Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Importance of gun fit/handling/balance to you?

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Importance of gun fit/handling/balance to you?

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:05 pm

Seems like the older I get, the more I appreciate a rifle that comes to the shoulder, naturally, with little effort; one that balances to the point where the sights (or scope crosshairs) just seem to line up on target by themselves and, lastly, one that is a joy to carry.

To be sure, this is a subjective thing, a personal taste thing and also a functional thing, based on the shooting position you use, but as rifle features go, it really doesn't get much discussion or attention, these days. Accuracy? Try to find a discussion about a rifle where that one doesn't come up. Reliability, cycling, smoothness of action? Same. Handling, balance, fit, though? Not that often.

I don't think it's a coincidence that some of the older guns designs were built with that handling thing in mind. How smooth and how quick a rifle came to your shoulder and how it balanced for you were important features in the old days. It sold rifles. Of course, shooting styles were different in the old days. Sitting at a comfy bench with a fancy rest, trying to shoot tiny groups on paper and measuring them down to the last tenth of an inch? That would have been considered odd and, for some, not even real shooting.

So, given that this whole fuzzy "hate to post this one down" or "can't stop shooting it" rifle feature, let's show some of our favorites. Here's some of mine.

My Browning semi-auto 22, the (SA-22). This one is a featherweight of a gun, yet it shoulders, perfectly, sights right on target and it holds with great steadiness, despite it's lack of weight. Great design. It should be, after all, it was designed by John Browning. This really is a jewel of a little gun to pick up and shoot. Made in Belgium, 1973, 22 LR

Here's my favorite offhand shooting rifle of all time, one I could carry all day in the squirrel woods and, in fact, I did that very thing, many times, back in the day. The Marlin 39A is proof that the way a rifle handles is more than the sum of it's technical measurements. 1946 vintage 39A, 22 LR

And here's what I consider to be the greatest 30-30 to carry and shoot ever made. Although I love my Marlin centerfire lever guns and consider the Marlin to be the superior action, I've never found a 30-30 lever gun that beats the way a Model 94 feels in the hand or at the shoulder. Model 94 Winchester, made in 1952

Oh, lots more for me to include, here, but now it's your turn. Let's see some of your "can't put it down, once I start to shoot it" rifle choices (and rifles, only, please). Time for fun, here. Go for it.
8 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Importance of gun fit/handling/balance to you?

Post by Cofisher » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:15 pm

I do not own, or have handled enough rifles to be very good at this. I do find that those that I have and like, fit me
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:24 pm

Cofisher wrote:I do not own, or have handled enough rifles to be very good at this. I do find that those that I have and like, fit me.
I'm in the same end of the pool as Cofisher. Both of my Henry's "fit", but I'm too new at shooting and with too little exposure to other rifles to have a different response. Nonetheless, I'm confident that others will be much more discerning, and I look forward to reading the "what and why" of it.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:50 pm

You knew I'd chime in on this one!
All I can say is; from the first minute I shouldered this rifle, I believed in a past life. I cannot describe how comfortable it is for me. As you know I do 80% of my shooting from a standing position, the rest is down on 1 knee for longer shots. But it comes up balanced, and fits nice and tight even with 24" of 1-piece barrel/magazine hanging out there. And cowboy eye-candy to boot... :D

150+ years later, and this design still rocks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:04 pm

Seems like the older I get, the more I appreciate a rifle that comes to the shoulder, naturally, with little effort; one that balances to the point where the sights (or scope crosshairs) just seem to line up on target by themselves and, lastly, one that is a joy to carry.
I couldn't agree more and 'appreciated' this long before 'age' came along! I am a tall, long ape armed dude who has a hard time finding rifles that fit but the one rifle that fits me like a glove, and comes to my shoulder like a Stradivarius is a 26" Octagon barreled Mod 94 and I own two of them. The shorter ones fit equally as well and my Henry BB is a close 2nd but a Mod 94 is a 'part' of me when shouldered. My Marlin Golden 39A is right in there also. Sorry, these short stocked, weird 'black' rifles and many others need not apply - give me wood, weight and balance and ANY DAY!
2 x

NoFlyZone
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by NoFlyZone » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:49 am

Great looking rifles ya-all!

I have to throw my Remington Speedmaster 552's into the ring for a great feeling rifle. At least for me it feels better than most of my 22's.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:06 pm

I have often suspected some cases of poor accuracy reported by people with certain guns is due to poor or improper fit when handled. Unfortunately this might sometimes be hard to nail down unless seen by others or actually experienced and recognized by the owner. A while back on another forum a member was reporting poor accuracy from his AR 15. When he posted a picture it was immediately evident what was wrong. He lived in a state that severely regulated the design features of an 'assault rifle' to the point it could not have a full pistol grip style stock and was so designed to eliminate this the grip was so small a complete hand could not grip it resulting in a very poor handling (and potentially dangerous) rifle.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:38 pm

Good work, folks. Keep them coming.

RR, I would have been shocked if you hadn't responded about your 1860. That rifle and you have a partnership like few I've seen.

Nofly, have always thought highly of those 552 and 572 series Remingtons. Those have stood the test of time like few 22s have.

Mistered, absolutely right on the issue of gun fit and how it can affect performance. For those of us who like to shoot without a rest, it becomes a critical issue.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:47 pm

I keep experimenting with leather stock cover on/off, and it shoulders faster without it. No doubt. More accurate with or without? Jury is still out. I don't think it's locked into me any better with the leather on the stock.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:03 pm

I have added some slip on leather recoil pads on some of our hard kicking lever guns. Even that changes the handling via changing the LOP.
Last edited by North Country Gal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x