Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Marlin 30AS

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Marlin 30AS

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:47 am

Do I see a scope mount and hammer extension on it? Are you going to scope it? It would really look nice with a straight tube scope.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

TRock
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TRock » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:26 pm

Sir Henry wrote:Do I see a scope mount and hammer extension on it? Are you going to scope it? It would really look nice with a straight tube scope.
Yes sir, you certainly do. The gentleman I got it from had it scoped. To be honest, and my dad always told me to be, I haven't decided which way to go yet. A straight scope would look nice.

I appreciate everyones input. I haven't been on this paticular forum long, but I feel welcome and thanks for letting me be a part of it. Thanks again. :)
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:09 pm

Mistered wrote:Nice! look forward to seeing it! It seems there is a bit of a Renaissance with lever action in general from what I am seeing on other forums, people I talk to AND the responses to for sale ads for levers. Heck I have even seen people trying to offer their 'beloved' black rifles and ammo in trade for a Lever when so offered.
I do hope we are having a Lever Action Renaissance. The image of a lever action rifle has great appeal. Mostly the Lever Action experience is load, shoot, repeat. Limited technical knowledge required.
In 1974 I bought a Glenfield 36G from my LGS. The Glenfields were derided as Store Brand wanabe Marlins. Now they're prizes.
I can imagine the day when people will be desperately hunting for an early year rifle from Henry Repeating Arms.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:41 pm

I do hope we are having a Lever Action Renaissance.
Not only with just lever action but 'traditional' guns in general. Classic Smith & Wessons (pre lock & low dash models) are heating up on the used market along with other wheel guns in general. I could be wrong but I am seeing evidence of the 'black' gun craze coming to an end or seriously cooling off and there are few possible reasons for this. The 20 - somethings that were a big part of the rising tide of the black gun craze in the era of the 94 AWB are now 40 somethings and are becoming a bit more 'worldly' and not so interested anymore in just slinging ammo cans of lead. If they are continuing in the shooting sports I believe they are looking to the traditional for a better shooting experience and less ammo cost. I don't think younger people are embracing shooting sports as much as the generations ahead of them and black gun sales are definitely in the toilet. Overproduction of inexpensive guns by manufacturers hedging on a Hillary win backfired and the result is a serious glut of them on the market with prices at unheard of lows right now. I believe the sub $400 AR now exists somewhere. Regardless it is happening for whatever reason(s) and I believe the 'wave' has crested and the waters are receding.....
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:28 pm

Now that's real purty!
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:38 pm

Nicest 30AS I have ever seen!
1 x

TRock
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TRock » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:09 am

I was brought up around the traditional guns and looked at them as an art collection also.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:25 am

Gee, showing my age, here, but I grew up when there was no such term as a "black gun". In fact, I remember some gun shops in those early days that refused to sell or buy any military guns unless they were sporterized versions. Things sure have changed, of course, but I can't blame local gunshops for selling black guns and the polymer guns. Most of them would go broke in a hurry if only sold the traditional stuff.

As for me, my first gun was a Marlin lever gun and have had many, since, not to mention Winchesters and others. The lever gun never went out of style for me. All the same, I think Mistered is right about a resurgence of interest in lever guns, these last ten years or so. Have to give credit to the sport of cowboy action shooting and companies like Henry for keeping the lever gun tradition alive and even growing. Long live the lever gun!
1 x