Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Pump action 25-20 or 32-20.....

steelersfan97
Cowhand
United States of America

Pump action 25-20 or 32-20.....

Post by steelersfan97 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:55 pm

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/774275137

Does anyone here know anything about these? Though not cheap to shoot, they do look fun to shoot.
0 x
H006M, H015-223

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Pump action 25-20 or 32-20.....

Post by Mistered » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:38 pm

No specific experience with this particular rifle but it IS a Remington and if in good condition and cycles well then there is not much to question. Much like one of my WInchesters that is 118 years old it is as tight and smooth as one much newer (and arguably smoother). In the case of the 32-20 yes, ammo is going to be an issue and an expensive one. Reality being what it is older, low production calibers can only be shot economically and often by reloading and if you don't reload you might want to take this into consideration as ammo availability and cost can be prohibitive to really enjoying it.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:51 am

Mistered wrote:No specific experience with this particular rifle but it IS a Remington and if in good condition and cycles well then there is not much to question. Much like one of my WInchesters that is 118 years old it is as tight and smooth as one much newer (and arguably smoother). In the case of the 32-20 yes, ammo is going to be an issue and an expensive one. Reality being what it is older, low production calibers can only be shot economically and often by reloading and if you don't reload you might want to take this into consideration as ammo availability and cost can be prohibitive to really enjoying it.
Absolutely right. Kind of a shame, though, that more those old black powder era cartridges that made the transition into the smokeless era have fallen on tough times. For instance, back in the heyday of silhouette, the 32-20 got a boost when it was legalized to shoot in some classes. Hand loaded, the 32-20 could be a pretty hot 32 in the Contender. Had one of those barrels and it was fun to shoot, but the ammo thing pretty much killed it for us. Sold off that barrel and replaced it with a 32 H&R and a 327 barrel. I can find ammo for those.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:21 pm

Because I do reload if there was a levergun in current production or a pump for that matter I would consider one because I enjoyed the one I had in a contender barrel just like NCG did. But when I got out of the contender line of guns it also got sold.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:46 am

Kind of a shame, though, that more those old black powder era cartridges that made the transition into the smokeless era have fallen on tough times.
Yep - the introduction of the 30-30 (and smokeless powder) came af a time of a lot of changes - not only with firearms but with it U.S. itself and guns and their cartridges were simply a part of the changes. The Winchester trimmed down to the mod 94 we know today with the 30-30 round as the caliber that dominated its use. Also around this time the first bolt actions were starting to show up (with new cartridges) and ultimately became the rifle of choice for serious hunters and sportsmen. All of this combined pushed many of the earlier cartridges into obsolescence fairly quickly.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:16 am

Mistered wrote:
Kind of a shame, though, that more those old black powder era cartridges that made the transition into the smokeless era have fallen on tough times.
Yep - the introduction of the 30-30 (and smokeless powder) came at a time of a lot of changes - not only with firearms but with the U.S. itself and guns and their cartridges were simply a part of the change. The Winchester trimmed down to the mod 94 we know today with the 30-30 as the round that dominated its use. Also around this time the first bolt actions were starting to show up (with new cartridges) and ultimately became the rifle of choice for serious hunters and sportsmen. All of this combined pushed many of the earlier cartridges into obsolescence fairly quickly.
0 x