Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine Review

garryj
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine Review

Post by garryj » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:56 am

I actually purchased this gun 2½ months ago, but I wanted to get all of the issues corrected before I reviewed it. The Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine is a solid firearm. There were, however, two issues which I will discuss.

The good:
This is probably one of the most underrated firearms I have personally dealt with. It is a solid, reliable (with the right magazine and rear sight) and accurate shooter. With my reloads (14gr H-110 behind a 110gr Speer TMJ) I was consistently hitting an 8” steel plate at 100 yards. I read other reviews that discussed feed ramps being very rough, causing feeding issues. I am happy to say that was not the case with the one I received as the feed ramp was polished to an almost mirror finish. I don't know if this was typical of all AO M1 Carbines or if I was lucky enough to get one that got a little extra attention. Either way, I had zero feeding problems with the JG Sales magazine.

The bad:
The supplied AO magazine's floor plate came off during my second trip to the range with it. I had bought 2 aftermarket magazines when I ordered the gun (one from Keep Shooting and one from JG Sales). The only magazine that has proven 100% reliable is the one I got from JG Sales for $9.95. I will be buying more of these.
The second and biggest issue I had was the almost useless rear flip sight. It was nowhere near on target at either 25, 50 or 100 yards with either the short or long range peep. I replaced it with a $15.00 stamped steel replica of the late issued adjustable sight from Sarco (http://www.e-sarcoinc.com) and everything improved greatly. I'll never understand why Auto Ordnance doesn't offer the adjustable rear sight as an option.
Both of these issues were easily corrected.

Overall, I would encourage anyone looking for an M1 Carbine to consider the AOM130.
AO M1SR.jpg
AO M1SL.jpg
AO M1R.jpg
AO M1L.jpg

Specs:

Caliber: .30 Carbine
Barrel: 18”
Length: 35 3/4”
Weight: 5.4 lbs
Finish: Parkerized steel
Sights: Blade front and flip style rear
Magazine: One 15 round
Stock: Walnut wood stock and handguard
Warranty: 1 year

Garry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine Review

Post by JEBar » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:49 am

many years ago I fired a WWII surplus M1 .... in retrospect, I really hate that I didn't buy one
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:30 am

I love the 30 carbine ... I've had this one since 1970 and perfect gun for under 100 yds .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:31 am

many years ago I fired a WWII surplus M1 .... in retrospect, I really hate that I didn't buy one
So did I - and so DO I!
1 x