Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Savage 10FCP-SR 24” in .308 Win

garryj
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Savage 10FCP-SR 24” in .308 Win

Post by garryj » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:11 pm

I wasn't sure weather I should post this here or in the review section, so mods correct me if in error.

This is my review of my Savage 10FCP-SR 24” in .308 Win. The only thing I added was a Barska 6-24X50 scope and an Extreme Duty TriDelta Muzzle Brake from CMB(custommuzzlebrakes.com). After getting near zero @ 50 yards, I moved the target to 100 yards. The supplied magazine was too frustrating to use, so I started single loading. The first groups were not too impressive(right target). It seems this gun likes near max loads as the max load of Varget for the 168gr is 44gr. I never load to max, but I did load some to 43gr and this load performed best(group B on the left target .802)although the 42.5gr was a very close second(group C on the left target .804). All in all, I think that with a better scope and working up a good load with heaver bullets, this can be a very good long range rifle. Definitely very good bang for the buck..

Specs from Savage:
Series: Law Enforcement
Magazine: Detachable box
Stock Material: Synthetic
Barrel Material: Carbon Steel
Barrel Finish: Matte
Barrel Color: Black
AccuTrigger: Yes
AccuStock: Yes
1-piece 0 MOA scope rail
Fluted and Threaded Barrel

Garry
Savage 10FCP-SR.JPG
Savage2.jpg
Savage1.jpg
Savage3.jpg
Savage4.jpg
Savage5.jpg
Savage6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by garryj on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Savage 10FCP-SR 24” in .308 Win

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:52 pm

I really like a 308, my Browning BLR is one of my favorite rifles .... what was your motivation for installing the Extreme Duty TriDelta Muzzle Brake ? .... does it redirect any of the muzzle blast back toward the face of the shooter ? .... just curious, what did you find to be so frustrating with the magazine ? .... any thoughts on how to improve it ?
0 x

garryj
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by garryj » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:09 pm

JEBar wrote:I really like a 308, my Browning BLR is one of my favorite rifles .... what was your motivation for installing the Extreme Duty TriDelta Muzzle Brake ? .... does it redirect any of the muzzle blast back toward the face of the shooter ? .... just curious, what did you find to be so frustrating with the magazine ? .... any thoughts on how to improve it ?
Yes, the .308 has been my favorite since my Navy days with the M-14. While most would agree that the recoil on the .308 is relatively mild, any reduction in recoil helps with accuracy on a long range rifle and that's exactly what a muzzle brake does; it redirects the muzzle blast outward and upward, thus reducing recoil. The felt recoil on my rifle is approximately that of a .243. The only caveat to a muzzle brake is an increase in noise as the sound also travels up and out instead of downrange. If you're referring as to why I chose this particular muzzle brake, It was on sale and it looks cool. 8-) As for the magazine, it would not strip any rounds after the first one. Savage sent me a second magazine and I got the same results with it. It really isn't a big deal for a bench gun(which is what this is)so I deal with it by single loading. It I ever decide to do any hunting with it, I will send it to Savage for repair.

Garry
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:21 pm

makes sense to me .... info appreciated .... many years ago (before threaded barrels and muzzle brakes were on the scene) I started having my barrels Mag-na-ported to deal with muzzle jump and reduce recoil .... that still works for me .... just curious, is there a Savage forum where you might go to for info
0 x

garryj
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by garryj » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:06 pm

Links provided:

http://www.savagearms.com/ or http://www.savageshooters.com/ for info on and to discuss their firearms.

Garry
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:24 pm

I don't own any Savage firearms .... I was just wondering if you could go there to find any info on the magazine issue
0 x

garryj
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by garryj » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:31 am

I've already extensively researched the magazine issue and it is a known issue with this rifle. Most owners that want the issue fixed just replace the bottom metal or the entire stock to one that uses AR-10 magazines. I have just decided to live with it for now. Someday I may have Savage fix it or just replace the stock myself. There is a third party magazine that the maker guarantees will work, but at $90.00+ a pop, I don't think I'll chance it.

Garry
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:42 am

Funny, but I was looking at Savages when purchasing a bolt .22 WMR but didn't like the loose fit of the magazine. It was almost like it was for the wrong gun, shame.

Great shooting, though, thanks..............
0 x