Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Tikka T3 Forest

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Tikka T3 Forest

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:53 am

I have been patiently waiting for delivery of a Tikka T3 in 222 Remington. I wanted the now discontinued 222 Remington in the Forest model and found two places that had left over ones in stock. I had my FFL order me one and then the wait was on. I was beginning to think they maybe didn't even have what they advertised in stock. Well it finally came today and it is a nice rifle with decent wood as far a Sako's wood goes. Usually no wood lottery winners from that out fit. Their walnut is just not the darker walnut I like on a rifle. This one has some fiddle back in the butt stock with a very smooth satin finish. I may end up pointing up the checkering out near the border after shooting it for a while and finding a load for it. Have a NIB Leupold VX-2 4-12X40 AO that needs a rifle to be on so this is it. I have the triggers on my other Tikka's set very light so I will make this one pull the same. I have been sitting on 5 boxes of new Federal nickle plated Match cases for the 222 that will be used in the Tikka and keep the Remington nickle plated for my Sako Hunter 222. That is the way I identify the 222 and don't drop one in a 223 Remington. If it is nickle plated I know where it belongs. It also came with a set of rings. I may use Weaver style bases and cross bolt rings instead of the dovetail style from Tikka. I don't believe recoil of the 222 would shift the rings in the dovetails but I know for sure the cross bolt style don't move.
http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3/t3-forest
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Tikka T3 Forest

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:57 pm

Waiting is something I learned to do in the military. Hurry up and wait should have been our motto... but I never learned to like it. I think they put cargo pockets on the utilities for paperback books. :D
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:18 pm

What a sweet little rifle in an even sweeter to shoot cartridge. Class setup, all the way, the Leupold scope included. (Have that same scope on one of the single shots and love it. Nice trim 41-12 AO scope and good optics.)

I wouldn't bother with aftermarket rings on a .222. I think the factory rings will be fine. Kind of nice to keep it all Tikka. :)
1 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:07 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:Waiting is something I learned to do in the military. Hurry up and wait should have been our motto... but I never learned to like it. I think they put cargo pockets on the utilities for paperback books. :D
Ain't that the truth, brother!
3 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:38 pm

I removed the barreled action from the stock today and cleaned the packing grease off it. It was only a light amount and nothing like trying to clean that stuff from a new CZ. Cleaned the bore with solvent and patches. I adjusted the trigger and they are easy to do. It was just like my Tikka 595 and my T3 Lite needing a small flat spot filed on the trigger mounting screw to get enough clearance for the adjustment screw to get the pull weight to 1 1/2 lb. If I wanted to go lighter it would need a little more clearance filed on the mounting screw. I will leave it where it is for now as it is the exact same weight as my 223 T3 Lite. My 595 Continental is lighter at 1 lb. but it is my ground hog and paper shooting rifle. I have it ready now to mount the Leupold scope and maybe go shoot it while my wife is away in Oregon visiting her family with the passing of her brother last week. I will be "roughing" it alone for a week. First time in 18 years for us not to be together every day. Hoping she has a safe trip out and back.
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:40 pm

Hang in there, bandit. I know the feeling. I don't do the solo thing very well, at all.
2 x

2guns
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 2guns » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:40 am

For any rifle in Sako or Tikka it appears Euro Optics has the market for them. I ordered 2 last year. Delivered to my FFL in 3 days and decent prices. Haven't checked since November last year.
0 x