gate, but the overall good looks of the Henry is why I bought a Henry.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234