Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

working a right handed bolt left handed

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

working a right handed bolt left handed

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:19 pm

I'm a south paw and have always worked the action with my left hand going over the top of the receiver. Some bolt actions like an 03A3 and Enfield have a smooth action and it is not a problem. Others like a Mauser and Nagant are not so easy.

I would like to have a bolt action Mare's Leg and was wondering if I should start from a left or right handed bolt pistol? I believe most bolt action pistols which are meant to be shot right handed have a left handed bolt. Keeping you trigger hand on the stock seems like it would be fast to work the action AND get back on target. I can shoot equally bad right or left handed.

I shoot my Mare's Legs just like a rifle except of course I don't have a buttstock. Shooting it this way would limit the caliber to something like a .223 because getting your eye so close to the sight might not be a great idea with something more powerful.

Any thoughts?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: working a right handed bolt left handed

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:03 am

Sir Henry wrote:I'm a south paw and have always worked the action with my left hand going over the top of the receiver. Some bolt actions like an 03A3 and Enfield have a smooth action and it is not a problem. Others like a Mauser and Nagant are not so easy.

I would like to have a bolt action Mare's Leg and was wondering if I should start from a left or right handed bolt pistol? I believe most bolt action pistols which are meant to be shot right handed have a left handed bolt. Keeping you trigger hand on the stock seems like it would be fast to work the action AND get back on target. I can shoot equally bad right or left handed.

I shoot my Mare's Legs just like a rifle except of course I don't have a buttstock. Shooting it this way would limit the caliber to something like a .223 because getting your eye so close to the sight might not be a great idea with something more powerful.

Any thoughts?
Actually, most bolt action pistols have had the bolt on the right hand side, same as right handed bolt rifles, reason being they were intended to be used for hunting, not really formal target work where you're shooting a string of shots. (My fault for not making that clear when we talked about it on your visit.) These would include the Remington XP, Savage Striker, Weatherby and so on.

An example of a bolt pistol made for competition with a bolt on the left side is my Anschutz Exemplar. The Exemplar 22 LR bolt pistol was made at the end of Silhouette's heyday in the late 80s and early 90s. It was designed specifically for the sport of Silhouette with the bolt on the left side so that there was no need to change your grip when holding it in your right hand for the next shot. Being able to maintain a constant grip with your right hand while working the action, as you mentioned, is a advantage for accuracy work and, yes, this is a bolt gun designed to be held in the right hand. I often joke that the Exemplar is the most accurate 22 "rifle" in our collection, but it really will put most bolt action 22s to shame, as in an easy under half inch at 50 yards from a rest. With it's fully adjustable two stage trigger factory set at 8 ounces, but adjustable to go even lower, the Exemplar provides a truly unique shooting experience.

If you want a right handed bolt pistol (designed to be held with the right hand) with a bolt on the left side, same as the Exemplar, look at the very affordable Keystone Arms Cricket or the Chipmunk pistols. Neat little guns. Not competition grade guns with fancy triggers, but way more affordable than trying to find a used Exemplar.

Back to your discussion, if you want to hold the gun in your left hand, and not have to reach over the gun to operate the bolt, be an easy matter to use any standard right handed bolt gun action to build your ML. This would be one of the few instances where bing a left handed shooter would not be a disadvantage. :D
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:22 am

The problem with the Cricket and Chipmunk is they are rifles and not pistols. I need to start with a pistol because that will be the end product. The Henry Mare's Legs are of course pistols but being a lever action your trigger hand leaves the stock. Shooting a bolt action I would not have that problem.

The Keystone's are too cheap and I am not sure I would do what I want to do to an Anschutz. Whatever I get it needs to be rimfire, either .22LR or .17HMR. The .22WMR doesn't appeal to me. And it would be great if the pistol receiver would also take an already made cut down rifle stock such as the Ruger Charger and 10/22. That was an easy one to do but I want a bolt action Mare's Leg.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:59 am

They do make them in a pistol version, too.

http://www.keystonesportingarmsllc.com/ ... er-pistol/

Very basic action, so I'm sure you could enhance the trigger, if need be.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:26 pm

North Country Gal wrote:They do make them in a pistol version, too.

http://www.keystonesportingarmsllc.com/ ... er-pistol/

Very basic action, so I'm sure you could enhance the trigger, if need be.
I was just searching online and discovered they do indeed make pistols. Now I'm going to up my requirements and say it needs to be a magazine feed firearm. Having a single shot defeats the reason for me wanting a bolt action Mare's Leg.

If I could just cut down the barrel and buttstock of a rifle that would be easy. But I don't want to go to prison so I'm searching for a legal way of doing it.

1. start from a pistol
2. magazine fed
3. taking a stock from a rifle using the same basic receiver
4. I can do this from either a right or left handed pistol as I can shoot either
5. I don't want to butcher a high end firearm but also don't want a cheep shooter
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:32 pm

You can do it, legally, if you get the stamp and if you get the approval and if you do all the necessary paper work from the BATF. Me, I wouldn't want one that bad.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:18 pm

In the past all my bolt rifles have been heavy military rifles and I could not hold them with the trigger hand. Shooting left handed I had to keep the forearm grip and use my left hand reaching over the receiver to work the action. But I got thinking of using a lighter rifle such as my CZ 452 Scout. Shooting it left handed I CAN hold it with my left hand on the grip and work the bolt with my right hand.

I'm going to practice both ways of left and right handed working the bolt. Right handed I would work the bolt just like it was intended to be worked.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:24 am

Why not build one in your favor for a change instead of working the bolt with the right hand. Surely there must be something out there you could convert to run the bolt with the left hand. Just sayin.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:31 am

Hmmm.... I’m sitting here working an invisible bolt on an invisible rifle. I’m a southpaw, too, and I have always worked the bolt with my right hand. Just seemed easier than reaching over and using my left hand.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:08 am

ditto1958 wrote:Hmmm.... I’m sitting here working an invisible bolt on an invisible rifle. I’m a southpaw, too, and I have always worked the bolt with my right hand. Just seemed easier than reaching over and using my left hand.
How do you support the firearm and keeping it reasonably on target?
0 x