Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Winchester 94 accuracy improvement.

Twotone
Cowhand
Great Britain

Winchester 94 accuracy improvement.

Post by Twotone » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:03 pm

Hi all,
Still going through loads etc on this old 94 and decided to follow a suggestion about removing forestock and sanding back any contact points and loosening barrel bands, I actually filed the insides back a little. Put the rifle back together with screws loose enough so there was a little bit pf movement of the mag tube,and took it to the range tonight.
At 30 yds first three shots touching , using the basic fitted irons in poor light. Same load I had not been getting a decent result with, the difference in the accuracy of this old rifle is amazing. Before the groups were 2-3” on a good day.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Winchester 94 accuracy improvement.

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:05 pm

Good for you. Sometimes it really is those little things.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:31 pm

happy to hear about the improving accuracy of your94 .... I really wish you had access to Combined Technologies Ballistic Slivertip spitzer boat tail bullets .... their advancement in technology has really proven to be impressive in ours
1 x

Twotone
Cowhand
Great Britain

Post by Twotone » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:06 pm

Hi both
Yes me too, the only bullets i can get here are the lyman 173 gn and a 150 gn fmj. The 150 so far has proved pretty awful using Imr4198 but really happy with this powder and the lyman cast bullet with a GC.
A friend has just secured me another 30-30 from an auction , this 94 dates to 1920 and is in incredible condition, part of a private collection being sold after the owner passed. Have to wait a month before i pick it up so my wife doesnt hit me on the head with it, ha ha.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:12 pm

Twotone wrote:Have to wait a month before i pick it up so my wife doesn't hit me on the head with it, ha ha.
only a month .. :!: ..

my 94 was handed down from my Grandfather .... it was made in 1941 and has earned every scrape, scratch, ding, blemish, and gouge
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:22 pm

decided to follow a suggestion about removing forestock and sanding back any contact points and loosening barrel bands, I actually filed the insides back a little. Put the rifle back together with screws loose enough so there was a little bit pf movement of the mag tube
What you have done may help a bit but the Mod 94 is NOT a rifle that is going to benefit much from loosening parts and sanding away contact points. Unlike a bolt action rifle where the action and barrel LAY within a carved out stock, the Mod 94 has the stock attached to the action and the forestock is a separate part which is under the barrel and is nested in the recess in the front of the action and banded on the front so it in effect becomes a part of the barrel. This arrangement does not really put any adverse pressure on the barrel where contact points will matter much.
You have mentioned poor lighting before. Poor lighting will affect accuracy dramatically in that you need to be able to see your sights to shoot well. Find an good outdoor location to shoot and you will no doubt see a dramatic difference.
Also if you might consider changing sights. Standard Buckhorns are the benchmark on a lever action but only with good lighting. A Williams peep rear will really improve your sight picture and improve accuracy due to the greater light gathering ability around the aperture which allows the front sight to be seen much more clearly. Your Mod 94 should be pre drilled and tapped for a Williams. The Williams on one of my 94s.
1 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:41 pm

Twotone wrote:Hi both
Yes me too, the only bullets i can get here are the lyman 173 gn and a 150 gn fmj. The 150 so far has proved pretty awful using Imr4198 but really happy with this powder and the lyman cast bullet with a GC.
A friend has just secured me another 30-30 from an auction , this 94 dates to 1920 and is in incredible condition, part of a private collection being sold after the owner passed. Have to wait a month before i pick it up so my wife doesnt hit me on the head with it, ha ha.
For accurate FMJ loads you'll need a powder that gives you a higher fill percentage, in the range of 85% maybe. With your limited choices I don't know.
IMR3031 is my go to, 30-30 powder for Jacketed bullets.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:57 pm

For accurate FMJ loads you'll need a powder that gives you a higher fill percentage, in the range of 85% maybe. With your limited choices I don't know.
IMR3031 is my go to, 30-30 powder for Jacketed bullets.
I agree - especially with the heavier bullets. I too have used 3031 over the years with heavier jacketed bullets with excellent accuracy.
0 x

Twotone
Cowhand
Great Britain

Post by Twotone » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:21 am

Hi all,
Great comments. I have to say though that I have been playing with this rifle and different loads for a few months and having loosened the screws etc the difference in the same lighting and loads was dramatic last night, I dont think I suddenly became a better shot, but I have not so far been able to get groups anywhere near this.
I have though just purchased a Williams FP sight as well as a skinner for my Henry which has taken a bit of a back seat whilst getting absorbed with the 94. You are right, when I get outside in good light things do improve a lot , just that the opportunities for that here in the mountains of Wales at this time of year are few due to weather so I spend emost of my shooting time in an underground tunnel!
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:45 am

How old is your '94? Winchester didn't start to drill and tap the receiver for a peep sight until 1952. On older guns, a Skinner barrel mount peep is an option, though.
1 x