Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

CZ 455 Varmint 22 MAG

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

CZ 455 Varmint 22 MAG

Post by henry22 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:49 am

Guys, I'm in the midst of pulling the plug on this rifle. There haven't been any available in my area, but I found one about 4 hours away. They'll ship to me, so it's easy to get my hands on.

One question about these rifles..

I've read, heard that these rifles are very accurate out of box, but would there be any benefit to bedding this rifle to ensure a better fit?

Just curious to see what people have to say about these rifles - those who actually own them or have tried them.

Much thanks
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: CZ 455 Varmint 22 MAG

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:07 am

Henry, we are avid CZ owners and shooters.

First, the accuracy you get with any CZ barrel is a crap shoot. Oh, you'll never get an out and out lemon, but some individual barrels shoot much better than others. The advantage of the 455 system, of course, is that you can change barrels and try, again. There are even some very nice aftermarket barrels available for the 455. Changing barrels is about a 5 minute job. You can even change that 22 mag to a 17 HMR or a 22 LR.

We recently purchased 455 Varmint in 22 mag and it was one of those that did not shoot up to my expectations. Since we already have another gun in 22 mag (our 1885 Low Wall Winchester) that is the most accurate 22 mag i've ever owned, we decided to just trade off the CZ 22 mag and call it good. Just didn't want to take the time to work with it.

Keep in mind, though, that was one particular CZ. We've had other CZs in 22 mags that have been great shooters. The one you get can just as easily be one of these. Have owned close to two dozen CZs, now, and that one 22 mag was the only one that disappointed me. Not too bad a batting average, then.

The quickest and easiest way to improve accuracy on a CZ rimfire is to do a quick trigger mod, often only a matter of changing out to a lighter trigger spring. It's reversible, too, should you want to return the trigger to the original setting.

My experience with bedding a new rifle and bedding rifles, in general, is to not mess with something unless you can absolutely tell it is broken. Yes, bedding can be an issue, but 9 times out of 10 when a gun is not shooting, accurately, it is NOT a bedding issue. Furthermore, you absolutely can make a rifle shoot worse by messing with the bedding. Manufacturers know very well what bedding system works best with their model's action design. Then, too, unlike a simple trigger mod, a bedding mod is not easily reversible and you risk ruining the resale value of the gun. Been there and done that one.

On a 455, experimenting with the torque settings on the two bolt screws will have far more effect on accuracy than messing with the bedding, anyway. Done that one, too.

Overall, CZ are one of the few brands I'll still buy, sight unseen. Highly recommend the brand. Be glad to help with any questions should you buy one.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:38 pm

The 455's can be great and can be not so good. They seem to have a lot more complaints than the 452's. I have bought three 455's and I now have none. Never equaled the accuracy of the 452's and had ejection issues worse than a 54 Anschutz I once wasted money on. :( I still have 12 model 452's but that is my choice of the two models and my 452's have all shot much better than the 455's I had. I won't buy another 455 but may try a 457 if it comes to this country. I have my name in at my shop for a Tikka T1X to try something different.
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:48 pm

I'm SO GLAD, you guys responded with this, because I almost bought a CZ 455 in 17 HMR today. At the hunting store I go to, they had a NO TAX day, so the rifle is 599.00 - through the weekend, no tax.

At the same time, I'm completely bummed out. I absolutely love my Henry H001M, but after successive shots at small potatoes at 100 yards, I often miss, and I don't think it's me. Maybe the barrel heating up?

My dad and I want an absolute tack driver. I know all the posts about .22 mag not being "ideal" as a target round, not as consistent as .22LR - at least that's what I've read in a few places.

It makes me wonder then guys, WHAT exactly accounts for such mediocre accuracy, and hit and miss accuracy from rifle to rifle in the same CZ 455 series? I'm all open here for being educated by you guys. Is the threaded barrel, receiver, alignment of the barrel to the receiver? I know some people who own the 455's buy aftermarket custom barrels, "match grade" etc, and have them installed.

If you told me, "Get THIS rifle, it's tried and true, and they're the most accurate rifles we've ever fired". I'd show my dad this post, and MAKE him buy that rifle.

I look at a rifle like this: http://www.nordicmarksman.com/1516-D-HB ... .html#nogo and I see the price tag — OUCH. But, would this rifle be "guaranteed" to be "MORE" accurate than anything else on the market today? If the answer was yes, I'd simply sell a few home items I've been putting off getting rid of, and finance the balance with my dad.

I just don't get it. What makes one rifle more accurate than another, and how do I determine which rifle that is for me/us?

Thanks.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:25 pm

Henry 22, I feel your pain but there are no guarantees with any brand as to accuracy, only better odds with some brands over others. Even with Anschutz, I've had examples that were no more accurate than one of my CZs. The only I can guarantee with Anschutz is that you will pay one heck of a lot more. Don't get me wrong. I do love and own Anschutz and there are plenty of other reasons to spend that kind of money on one. The pursuit of accuracy would be a lot simpler, but a lot less fascinating, if it was just a matter of spending money. :)

I can only give you the benefit of my experience with about eight CZ 455s, comparing them to almost a dozen or so 452s we've had, and let's throw in our several 453s that we have or have had. Again, my experience, here, and it's based on actual shooting at the range over many thousands of shots, not on internet gossip or hearsay. Take it for what it's worth.

Bottom line is that I would be hard pressed to prove, statistically, that there is any substantial difference in accuracy between the 452, 453 or 455. I have had examples of both great accuracy and so-so accuracy with all three model numbers, but the so-so accuracy examples are a tiny minority. For example, we have two 455 Americans in 22 LR that are every bit as accurate as our 453 Varmint in 22 LR and our Supermatch in a 452. Our 455 Ultralux has the distinction of shooting the best 100 yard open sight group I've ever shot with any rifle.

Also, of the three main rimfires, 22 LR, 22 mag and 17 HMR, the number of super accurate 22 mags I've had is small compared to the other two. It is harder to find a super shooter in 22 mag. When you do find one, hang on to it. For 100 yard work, I'd put my money into a 17 HMR. Most of them I've had will shoot one inch at 100 yards, but very few 22 mags I've had will do that. The only weakness of the 17 HMR for 100 yard work is that it is more susceptible to wind. On the other hand, 17 HMR ammo is easier to find and cheaper than 22 mag.
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:46 pm

I really appreciate your honesty and knowledge. I actually want my Dad to give me the go ahead to pick up this CZ .17 HMR, it's gorgeous, and several of the guys at the store own them and love them.

Everyone has mentioned that about the wind affecting the .17 HMR more than 22 mag, say 40-50 grain. Then I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... AsEimnr2eU

I would never contest what anyone else says — I'm not an experienced shooter. But it makes such common sense to me..

If something is traveling at X velocity, FPS, with Y bullet weight, spitzer vs round nosed, then it's only reasonable to assume that it would be affected less by wind, it's moving faster, therefore less flight time to BE affected, and it's more aerodynamic. I'm not a physicist, but it makes sense to me.

NCG, what are your thoughts on this?
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:37 am

It's based my experience with the 17 HMR at 100 yards, but it's nothing I can prove, scientifically. To be honest, the only way to even get evidence to support the theory that the 17 is more sensitive to the wind would be to shoot it with a 22 mag or 22 LR, side by side on a windy day or, better yet, over the course of several such days. That I have not done, but I think I'll do just that, sometime. Would be a good project.
0 x