Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

CZ 455 YoDave Kit

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

CZ 455 YoDave Kit

Post by henry22 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:51 pm

Sorry, I just didn't want this to get lost in the last post.

Can anyone please tell me, what is the purpose/function of the shims provided in this kit?
https://www.yodaveproducts.com/uploads/ ... _w640.jpeg

What do these shims do exactly, and where do they go? Do they slip over the post as a sleeve in between the post and the spring?

Thanks.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: CZ 455 YoDave Kit

Post by bandit1250 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:47 pm

I haven't put a kit in any of mine I use my own shim method I started using back in 1999 when I bought my first CZ. I believe the tube goes between the sear and action then the roll pin replaces the factory pin that you removed. That would be the front pin. Some guys told me they had to grind the staked over end of the pin to get it out. Then you have have to put it back together and see if the sear engagement is safe. The sleeve is used to take the creep out by reducing sear engagement and the springs in the kit are for the weight of pull changes by changing the spring at the rear of the trigger. I may be wrong on this but I think that is how it works. Pin has to be removed to get it out but you use the same pin over on the back pin. I will stick to my method as it works better and is much easier to reverse if I sell the rifle later.
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:08 pm

Thanks Bandit. I'm just not sure if I should even bother with that kit. My gunsmith is old school and awesome. He's reworked many triggers in his lifetime, and I'm sure he has a plan when I bring it to him.

I just want NO grittiness, minimal pre-travel, with a smooth, instant snap. No creep, and as light as I can get it, while passing the bump test.

Can he just use JB and emery cloth to smooth out the sear or something?

Much thanks dude.
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Wed May 09, 2018 2:55 am

The shim goes over the front pin that holds the trigger in place. It takes up any slack or creep in the trigger action. The kits work very well once you get the right combination of shim and spring.

If you make the trigger pull too light, though, you might find that the bolt comes out of the action whenever you cock it. Some do, some don't. I think it's just the luck of the draw.

The trigger has always been the weak point of the 452/455, but it is possible to turn it into a really effective unit by fitting a kit. Polishing the contact faces will also add an improvement.

There are several videos on YouTube - some better than others - that show the procedure.
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:31 pm

Thanks Les, I actually ordered the kit the other day. It should be here soon. When you say that "if the trigger is too light, the bolt may come out"..

What kind of weight are we talking here? Ounces? Less than a pound.

Thanks.
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Sat May 12, 2018 2:34 am

henry22 wrote:Thanks Les, I actually ordered the kit the other day. It should be here soon. When you say that "if the trigger is too light, the bolt may come out"..
What kind of weight are we talking here? Ounces? Less than a pound.
Thanks.
Yes, generally less than a pound. I had mine down to around 8 ounces at one stage, but I got fed up poking myself in the eye every time I cycled the bolt (!!), so it now releases cleanly without any fuss at around 1.2lb. I only ever do target shooting, but if I was a hunter I would probably settle for a slightly heavier trigger pull.

The Yodave kits include a roll pin to replace the front pin, which makes experimenting with shims and springs much easier.

I know a couple of club members who have managed to obtain sub-1lb trigger pulls without any bolt issues, which is why I said that "some do, some don't".

I think if you fit a thicker shim than really necessary to remove the creep, this can cause problems too, but it is around 3 years since I did my CZ 455 so I can't remember exactly what problem it caused ..... it might have been that the pull weight was very low, but unsafe on a bump test.

If you play around with the kit you will definitely end up with a safe trigger that releases cleanly without dislocating your finger! :D
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:46 pm

Just had the YoDave kit installed yesterday. Trigger is down to a pound, can't remember what shim was used, but it's SMOOOOOOTH, and slick, and light. Awesome!
0 x