Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Older Anschutz vs Newer Savage

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Older Anschutz vs Newer Savage

Post by henry22 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:57 pm

I'm on the fence about buying another rifle. I'd like a 22LR for plinking lots of rounds. I love my Henry to pieces, but that 22 mag ammo isn't cheap, and I'm often going through 100-125 each range trip.

I saw an older (not sure what year) Anschutz 22LR single shot, bolt, at my local gunsmith's shop. It's worn, but still really classic looking, in good working shape, no rust etc. It's very likely this model, it looks exactly the same:
http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/189 ... C50EDDACE0

If I was to buy the Anschutz, compared to say a new Savage BF 22 with the new rotary magazine:
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/B22FV What would I expect with the Anschutz, vs the newer Savage. Would the Anschutz be more accurate?

I know it's only a single shot, but I'm kind of looking for a rifle that will let me "place" shots more carefully, not mag dump.

Opinions anyone?
Last edited by henry22 on Sat May 19, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Older Anschutz vs Newer Savage

Post by BigAl52 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:31 pm

I cant answer your question about which one is more accurate. But I do know that the Savage rifles I have owned have all been great shooters and very accurate. There triggers are also very good. I would not be afraid to buy one at all.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sat May 19, 2018 10:59 pm

I have three Savage rifles. Two 17's and a 22.
I restocked the one 17Bmag that came with a plastic stock.
They are all accurate. IMO Most of that accuracy is the "Accu-trigger" setup they have. The pillar bedding is good but not Remington good.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Sun May 20, 2018 7:09 am

Ojaileveraction, when you say the pillar bedding isn't as good as Remington, is it good "enough"? I basically want dime sized groups at 50 yards, I won't expect anything more after 50 yards. I shoot the Henry at 50-100, and a CZ 455 can hit 1" potatoes all day long at 100 - but the ammo is expensive.

I've been having a ton of fun shooting at 50 yards, and it makes sense to shoot cheaper ammo.

I think for some emotional reason I'm stuck on the idea of a "wooden" rifle, being "better" than anything modern production. But I have no real clue. The new Savage B22 rifles are about the same price as this used Anschutz. The Anschutz looks like it would be more difficult to get apart and clean. The bolt isn't as elegant, looks like an older war rifle, but it's slick and well used, and works.
0 x

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Sun May 20, 2018 11:07 am

If it was me I'd skip the Anschutz and look for a CZ452.
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sun May 20, 2018 11:16 am

Anschutz,CD, Savage, I'm sure any could fill the bill.
BUT here we are on the Henry forum I got to ask.
Why not a Henry 22lr. Scope an Octagon and single load it. More fun than any bolt action.
I can agree with "Only accurate rifles are interesting ".
Henry 22's fit the bill.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun May 20, 2018 11:34 am

Bugs wrote:If it was me I'd skip the Anschutz and look for a CZ452.
That is what I would do. Matter of fact I've already bought a few.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun May 20, 2018 11:51 am

While any Anschutz is a good rifle, they did make some economy class single shots with a very basic action for many, many years. In these early years, they didn't mark them with model numbers. These most basic Anscutz models are equivalent to an old Remington or Winchester single shot in terms of accuracy. In other words, very good, but unlikely to be any better than a current Savage.

To get to the level of legendary Anschutz accuracy, you need to move up into a model with their better 54/64 type actions. These guns got their best barrels and the 54/64 actions have outstanding triggers. These are the guns that were introduced into the country as Savage/Anscutz guns by Savage, sometime back in the 70s. Now, these guns, are truly outstanding and also collectible.

If you just want a shooter, I'd recommend the Savage, but, honestly, a good CZ 22 bolt gun like a 452 Trainer can be had for under $400 and these a better build quality than any Savage and at least as accurate, if not more so. If you like traditional wood and steel, you'll love a 452 Trainer. Our local Wal-mart even sells these, now, for just a bit over $300.

This one os from our CZ collection, one of two 452 Trainers. My favorite CZ 22 LR model. The tangent open sights are outstanding. Best open sights supplied by the factory of any gun made.
3 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:33 am

Ojaileveraction, — Ha, that's exactly what I've been doing with the Henry 22 mag, placing shots at 50 and 100 yards. I thought about another Henry in 22LR, they're so much damn fun, I LOVE mine, and would never sell it. It's that slick smooth action, nothing compares, but I have to start taming my consumption of 22 mag ammo. I bought 4 boxes of 200 rounds each this weekend, they went on sale at Cabela's, so I couldn't resist.

I wish Henry would release an all steel single shot break open 22LR, .22 mag, like their center-fire models, I want one in .223 so badly. My god they're handsome, and so simple.

NCG, I was actually looking at another CZ in 22LR, it's the varmint heavy barrel model, just like my 455 in .17. But I was trying to keep the price down. That rifle sells in my area for $600 + HST, not "cheap", but likely a much better rifle. I might try and locate a 452 trainer, that seems like it would fit the bill nicely.

Segue here, I had to share this. I've been using a Caldwell Rock Jr for months since I bought the Henry, and this cheap Allen rear bag, that's way too hard, too wide. The Henry tends to cant a bit in the rear rest, so I'm always fiddling with it. It works fine with the 455, flatter wider fore-end, wider rear stock etc.

Last weekend, I bought a Caldwell Deadshot dual bag kit: http://static5.uttings.info/images/prod ... _large.jpg and it's changed everything. I LOVE these bags. I can flip it over, on its side for more height, slide the rear stock back a bit in the deeper and narrower ears, to raise or lower the POA, it's amazing. It supports the entire underside of the fore-end, it's so stable. I'm shooting much tighter now, and no potato is safe with this setup. Best purchase I've made in a long time.

Sorry, had to add this..

I've noticed with the Henry 22 mag, at 50 yards, often I'll sight in with 3 shots, maybe a few more. Let's say I'm trying to shoot in the center of a 1" square on the target paper, and the bullet hole is actually high and right by 1", top right corner of that square, or slightly higher and more right, into the next square — up and above SEE: https://s31.postimg.cc/p6dvbooor/POA_vs_POI.jpg

What I'll often do is adjust the windage and elevation turrets by 2 clicks each way, LEFT 2, DOWN 2 to get closer to center. But I've noticed when I do that, then the POI is often too far left. Instead, if I do 1 click up and down each, I often get center, or very close to.

Why does that happen? You'd think that 2 clicks, 1/4 MOA each would result in bringing the POI dead on, but usually it's been 1 click. If I was off by 1.5 inches, high and right, you would assume that it would take 6 clicks, 3 DOWN and 3 LEFT, but it usually works best with, 2 clicks DOWN and 2 LEFT that bring it closest to center. ??
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon May 21, 2018 11:52 am

Henry22, I doubt the problem is with your scope or even your gun. It's more likely the 22 mag cartridge, itself. Two clicks of a 1/4 MOA adjustment scope at 50 yards is a tiny adjustment, only 1/4". Remember, on any scope adjustment, you're moving the impact of the center of a group, not individual shots, unless, of course, you have an exceptionally accurate gun that is shooting one hole groups at that distance. Then moving the scope 1/4" will move an individual shot POI 1/4". Even my best 22 mags, which have shot half inch groups, moving two clicks is still going to be trial and error to see how the POI changes. On a 22 mag that is shooting 3/4" groups, moving two clicks to see how the POI changes is going to be a whole LOT more trial and error. If all our guns shot one hole groups, adjusting a scope and sighting it in would be a whole lot easier. :)

By the way, on rimfires at 50 yards, I never shoot any less than 5 shot groups when sighting in, unless of course I've got one of those one of those guns I know is a one hole shooter.
0 x