Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Winchester 94 accuracy improvement.

Twotone
Cowhand
Great Britain

Re: Winchester 94 accuracy improvement.

Post by Twotone » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:00 am

Hi North country gal, I have two now! The one Inhave been playing around with dates from 1970 and has definitely been modded as the cartridge lifter and a few other parts have been changed out for earlier fittings. I will have the peep on tomorrow to see how that goes but as I said, loosening bands and forestock seems to have taken this rifle to a different place. I already had a smith check the barrel etc and it is cery clean un worn condition but different loads and bullets, even though choice is limited here, were proving poor. I now have bullets touching using the semi buckhorn sights, admittedly only at 30yds but that was a revelation compared to what I had been getting before.
Just acquired a 1920 version which I am waiting to arrive which appears to be in excellent condition and rarely shot so the adventure goes on, I do love these rifles.
By the way, have a happy Christmas across the pond and best wishes from here for a good new year everyone
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:14 am

Congrats on the ‘new’ Winchester. This will give you an excellent opportunity to compare to your 70s model with regard to accuracy. Give the new one a good cleaning and go shoot it with the same ammo you have been using in the 70s model and please do NOT go loosening up anything on it ! As I said previously a mod 94 does not really benefit from this due to its design.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:54 pm

Happy Christmas to you, too, Twotone.

A 1920 vintage Model 94 in great shape. Amazing! As, above, don't even think of doing any mods on that one. Treat it as the very special rifle that it is. Most of us, over here, will never have a chance at such a fine Winchester. That's prime vintage for a Model 94.
0 x

Twotone
Cowhand
Great Britain

Post by Twotone » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:00 pm

Hi North country gal,
This rifle was being auctioned among a large collection from some toff’s private estate. He passed and the family sold them all, no bids came in for it. They are not very popular over here and i was just real lucky. No worries it wont be touched no matter how it shoots.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:32 pm

FWIW I have an 1899 Klondike Sporting Rifle (26" octagon barrel with no SR) in 30-30 and when I got it I gave it a quick cleaning and a good barrel scrub and it was shooting inside of 2" at 50 yards the next day - and this was with a bent rear buckhorn and a worn original front sight. I suspect it will do much better when I put a tang sight on it with a gold bead front.
1 x